Its that time again ...

Old September 26th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bret[_3_]

Default Its that time again ...

.... to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my cars. Now, I know
this has probably been hashed to death, but I have 1 question. Both my
vehicles have the 4 speed auto in them. The first is a 92 Dodge Dynasty and
the second is a 99 Caravan. In the previous changes I have done, I have
always used ATF+3. Now all I find is ATF+4. My question is this: When I do a
pan-drop change for these 2 cars, is it OK to use ATF+4 to refill them?

Sorry if this is a repetitious question, but I just need to know for sure.

Old September 26th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
miles

Bret wrote:
> ... to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my cars. Now, I
> know this has probably been hashed to death, but I have 1 question. Both
> my vehicles have the 4 speed auto in them. The first is a 92 Dodge
> Dynasty and the second is a 99 Caravan. In the previous changes I have
> done, I have always used ATF+3. Now all I find is ATF+4. My question is
> this: When I do a pan-drop change for these 2 cars, is it OK to use
> ATF+4 to refill them?

ATF+4 is synthetic and recommended to replace ATF+3. Both vehicles can
use either ATF.

Per Chrysler's TSB on ATF usage I found this note:

NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF
VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3.

So yes, the two fluids can be mixed. It would be far better if you had
a flush done to change all the fluid to ATF+4 as well as a pan drop but
it's not required to do so. Pan drops normally only change 1/2 or less
of the total fluid depending on vehicle.
Old September 26th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bret[_3_]

"Miles" > wrote in message
> Bret wrote:
>> ... to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my cars. Now, I know
>> this has probably been hashed to death, but I have 1 question. Both my
>> vehicles have the 4 speed auto in them. The first is a 92 Dodge Dynasty
>> and the second is a 99 Caravan. In the previous changes I have done, I
>> have always used ATF+3. Now all I find is ATF+4. My question is this:
>> When I do a pan-drop change for these 2 cars, is it OK to use ATF+4 to
>> refill them?

> ATF+4 is synthetic and recommended to replace ATF+3. Both vehicles can
> use either ATF.
>
> Per Chrysler's TSB on ATF usage I found this note:
>
> NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF
> VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3.
>

> So yes, the two fluids can be mixed. It would be far better if you had a
> flush done to change all the fluid to ATF+4 as well as a pan drop but it's
> not required to do so. Pan drops normally only change 1/2 or less of the
> total fluid depending on vehicle.

Thank you for the information.

Old September 26th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

My dealer told me its fine to run it in my 96 trans which uses +3.

But they said once you go to using +4 don't put +3 in it anymore..

Old September 26th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Kunkel

"Bret" > wrote in message
> ... to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my cars. Now, I know
> this has probably been hashed to death, but I have 1 question. Both my
> vehicles have the 4 speed auto in them. The first is a 92 Dodge Dynasty
> and the second is a 99 Caravan. In the previous changes I have done, I
> have always used ATF+3. Now all I find is ATF+4. My question is this: When
> I do a pan-drop change for these 2 cars, is it OK to use ATF+4 to refill
> them?

The TSB:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/21-010-06.htm

Old September 26th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the TSB, but I do not see the Dodge Stealth on this list.

Does anyone know if I can use ATF+4 in a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT (Same as the
Stealth). The Stealth/3000GT uses a Chrysler designed automatic
transmission and I have previously used Molar ATF+3 when I drained (yes, it
actually has two drain plugs, one for the drive axle and the other in the
trans pan) and dropped the pan.

Bob

. ..

Old September 27th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
miles

Bob Shuman wrote:
> Thanks for the TSB, but I do not see the Dodge Stealth on this list.
>
> Does anyone know if I can use ATF+4 in a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT (Same as the
> Stealth). The Stealth/3000GT uses a Chrysler designed automatic
> transmission and I have previously used Molar ATF+3 when I drained (yes, it
> actually has two drain plugs, one for the drive axle and the other in the
> trans pan) and dropped the pan.

ATF+4 can be used on any car that is specified for ATF+3. The opposite
is not true.