alternator vs generator

Old September 15th 05, 01:17 AM
Patriot

Default alternator vs generator

Hello,

I have a 1964 1/2 mustang. I'd like to see if someone call tell me know
to determine if it has either an alternator or generator. I know that the
early 64's were suppose to have generators and later in 64 they used
alternators. What prompted my attention to this, is the fact that the
in-dash warning light says "ALT" and not "GEN". There doesn't appear to be
any marks on the unit that I can see (from the top). I do know for sure that
it is a 64 1/2 as the date code is 15D (April 15th of 1964).

Thanks,
David

Old September 15th 05, 01:55 AM
Jim Warman

The generator is physically larger, especially in legth than the alternator.
The is a cooling fan mounted next to the pulley but no slots around the
outside of the generator... only a few slots in the rear face-frame.
Additionally, the generator mounted on the left front of the motor using a
large "Y" shaped casting (this is totally from memories that are much older
than 30 years.

Old September 15th 05, 03:10 AM
Spike

Jim, if it's a Gen would it still have a regulator mounted on the
right fender in the engine well?

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:55:41 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>The generator is physically larger, especially in legth than the alternator.
>The is a cooling fan mounted next to the pulley but no slots around the
>outside of the generator... only a few slots in the rear face-frame.
>Additionally, the generator mounted on the left front of the motor using a
>large "Y" shaped casting (this is totally from memories that are much older
>than 30 years.
>

>"Patriot" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a 1964 1/2 mustang. I'd like to see if someone call tell me

>know
>> to determine if it has either an alternator or generator. I know that the
>> early 64's were suppose to have generators and later in 64 they used
>> alternators. What prompted my attention to this, is the fact that the
>> in-dash warning light says "ALT" and not "GEN". There doesn't appear to be
>> any marks on the unit that I can see (from the top). I do know for sure

>that
>> it is a 64 1/2 as the date code is 15D (April 15th of 1964).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be....
Children are obscene but should not be heard
Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!
Old September 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Jim Warman

Yes... the regulator would be mounted in the same place and would look the
same as the early alternator regulators (this is before we saw solid state
regulators).

When alternators made their first appearance on the market is about when we
started seeing the first "dinosaurs" in the trade. I can't recall how many
horror stories I heard about guys trying to "polarize" an alternator....

Old September 15th 05, 03:57 AM
Patriot

Thanks Jim for the info. From what I can figure, it is indeed an alternator.
I managed to dig up a photo of a generator and one of an alternator. So my
next question is, why would someone have replaced the generator with an
alternator and change the warning light on the console. Seems like it would
take away some of the value of the vehicle since it is not entirely
original. Also, i've done alot of reading on serial matching, and how the
engine serial number matches the body, etc. Where would I find the serial
number on the engine? Its an in-line 6 170Cu.In. I'm wondering if perhaps
its not the original engine, maybe?

Thanks again!
David

Old September 15th 05, 04:01 AM
Michael Seeley

Can't tell you which it has. A generator makes an AC voltage that is
rectified through diodes into a dc voltage in a seperate circuit.
Alternaters have this circuit attached to the back of the generators. If you
have a generator there is more than likely a seperate device on the firewall
or inner fender to convert the AC to DC

Old September 15th 05, 04:22 AM
Jim Warman

Whoopsie.... the "Y" bracket, AFAIK, only applied to the V8s. Also, if it
was a V*, all we'd need to do is count the bellhousing bolts to determine
the "numbers" status.

Engine serial number was usually on a flat machined pad somewhere near the
cylinder head mounting surface (Gawd, you know how to stretch an old mans
memory....). You may be further ahead looking at some of the Mustang forums
on the web or checking with the Mustang NG.

. ..

Old September 15th 05, 04:40 AM
66 6F HCS

"Patriot" > wrote
> So my next question is, why would someone have replaced the generator with
> an alternator and change the warning light on the console. Seems like it
> would take away some of the value of the vehicle since it is not entirely
> original.

Are you SURE it's a 64 1/2 then? Remember 64 1/2 is a hobby designation, not
a Ford one, since all 64 1/2's are technically 65's.

They used up what they had on the assembly line until it was gone, so maybe
you got a car with the 64 1/2 front clip but the newer generator and gauge??
I've seen some pretty freaky things happen with the cars from 65 and 66.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old September 15th 05, 05:38 AM
Big Al

"Michael Seeley" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Can't tell you which it has. A generator makes an AC voltage that is
> rectified through diodes into a dc voltage in a seperate circuit.

On what planet? Here on Earth generators produce DC. A generator has no
diodes. They have a commutator, not slip rings like an alternator, and the
output is rectified by it.
..
Commutator: A cylindrical arrangement of insulated metal bars connected to
the coils of a direct-current electric motor or generator, providing a
unidirectional current from the generator or a reversal of current into the
coils of the motor.

Al Old enough to know

Old September 15th 05, 01:48 PM
Michael Seeley

Thanks for the clarification Al, I believe if you go check an alternato on
your car you can purchase a diode pack to repair it. The problem with using
a DC generator is that Brushes wear out fairly quickly, But if you'd like to
have a more in depth discussion of electrical theory I'd be more than happy
to listen. BTW Edison wanted the grid to be powered by DC