cold start problem

Old September 24th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
pj

Default cold start problem

Hi

It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start. When
they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater system -
is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not giving
signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

Old September 24th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

pj wrote:
> Hi
>
> It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
> When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start. When
> they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater system -
> is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not giving
> signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
> start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
> manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

I don't have any personal experience with that vehicle, but in general,
it could be that one or more fuel injectors is leaking, so that when the
vehicle sits overnight, fuel leaks out of the fuel rail into the
cylinder of the leaking injector (or injectors). When you go to start
it in the morning, the fuel pump needs a few seconds of run time to
re-fill the fuel rail and pressurize it, plus there may be air trapped
that has to be pushed out. Then, later, when you re-start, the fuel
rail has not had time to drain down enough to matter, so it starts OK.

Some vehicles also have a check valve in the fuel pump that can also
drain the system back into the tank if the check valve leaks, creating a
similar problem.

When it does finally start in the morning, does it run rough, and or do
you smell raw gasoline from the exhaust?

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 24th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower[_2_]

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> pj wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
> > When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start.

When
> > they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater

system -
> > is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not

giving
> > signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
> > start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
> > manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

> I don't have any personal experience with that vehicle, but in general,
> it could be that one or more fuel injectors is leaking, so that when the
> vehicle sits overnight, fuel leaks out of the fuel rail into the
> cylinder of the leaking injector (or injectors). When you go to start
> it in the morning, the fuel pump needs a few seconds of run time to
> re-fill the fuel rail and pressurize it, plus there may be air trapped
> that has to be pushed out. Then, later, when you re-start, the fuel
> rail has not had time to drain down enough to matter, so it starts OK.
>
> Some vehicles also have a check valve in the fuel pump that can also
> drain the system back into the tank if the check valve leaks, creating a
> similar problem.
>
> When it does finally start in the morning, does it run rough, and or do
> you smell raw gasoline from the exhaust?
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

its a diesel Bill

Old September 24th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>> pj wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
>>> When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start.

> When
>>> they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater

> system -
>>> is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not

> giving
>>> signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
>>> start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
>>> manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

>> I don't have any personal experience with that vehicle, but in general,
>> it could be that one or more fuel injectors is leaking, so that when the
>> vehicle sits overnight, fuel leaks out of the fuel rail into the
>> cylinder of the leaking injector (or injectors). When you go to start
>> it in the morning, the fuel pump needs a few seconds of run time to
>> re-fill the fuel rail and pressurize it, plus there may be air trapped
>> that has to be pushed out. Then, later, when you re-start, the fuel
>> rail has not had time to drain down enough to matter, so it starts OK.
>>
>> Some vehicles also have a check valve in the fuel pump that can also
>> drain the system back into the tank if the check valve leaks, creating a
>> similar problem.
>>
>> When it does finally start in the morning, does it run rough, and or do
>> you smell raw gasoline from the exhaust?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> its a diesel Bill

Just seeing if you were paying attention.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 24th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bill Putney wrote:

> I don't have any personal experience with that vehicle, but in general,
> it could be that one or more fuel injectors is leaking, so that when the
> vehicle sits overnight, fuel leaks out of the fuel rail into the
> cylinder of the leaking injector (or injectors).

Not likely, Bill. A '92 Ram 5.9 turbo isn't a gasoline engine :-)
Normally we call it a Cummins B5.9 here in the US. I was thinking an
aftermarket turbo'd 360 too, until I saw him referring to grid air
heaters... ;-)

> When it does finally start in the morning, does it run rough, and or do
> you smell raw gasoline from the exhaust?

Not likely Raw diesel, maybe, but hopefully not gasoline! ;-)
Old September 24th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

pj wrote:
> Hi
>
> It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
> When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start. When
> they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater system -
> is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not giving
> signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
> start air heating system? What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
> manifold? Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

Like Bill, I'm not really familiar with that engine, but I know the
general principles. Below a certain temperature, the grid air heater
should turn on. If they don't, it could be:

-The sensor that tells the system what temperature it is
-The ECM
-A bad connection
-A bad heater relay.

or maybe a few other things. I'd check out the temp sensor and the
relays first, then start looking for bad connections.

Old September 25th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"pj" > wrote:

> Hi
>
> It is RAM 92 5.9turbo.
> When is cold like now close to frost, I need crank ~30second to start. When
> they start, next start needs just one crank. I did check air heater system -
> is not working (heating elements are OK).It is like computer is not giving
> signal to relays. Do we have some temp sensor sending message to comp to
> start air heating system?

Air charge temperature sensor.

> What fore is this KSB sensor on the intake
> manifold?

The KSB solenoid advances injection timing on a cold engine to reduce
white smoke. The KSB solenoid is controlled by the SBEC (computer)
based on input from the air charge temperature sensor.

> Do we have any cut-off fuel valve (sorry for my poor English)

There is a manual fuel shut off lever.
Old September 26th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
pj

HI
what kind of electric fuel pump (in line) can I use with this engine?

George

Old September 26th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

If you're talking about a low-pressure "lift pump" then just about
anything that is rated for diesel and has adequate flow. Facet-Purolator
pumps are popular as lift pumps.

Old September 27th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
pj

They display cods :12, 55
Any ideas?
Best George