66 Dart cvt world's best collector car

Old October 9th 05, 11:30 AM
Geoff Berrow

Default 66 Dart cvt world's best collector car

I noticed that Message-ID: >
from edward ohare contained the following:

>>66 Dart cvt world's best collector car

>Hey, Punt, that's really creative, if I do say so myself. I like it!

'Sfunny, whenever I see the word 'Dart' I think of some pointy thing.
Never imagined it would turn out to be a car that looks like it has a
pool table for a bonnet. Oops, Britspeak, I mean hood.

Anyway, when you say 'Dart' I always think of this one:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/...rt_lhd_1_l.jpg

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Old October 9th 05, 06:43 PM
Grumpy AuContraire

I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
cars he had ever encountered...

JT

Old October 9th 05, 07:03 PM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID: > from
Grumpy AuContraire contained the following:

>I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
>within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
>cars he had ever encountered...

Most people have never even heard of them. They were not popular. But
with a V8 in a fibre glass body I imagine they were quick.
Old October 9th 05, 07:06 PM
Mike P

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
> within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
> cars he had ever encountered...
>
> JT

My AMC Pacer was better than that thing.

Mike
Who is selling his 52 Chev. Pick-up in the morning.

Old October 9th 05, 07:26 PM
redc1c4

Mike P wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> > I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
> > within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
> > cars he had ever encountered...
> >
> > JT

> My AMC Pacer was better than that thing.
>
> Mike
> Who is selling his 52 Chev. Pick-up in the morning.

*NOW* you tell me.

redc1c4,
(not like i had the money, but still..... %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old October 9th 05, 08:18 PM
Mike P

redc1c4 wrote:
> Mike P wrote:
>
>>Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>>
>>>I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
>>>within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
>>>cars he had ever encountered...
>>>
>>>JT

>>My AMC Pacer was better than that thing.
>>
>>Mike
>>Who is selling his 52 Chev. Pick-up in the morning.

> *NOW* you tell me.
>
> redc1c4,
> (not like i had the money, but still..... %-)

She is cherry down to the tube radio, and hand crank. I put in a floor
starter, and added real drive in movie speakers to add to the one
speaker that was in it. Wipers still work on a vacuum as well. Bought
her in 1980 for ten dollars at Fort Bragg, NC.
P.S. comes with extra tubes for the radio, and a few parts.

Mike
Old October 10th 05, 07:11 AM
Grumpy AuContraire

I had a '77 Gremlin beater back in the 1980's that was pretty quick (2
barrel 258 straight six) and practical.

JT

Old October 10th 05, 08:19 AM
Mike P

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> I had a '77 Gremlin beater back in the 1980's that was pretty quick (2
> barrel 258 straight six) and practical.
>
> JT

We had a Opel GT once at Fort Hood we cut the top off of, and used as a
jeep. That little four barrel ran like clock work till we hit a skunk. I
think it's still in Belton Lake where we pushed it.

Mike

Old October 10th 05, 09:33 AM
edward ohare

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Geoff Berrow
> wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: > from
>Grumpy AuContraire contained the following:
>
>>I remember when a friend bought one of 'em new and he got rid of it
>>within three months. He claimed that it was one of the worst handling
>>cars he had ever encountered...

>Most people have never even heard of them. They were not popular. But
>with a V8 in a fibre glass body I imagine they were quick.

There is a general assumption that fiberglass is chosen for weight
advantages. Its generally not. On cars that have mostly steel body
parts, the ones that are fiberglass are the ones that have complex
shapes that are easier to mold out of fiberglass than stamp out of
steel, like the header panels and quarter extensions on these cars.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/...-brougham.html

On cars where all/most of the body panels are fiberglass, fiberglass
is generally chosen because the car was expected to be low production,
and start up cost for stamping metal body parts is much higher than
start up cost for molding fiberglass parts. Thus, the start up cost
can be paid for with fewer production units with fiberglass. As
examples, the SP250, Avanti, Corvette, any kit car.

I don't have weight info on the SP250, but the Corvette and Avanti
aren't light for their size.
Old October 10th 05, 02:27 PM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID: >
from edward ohare contained the following:

>I don't have weight info on the SP250, but the Corvette and Avanti
>aren't light for their size.

I have it on authority from someone who had one that they went like the
proverbial excrement off a digging implement, but that may be apocryphal