headgasket ???

Old November 28th 04, 03:47 PM
Phill

Default headgasket ???

Think i know the answer but just want to check , few days ago , my auto
choke ****ed up and i got the weber conversion kit fitted , on the way
back from the garage , I noticed a bit of white smoke and just thought
it was the carb working out the cleaning crap , drove to work , only a
couple of miles and then home on the night, again only a couple of miles
Went to work in it the next day and was checking it over at the dinner
time and noticed it was running a little hot , I filled up the radiator
and let it settle until the night time , I was on my wa out of town , 10
miles to be exact and noticed the temp was going up , it got to the red
so stuck it in neutral and it slowly cooled down a little , got going
again only to see it go high. pulled over and let the engine cool it
self down , and no added no water to radiator when i noticed it was
enmpty

When breakdown got here , both noticed that the dip stick covered in
white stuff , suggesting head gasket gone !! - Is this always the case
???

Thanks
Phill
Old November 28th 04, 05:07 PM
Jim Levie

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:47:24 +0000, Phill wrote:

> Think i know the answer but just want to check , few days ago , my auto
> choke ****ed up and i got the weber conversion kit fitted , on the way
> back from the garage , I noticed a bit of white smoke and just thought it
> was the carb working out the cleaning crap , drove to work , only a couple
> of miles and then home on the night, again only a couple of miles Went to
> work in it the next day and was checking it over at the dinner time and
> noticed it was running a little hot , I filled up the radiator and let it
> settle until the night time , I was on my wa out of town , 10 miles to be
> exact and noticed the temp was going up , it got to the red so stuck it in
> neutral and it slowly cooled down a little , got going again only to see
> it go high. pulled over and let the engine cool it self down , and no
> added no water to radiator when i noticed it was enmpty
>
> When breakdown got here , both noticed that the dip stick covered in white
> stuff , suggesting head gasket gone !! - Is this always the case ???

That set of symptoms does indicate a head gasket failure.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.