Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

Old September 14th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

Hello!
There are some pats made in China that I wold like to try, but I am
hesitant to use them.

Are they OK to use?

They look a little rough around the edges.
If I used brake master cylinder made in China, I think I would replace
it after 3 years.

Of course I had rather spend the extra bucks and get one made in the
United States, Germany, Brazil, or somewhere else.

But the Chinese Master cylinder looks better made than the master
cyklinder made in Mexico.
TIA/ Thanks In Advance!

Old September 14th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> Hello!
> There are some pats made in China that I wold like to try, but I am
> hesitant to use them.
>
> Are they OK to use?
>
> They look a little rough around the edges.
> If I used brake master cylinder made in China, I think I would replace
> it after 3 years.
>
> Of course I had rather spend the extra bucks and get one made in the
> United States, Germany, Brazil, or somewhere else.
>
> But the Chinese Master cylinder looks better made than the master
> cyklinder made in Mexico.
> TIA/ Thanks In Advance!

country of manufacture has less to do with quality of the parts than the
company contracts the foreign manufacturer.... "China" will manufacture
anything you want and to whatever you specify. if you want cheap, they can
do it, if you want quality, they can do it... But since quality costs money,
lots of companies contracting then importing parts don't spend the coin for
good quality nor good quality control....

Old September 15th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Hello!
> There are some pats made in China that I wold like to try, but I am
> hesitant to use them.
>
> Are they OK to use?

Quite honestly it depends. I've had mixed experiences, but one thing
to stay away from universally if it has china stamped on it is
bearings. They don't ever seem to fit. Some of the other parts are
fine; it might be good to post a question about a brand/part number
you are considering buying here and see if anyone else has taken the
leap prior and how it turned out.

Chris
Old September 15th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Geez now you tell me! lol
I just used some China made bearings for my idler pulley in my Jeep. Right
now it works very well and is very quiet. Time will tell and I did buy some
spares just in case. :-)
Oh and they were very inexpensive too!

I also think you should tell us which parts you are thinking about.
Brakes aren't something you want to take a chance on!!!!!!

Old September 15th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

| > wrote in message
| > Hello!
| > There are some pats made in China that I world like to try, but I am
| > hesitant to use them.
| >
| > Are they OK to use?
| >
| > They look a little rough around the edges.
| > If I used brake master cylinder made in China, I think I would replace
| > it after 3 years.
| >
| > Of course I had rather spend the extra bucks and get one made in the
| > United States, Germany, Brazil, or somewhere else.
| >
| > But the Chinese Master cylinder looks better made than the master
| > cyklinder made in Mexico.
| > TIA/ Thanks In Advance!
| >

| country of manufacture has less to do with quality of the parts than the
| company contracts the foreign manufacturer.... "China" will manufacture
| anything you want and to whatever you specify. if you want cheap, they can
| do it, if you want quality, they can do it... But since quality costs
money,
| lots of companies contracting then importing parts don't spend the coin
for
| good quality nor good quality control....

Problem with China is they will make cheap parts and put good company names
on the product.

A few years back the company I worked for sent some drawings off for
prototype. Samples came back in a week with our logo etc and were fine met
all specs etc..

With in 10 days (before we even placed the order) we found copies, including
our logo and die stamps in the market. These were crap but our names were
all over and we were getting angry phone calls.

Old September 15th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"NotMe" > wrote in message
> Problem with China is they will make cheap parts and put good company

names
> on the product.
>
> A few years back the company I worked for sent some drawings off for
> prototype. Samples came back in a week with our logo etc and were fine
> met
> all specs etc..
>
> With in 10 days (before we even placed the order) we found copies,
> including
> our logo and die stamps in the market. These were crap but our names were
> all over and we were getting angry phone calls.

yeah, heard that too... guess it pays to buy it direct from the folks that
have it made... counterfeit parts are a huge money maker and I read an
interesting article about how the aftermarket for other vehicles(Chevrolet
and ford) are being over-run with subpar counterfeit parts now... their
aftermarket had been fairly void of it until a couple years ago... vw's
aftermarket has been plagued with crap for many years.... this is what
buying on price creates...IMHO.

Old September 15th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Stupendous Man

> Brakes aren't something you want to take a chance on!!!!!!

I tried to get a thermostat for my Mercedes 300TD wagon locally. We have
Kragen and Napa in this county. Both had it in stock, Chinese. I bought
German from auto parts world for half the price, and free shipping 'cause i
needed some other stuff to make the minimum. I'm not trusting something
critical to crap parts.

Old September 15th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Stupendous Man wrote:
>> Brakes aren't something you want to take a chance on!!!!!!
>>

> I tried to get a thermostat for my Mercedes 300TD wagon locally. We have
> Kragen and Napa in this county. Both had it in stock, Chinese. I bought
> German from auto parts world for half the price, and free shipping
> 'cause i needed some other stuff to make the minimum. I'm not trusting
> something critical to crap parts.

I recently went through 2 new Stant thermostats for my Nova, until I
finally decided to fork out the dough for the more expensive model.
Still Stant, but twice the price. That one finally worked. It's
unbelievable that something as critical as a thermostat would not work
out of the box!
Old September 15th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
| Stupendous Man wrote:
| >> Brakes aren't something you want to take a chance on!!!!!!
| >>

| > I tried to get a thermostat for my Mercedes 300TD wagon locally. We have
| > Kragen and Napa in this county. Both had it in stock, Chinese. I bought
| > German from auto parts world for half the price, and free shipping
| > 'cause i needed some other stuff to make the minimum. I'm not trusting
| > something critical to crap parts.
|
| I recently went through 2 new Stant thermostats for my Nova, until I
| finally decided to fork out the dough for the more expensive model.
| Still Stant, but twice the price. That one finally worked. It's
| unbelievable that something as critical as a thermostat would not work
| out of the box!

A few years back Tennessee or Kentucky ended up with a dead Congress critter
when someone used a counterfeit (Chinese) part on a propeller. Took the
NTSB a while to ID that it was a knock off.

Old September 15th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani