new battery

Old September 24th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_3_]

Default new battery

I've ordered a new 6V battery.
140 Ah instead of the usual 66Ah.
AFAIK this is possible/able to fit were the normal battery should fit.
Width is most important, lenght and hight are somewhat variable...
Am i right? Or do is overlook something? How about the electrical aspects..?
Will the generator charge normally or do i have to ad or change something?

Any help is very appreciated..
Roger

Old September 24th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

height is very important since you don't want the seat springs to hit the
top of the battery.
It might have a "SHORT" life!

.. .

Old September 24th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_3_]

Good point!
I didn't think of that one..

No electrical issues?

Thanks
Roger

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > schreef in bericht
news

Old September 25th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Make sure the voltage regulator is in perfect condition.
The original mechanical voltage regulator used with generators, serves dual
purpose: it regulates charging voltage bellow 14V, but also prottects the
generator from overcurrrent.

When you charge a battery from a partially or deep discharged state, the
battery draws a larger charge current than when in almost fully charged
state. A bigger capacity battery will draw even more charging current than a
smaller capacity battery. This might overload your generator, unless the
regulator is in good condition and cuts-out when the charging current
exceeds a certain threshold.

Many car manufacturers state that you should not charge in the car a deeply
discharged battery or you could damage the generator/alternator.

A bit more capacity won't hurt, but more than double the original capacity
will be a problem if you let the battery discharge.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 bug.

Ο "bug '59" <bug '59 and > έγραψε στο μήνυμα
.. .

Old September 25th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

And Volvo,s make a big deal about having electrically warmed seats!. Old
hat.
John

Old September 25th 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

John wrote:
> And Volvo,s make a big deal about having electrically warmed seats!. Old
> hat.
> John

My 68 convertible has electrically heated seats now...
Old September 25th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_3_]

Bet it's not in the rear. LOL

Bought it this afternoon. Way too big.
The top of the battery sits onto the seat rest, the groundstrap is a little
short and the battery securestrap is a lot to short.
Otoh, when i finally hooked up the battery, the car started with the first
turn. Without the clamps tightened!
I think i will modify the seatrest and securestrap and put some kind of lid
ontop of the battery.

Thanks for all the input guy's

Roger

"Jan Andersson" > schreef in bericht

Old September 26th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_3_]

> Many car manufacturers state that you should not charge in the car a
> deeply discharged battery or you could damage the generator/alternator.
>
> A bit more capacity won't hurt, but more than double the original capacity
> will be a problem if you let the battery discharge.
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '67 bug.

Went back to the store and changed the battery for a 77 Ah.
Somehow your advise kept me from keeping the 140 Ah.
Probably for the best.

Thanks Bill!
Roger