Give me the low-down on the oil...

Old September 5th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

Default Give me the low-down on the oil...

I have ' 92 SL2 since new with 120K on it now. It does use some oil but
nothing yet to be concerned about between 4K oil changes. Currently am
using 10w30 as I always have. I have access to good quality bulk oil
in two grades, either 10w40 or 15w40.

It seems in past postings I have read, NOT to use 10w40 in newer modern
engines. I don't have a problem with the 15w40, but could someone
explain the reasoning for the 10w40 issues, if any at all. Everyone's
opinion are appreciated.

Thanks, James

Old September 5th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 4 Sep 2006 18:21:14 -0700, "James1549" >
wrote:

>It seems in past postings I have read, NOT to use 10w40 in newer modern
>engines. I don't have a problem with the 15w40, but could someone
>explain the reasoning for the 10w40 issues, if any at all. Everyone's
>opinion are appreciated.

THe reason that 10w40 is not approved in modern engine is because a
large amount of VI (Viscocity Improver) is need in conventail oil to
give it that range. VI tends to cook out of oil in piston ring area
with time and cause them to stick if not changed frequently. 15w40
does not have this problem. GM had boatloads of stuck ring problems in
80's that lead them to no longer approve 10w40.
TheSnoMan.com