headgasket? repair or not?

Old July 4th 05, 09:53 PM
93civic

Default headgasket? repair or not?

Bought 93 Civic DX new, have done all regular maintenance. Past 1~2yrs it
stared using oil. No sign of drips or smoke, and passed Air Care testing
for BC cars. No loss of power or gas mileage, and no problems starting or
running. Temp gauge started going going up occasionally...no hills, or
idling. On one 6 hr trip, it did over heat,I replaced the rad, it sprung a
crack in the top. That didn't solve the heating problem, so replaced the
thermostat. Since then oil & loss has increased. It has continued to run
fine, except for a loss of gas mileage recently. Yesterday, I filled with
gas & upon starting, it hesitated and ran rough, briefly. As I drove away
a lg cloud of white, misty ‘steam’ quickly dissipated. I drove home, with
puffs of steam showing. Today oil is fine, but rad was low, and reservoir
empty. It took 2 tries to start, after ~1 min or less, it ran fine. Then
steam stared again. No residue.
I suspect it is the head gasket. Is there any way of knowing before
taking apart, if the block is cracked?
Also, the transmission has been noisy for a long time. It seems so me it
has been noisy since I got it! Was told it is the bearings which need
replacing immediately. The noise was brought to my attention at least 3
yrs ago!
I recently had the car repainted, due to some vandalism.
I am wondering, with 220km, is it worth pouring $ into it? Should I get
just the gasket &or trany looked after at the same time? Is there a quick
fix so I can get rid of it? Any suggestions?
93civic

Old July 5th 05, 01:39 AM
motsco_ _

93civic wrote:
> Bought 93 Civic DX new, have done all regular maintenance. Past 1~2yrs it
> stared using oil. No sign of drips or smoke, and passed Air Care testing
> for BC cars. No loss of power or gas mileage, and no problems starting or
> running. Temp gauge started going going up occasionally...no hills, or
> idling. On one 6 hr trip, it did over heat,I replaced the rad, it sprung a
> crack in the top. That didn't solve the heating problem, so replaced the
> thermostat. Since then oil & loss has increased. It has continued to run
> fine, except for a loss of gas mileage recently. Yesterday, I filled with
> gas & upon starting, it hesitated and ran rough, briefly. As I drove away
> a lg cloud of white, misty ‘steam’ quickly dissipated. I drove home, with
> puffs of steam showing. Today oil is fine, but rad was low, and reservoir
> empty. It took 2 tries to start, after ~1 min or less, it ran fine. Then
> steam stared again. No residue.
> I suspect it is the head gasket. Is there any way of knowing before
> taking apart, if the block is cracked?
> Also, the transmission has been noisy for a long time. It seems so me it
> has been noisy since I got it! Was told it is the bearings which need
> replacing immediately. The noise was brought to my attention at least 3
> yrs ago!
> I recently had the car repainted, due to some vandalism.
> I am wondering, with 220km, is it worth pouring $ into it? Should I get
> just the gasket &or trany looked after at the same time? Is there a quick
> fix so I can get rid of it? Any suggestions?
> 93civic

--------------------

The oil is probably sucking out thru a stuck Positive Crankcase
Ventilation valve. Have you proven that the cooling fan is cutting in
when it should? Low coolant will prevent it cutting in, since the
sensors have to be emmersed. Keep the reservoir filled to MAX, and use
Honda premix. Not tap water.
Not sure what kind of tranny you have . . .How manyy times have you
changed the lube in it?

'Curly'

Old July 5th 05, 08:56 AM
SoCalMike

93civic wrote:
> Bought 93 Civic DX new, have done all regular maintenance. Past 1~2yrs it
> stared using oil. No sign of drips or smoke, and passed Air Care testing
> for BC cars. No loss of power or gas mileage, and no problems starting or
> running. Temp gauge started going going up occasionally...no hills, or
> idling. On one 6 hr trip, it did over heat,I replaced the rad, it sprung a
> crack in the top. That didn't solve the heating problem, so replaced the
> thermostat. Since then oil & loss has increased. It has continued to run
> fine, except for a loss of gas mileage recently. Yesterday, I filled with
> gas & upon starting, it hesitated and ran rough, briefly. As I drove away
> a lg cloud of white, misty ‘steam’ quickly dissipated. I drove home, with
> puffs of steam showing. Today oil is fine, but rad was low, and reservoir
> empty. It took 2 tries to start, after ~1 min or less, it ran fine. Then
> steam stared again. No residue.
> I suspect it is the head gasket. Is there any way of knowing before
> taking apart, if the block is cracked?

i dunno bout the block, but the head has to come off anyway. its likely
just the gasket, unless you really rode it rough while it was
overheating like that.

> Also, the transmission has been noisy for a long time. It seems so me it
> has been noisy since I got it! Was told it is the bearings which need
> replacing immediately. The noise was brought to my attention at least 3
> yrs ago!
> I recently had the car repainted, due to some vandalism.
> I am wondering, with 220km, is it worth pouring $ into it? Should I get
> just the gasket &or trany looked after at the same time? Is there a quick
> fix so I can get rid of it? Any suggestions?

with a new head gasket and a tranny budgeted for the near future, youre
still WAY ahead of new car payments... IF you like the car. if not? you
can use it as a trade-in. your call. in its current shape, its likely
not worth over a thou, even to a shadetree mechanic.

Old July 5th 05, 09:43 PM
93civic

Any time I have checked, the fan still works.
At this stage, if it is a PCV valve, the heads still have to come off to
check that, right? If so, do you still suggest the premix after gasket is
replaced?
The trany is a 5 spd. Lube has been chaged amybe not as often as could be
but last time was about a yr ago.

Old July 5th 05, 09:47 PM
93civic

I wouldn't say I drove it rough, just took it easy to get where I was
going. Yes, I like the car and it is so comfortable! Thanks.