Dimmer switch behavior

Old April 16th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

Default Dimmer switch behavior

On my '83 GT, when I have the lights on high, I have just the 2 high beam
headlights on. This is unlike any car I have ever owned, which all had all
4 headlights on when on high beams.

When I pull the stick back to lower the headlights, the low beams come on
momentarily, which makes the headlights flash brighter. I've had oncoming
cars flash their lights at me after I lowered my headlights to low beam,
like they thoght I was flashing my highs at them.

Is this normal behavior for this model? My 1980 Capri does not do this.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old April 17th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Garth Almgren

Around 4/16/2007 12:17 AM, elaich wrote:

> On my '83 GT, when I have the lights on high, I have just the 2 high beam
> headlights on. This is unlike any car I have ever owned, which all had all
> 4 headlights on when on high beams.

Nope, that's definitely not normal. The outer lamps are dual filament
(high/low), and the inner lamps are single filament (high only). When
you turn on the high beams, you're right: all four lamps should be on.

When you hold the stalk back, it temporarily turns on both the high
beams and the low beams.

> When I pull the stick back to lower the headlights, the low beams come on
> momentarily, which makes the headlights flash brighter. I've had oncoming
> cars flash their lights at me after I lowered my headlights to low beam,
> like they thoght I was flashing my highs at them.
>
> Is this normal behavior for this model? My 1980 Capri does not do this.

If the outer high beams are not turning on in the normal high beam mode,
but they do turn on when you pull back on the stalk, I'm guessing that
something is wrong in the multi-function switch on the steering column.
They tend to go bad after about 20+ years.

I can't seem to find my shop manual at the moment, or I'd trace back the
wiring diagram and confirm the diagnosis.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |

Test dimmer relay AshMan VW air cooled 5 April 28th 07 03:39 AM
Dimmer switch problem? TrailMarker Jeep 17 November 14th 06 11:46 PM
Problems with TJ headlamp/dimmer switch? Nick Hughes Jeep 17 November 26th 05 06:27 PM
77 vette in colum dimmer PDS Corvette 0 August 12th 05 04:27 AM
Dimmer Question TeGGeR® Honda 4 July 27th 05 03:51 PM