Rip-off?

Old October 12th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Default Rip-off?

It won't be as diluted with fuel.

nate
Old October 12th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-10-12, N8N > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 12:12*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 07:24:05 -0700 (PDT), harry k
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >In my case, 'severe service' is called for. *I live righton a busy 2
>> >lane highway and have an uphill go for a mile as I leave the
>> >driveway. *All too often I have to get from 0 to 65 on a cold engine
>> >in a quarter mile to fit into the stream. *I do usually give a a
>> >minute or so warmup first but even that doesn't help much.

>> >Harry K

>> How will changing the oil more frequently help that situation? *The
>> new oil will still be just as cold.

> It won't be as diluted with fuel.

but so long as the engine did get warmed up at some point in the trip,
the starting point each morning will be about the same.

Old October 12th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Old October 12th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 12, 6:42*am, N8N > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:15*am, Brent > wrote:

> > > It won't be as diluted with fuel.

> > but so long as the engine did get warmed up at some point in the trip,
> > the starting point each morning will be about the same.

> I would suspect that high throttle opening operation while cold will
> dilute fuel more than driving gently, and also may put more
> particulates into the oil from incomplete combustion. *Also it does
> take a while at full-temp operation to vaporize all the fuel out of
> the oil, if in fact it ever does completely vaporize. *In any case, I
> would think that that would definitely qualify as "severe service"
> operation.
>
> nate- Hide quoted text -

My error. I realized after posting thiat I should have added: My
usual drive is only 4 miles to town, shop, 4 miles back so it does not
get properly warmed up.

That is about the epitome of 'severe service'.

Harry K
Old October 12th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 12, 3:08*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Ashton Crusher wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:47:20 -0400, Nate Nagel >
> > wrote:

> >> 15K shouldn't be necessary, but I agree with the statement that pretty
> >> much everyone should be using the "severe service" maintenance schedule.
> >> * 50K seems to be a common "severe service" interval for trans fluid
> >> change.

> >> nate

> > Do you really think a car used as a taxi needs it's oil changed every
> > 3000 miles??? *Maybe in 1958 but not in 2009.

> Read the owner's manual for your new car, they don't recommend 3000 mile
> oil changes even for "severe service." *And taxi service is likely
> easier on a car than the way most people drive. *Read the qualifications
> for "severe service," you probably qualify.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

My owner's manual for the 500 says 3,000 for severe service. As for
taxi's that shuld qualify for 'babying service' and change every
40,000 miles

Harry K
Old October 12th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:24:43 -0700 (PDT), harry k
> wrote:

>On Oct 12, 6:42*am, N8N > wrote:

>> > but so long as the engine did get warmed up at some point in the trip,
>> > the starting point each morning will be about the same.

>> I would suspect that high throttle opening operation while cold will
>> dilute fuel more than driving gently, and also may put more
>> particulates into the oil from incomplete combustion. *Also it does
>> take a while at full-temp operation to vaporize all the fuel out of
>> the oil, if in fact it ever does completely vaporize. *In any case, I
>> would think that that would definitely qualify as "severe service"
>> operation.
>>
>> nate- Hide quoted text -

>My error. I realized after posting thiat I should have added: My
>usual drive is only 4 miles to town, shop, 4 miles back so it does not
>get properly warmed up.
>
>That is about the epitome of 'severe service'.
>
>Harry K

OK, with that added tidbit I agree with you that you are not doing
your car any favors and changing the oil fairly often is a good idea.
All the car makers say all you need to do it just let the car run for
maybe 30 seconds and you are good to go, no need to "warm" it up like
in the old days. With all the computer controls there is not going to
be much fuel dilution but with your driving cycle I would expect there
would be quite a bit of condensation. Have you considered buying an
electric motorcycle??
Old October 12th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 06:08:16 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:47:20 -0400, Nate Nagel >
>> wrote:

>>> 15K shouldn't be necessary, but I agree with the statement that pretty
>>> much everyone should be using the "severe service" maintenance schedule.
>>> 50K seems to be a common "severe service" interval for trans fluid
>>> change.
>>>
>>> nate

>> Do you really think a car used as a taxi needs it's oil changed every
>> 3000 miles??? Maybe in 1958 but not in 2009.

>Read the owner's manual for your new car, they don't recommend 3000 mile
>oil changes even for "severe service." And taxi service is likely
>easier on a car than the way most people drive. Read the qualifications
>for "severe service," you probably qualify.
>
>nate

They do in my owners manual. 3000 mile oil changes for the severe
service schedule and I'm pretty sure they listed taxi service. That's
what seemed strange to me in this day and age. Taxi service is
actually pretty easy on an modern computer controlled engine.
Old October 13th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 12, 2:15*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:24:43 -0700 (PDT), harry k
>

> > wrote:

> >> I would suspect that high throttle opening operation while cold will
> >> dilute fuel more than driving gently, and also may put more
> >> particulates into the oil from incomplete combustion. *Also it does
> >> take a while at full-temp operation to vaporize all the fuel out of
> >> the oil, if in fact it ever does completely vaporize. *In any case, I
> >> would think that that would definitely qualify as "severe service"
> >> operation.

> >> nate- Hide quoted text -

> >My error. *I realized after posting thiat I should have added: *My
> >usual drive is only 4 miles to town, shop, 4 miles back so it does not
> >get properly warmed up.

> >That is about the epitome of 'severe service'.

> >Harry K

> OK, with that added tidbit I agree with you that you are not doing
> your car any favors and changing the oil fairly often is a good idea.
> All the car makers say all you need to do it just let the car run for
> maybe 30 seconds and you are good to go, no need to "warm" it up like
> in the old days. *With all the computer controls there is not going to
> be much fuel dilution but with your driving cycle I would expect there
> would be quite a bit of condensation. *Have you considered buying an
> electric motorcycle??- Hide quoted text -

Yes they do say 30 second is good but with teh added cavaet not to
'hammer' it until it is warmed up...well, words to that effect.

I'm a long way past my motorcycle days and I like a '12-month"
vehicle .

Harry K