newbie trying to help a neighbor

Old April 19th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JamieB

Default newbie trying to help a neighbor

Howdy Mustang fans,
My name is jamie and I live in Texas. I would like to thank you for
letting me post here. I am a Volvo user group member, but my neighbor
has a 1998 Mustang he's trying to find a part for.

I have VERY limited info, so I hope ya'll can help. He has the basic
model, smallest motor he says. He's looking for an electrical part for
the air conditioner. We crossed briefly in the yard and he just barely
told me what he needed.

Apparantly this is an electronic switch that acts as a controller.
It's under the hood and must actuate the system in some way.

Sorry to be so brief, but I didn't catch much. he says the system
still has pressure - but it must be when he tries to turn on the a/c -
it's not powering up.

Is there maybe a relay there or some component that rings a bell?

If this is too vague, can you recommend a good parts supplier that
sells parts cheaply?

Thanks - and I hope to have more info soon.

jamie

Old April 19th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John[_12_]

"JamieB" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Howdy Mustang fans,
> My name is jamie and I live in Texas. I would like to thank you for
> letting me post here. I am a Volvo user group member, but my neighbor
> has a 1998 Mustang he's trying to find a part for.
>
> I have VERY limited info, so I hope ya'll can help. He has the basic
> model, smallest motor he says. He's looking for an electrical part for
> the air conditioner. We crossed briefly in the yard and he just barely
> told me what he needed.
>
> Apparantly this is an electronic switch that acts as a controller.
> It's under the hood and must actuate the system in some way.
>
> Sorry to be so brief, but I didn't catch much. he says the system
> still has pressure - but it must be when he tries to turn on the a/c -
> it's not powering up.
>
> Is there maybe a relay there or some component that rings a bell?
>
> If this is too vague, can you recommend a good parts supplier that
> sells parts cheaply?
>
> Thanks - and I hope to have more info soon.
>
> jamie

there is an AC clutch on the front of the compressor that has two wires
going to it.

Old April 19th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

JamieB wrote:
> Howdy Mustang fans,
> My name is jamie and I live in Texas. I would like to thank you for
> letting me post here. I am a Volvo user group member, but my neighbor
> has a 1998 Mustang he's trying to find a part for.
>
> I have VERY limited info, so I hope ya'll can help. He has the basic
> model, smallest motor he says. He's looking for an electrical part for
> the air conditioner. We crossed briefly in the yard and he just barely
> told me what he needed.
>
> Apparantly this is an electronic switch that acts as a controller.
> It's under the hood and must actuate the system in some way.
>
> Sorry to be so brief, but I didn't catch much. he says the system
> still has pressure - but it must be when he tries to turn on the a/c -
> it's not powering up.
>
> Is there maybe a relay there or some component that rings a bell?
>
> If this is too vague, can you recommend a good parts supplier that
> sells parts cheaply?
>
> Thanks - and I hope to have more info soon.
>
> jamie

Sounds like maybe the pressure switch, which may or may not be the
actual problem. You can pull the wires off of it with the SC in the on
and coldest position and open and short the two wires. If the compressor
kicks on and off the switch may be bad. But there are other reasons that
it will not run, too high or too low of a pressure in the system for
instance.
Old April 19th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JamieB

Thanks!
I'm trying to picture the system. Usually you have the A/C switch
which when you turn it on, engages the compressor. He says the
compressor is good - and what I'm guessing is that there is something
between the cabin a/c switch and the compressor that might be what he
has in mind.

I'll try and get more details tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Old April 22nd 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

It's worth the small investment to get a freon refill kit with a gauge just
to check the pressure.
I'd bet that his pressure is just low.

oups.com...