Uber-noob needs help: Ultra stupid question

Old November 12th 05, 02:09 AM
amp_noob

Default Uber-noob needs help: Ultra stupid question

Hi--

My '58 Type I turns over but won't start.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn; I'm surfing
for answers on the 'net and scouring my two books, but until three days ago
had absolutely no idea of what anything in the engine is for, what the
components are called, et cetera. I know absolutely nothing.

That said, I'm trying to gain an understanding of the electrical components
in the engine.

My stupid question is this: In the distributor, if the points are apart and
I take a multimeter and test the (separated) points, should it be reading as
a closed circuit, like it does if the two points are together?

Regards,
Noob

Old November 12th 05, 02:26 AM
P.J. Berg

amp_noob wrote:
> Hi--
>
> My '58 Type I turns over but won't start.
>
> I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn; I'm surfing
> for answers on the 'net and scouring my two books, but until three days ago
> had absolutely no idea of what anything in the engine is for, what the
> components are called, et cetera. I know absolutely nothing.
>
> That said, I'm trying to gain an understanding of the electrical components
> in the engine.
>
> My stupid question is this: In the distributor, if the points are apart and
> I take a multimeter and test the (separated) points, should it be reading as
> a closed circuit, like it does if the two points are together?
>
> Regards,
> Noob

Buy a book, to much to aske for any of us sharing knowledge that goes
back to the early dawn....
This is saying you could be any arshclock, whilst the rest of us have
related to aircooled VW engines/cars longer than what your father spendt
being nice to your muttha.

If you are sincere I will pardon myself at a latter stage.
When in the shower keep thy hands to your self!

That is a joke!

J.
Old November 12th 05, 02:38 AM
amp_noob

Is that your way of saying you don't know?

Old November 12th 05, 02:43 AM
amp_noob

Nevermind, I've found a helpful site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~goodspeeds/POINTS.HTM.

Old November 12th 05, 02:56 AM
Speedy Jim

amp_noob wrote:

> Hi--
>
> My '58 Type I turns over but won't start.
>
> I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn; I'm surfing
> for answers on the 'net and scouring my two books, but until three days ago
> had absolutely no idea of what anything in the engine is for, what the
> components are called, et cetera. I know absolutely nothing.
>
> That said, I'm trying to gain an understanding of the electrical components
> in the engine.
>
> My stupid question is this: In the distributor, if the points are apart and
> I take a multimeter and test the (separated) points, should it be reading as
> a closed circuit, like it does if the two points are together?
>
> Regards,
> Noob

Go to my web site and look for: "Why won't my engine start?"
Takes you step-by-step.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 12th 05, 08:54 PM
amp_noob

Hi, thanks, Jim.

Turns out I had shorted the condenser.

I think, during all my messing about the past four days, I must have lost an
insulating washer that is supposed to go on the inside of the distributor--I
don't see how else one can avoid creating a short circuit with the wiring
from terminal 1 & the coil.

I've put a piece of electrical tape where (I imagine) the insulating washer
should be, and the car starts right up.

Now to fix the timing...

Stupid question about tires Robert P. Saturn 3 September 9th 04 12:15 AM
Stupid Question BxP9 Saturn 1 September 4th 04 02:00 PM
stupid question R.Reppy Dodge 6 June 14th 04 09:39 PM