Help ID a car

Old October 13th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH[_2_]

Default Help ID a car

Caught some thieves on video. Anybody want to take a stab at IDing the
vehicle so we have a better idea of what to watch for?

http://kd5nrh.smugmug.com/Other/Vide...N3/1/678911047
_sgrAN

If the wrapping kills that url, try http://bit.ly/2o6VRJ

Old October 13th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH[_2_]

"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" > wrote in
4:

> http://bit.ly

Guess I should specify that I mean the small car on the street. The 99
Blazer is mine.

Old October 13th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

On 13 Oct 2009 00:14:51 GMT
"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" > wrote:

> "Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" > wrote in
> 4:
>
> > http://bit.ly

> Guess I should specify that I mean the small car on the street. The
> 99 Blazer is mine.

Oh! I was going to say it's a Blazer or Trailblazer, definitely GM
something or other. I guess that's not what you were looking for.

OK, the first picture is absolutely worthless, might as well delete
it.

The second picture kind of looks like a Ford Explorer Sporttrac viewed
from an angle roughly 120 degrees from the way the vehicle is pointed.
(looking at the right rear tail-light). But then the tail section is
too stubby for that. So ya got me.

Picture 3 is pretty good. The profile is that of a Suzuki Aerio SX or
a Suzuki SX4 or a Toyota Corolla Matrix or something similar (Scion
something?) It's definitely a hatchback. Note above the tail
light the body goes up (hard to see with the glare, I know) to the edge
of the roofline which is gently sloped upward as it goes toward the
front of the car. Also, the brake light being on is a dead giveaway
that it's not a sedan or coupe style vehicle. There is no room for a
trunk, not even a small one. There is a door back there, probably
opens upward. Now that I think of it, it most reminds me of a Honda
Civic hatchback. I think this is the driver's side profile of the same
vehicle he
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...990102-480.jpg
But then your unknown vehicle appears that it might be a 5-door. So
did Honda make a 5-door civic hatchback? If not, then you need to find
a vehicle that has the identical profile of a civic hatchback, with
nearly identical tail lights and front parking lights, that was made
with 5 doors.

To be clear, I'm 90% certain that it is a Civic hatchback, probably
from the mid-90s. But then it also appears that it might have 5 doors,
and that is what has me ONLY 90% certain.

I don't know what to make of picture 4. Is that the front or back of a
vehicle? If we could figure out which end of the vehicle we're looking
at, that might be helpful. I mean, if you just find which 5-door
hatchback has lights at one end matching that specific unusual shape,
you've got your vehicle!

Picture 5 is also useless. Picture 6 appears to be a duplicate, again
looking kind of like a Ford Explorer Sporttrac with the back end
chopped a good foot or so.

On a side note, are you sure all these pictures are the same vehicle?
I'm not. -Dave

Old October 13th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On 13 Oct 2009 00:10:42 GMT, Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH wrote:

> Caught some thieves on video. Anybody want to take a stab at IDing the
> vehicle so we have a better idea of what to watch for?
>
> http://kd5nrh.smugmug.com/Other/Vide...N3/1/678911047
> _sgrAN
>
> If the wrapping kills that url, try http://bit.ly/2o6VRJ

Somebody once tagged me as "Stoopid".
It is nice to know there are lesser intelligent people out there.
Could you identify that snowflake if you saw it again?
Old October 13th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On 13 Oct 2009 00:10:42 GMT, Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH wrote:

> Caught some thieves on video. Anybody want to take a stab at IDing the
> vehicle so we have a better idea of what to watch for?
>
> http://kd5nrh.smugmug.com/Other/Vide...N3/1/678911047
> _sgrAN
>
> If the wrapping kills that url, try http://bit.ly/2o6VRJ

You should send the video in to NCIS. They'll ID the car, the license plate
and the driver in minutes.
Old October 13th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH[_2_]

"Dave C." > wrote in
:

> On a side note, are you sure all these pictures are the same vehicle?
> I'm not. -Dave

Yes. There are no breaks in either video, and I pulled it from the DVR
myself. The rear-angle camera matches with the side angle exactly on the
approach and departure times, so they didn't get mixed up.

As for alterations, the third is cleaned up by frame-stacking several
seconds of video. The fifth is the same process, from the other angle.
Four is the same angle as the first, just after the brake lights went off.

I'm leaning towards the Honda assessment, but we're all pretty sure these
are the same kids that have caused some trouble in the neighborhood before.
Nobody has gotten enough to ID them yet, but I suspect they're cruising
through casing the area fairly often, since they always seem to be ready to
jump out, do their damage, and get gone quickly. Having a better idea of
what to watch for may be enough to narow it down and be ready for them next
time.

Old October 14th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

> I'm leaning towards the Honda assessment, but we're all pretty sure
> these are the same kids that have caused some trouble in the
> neighborhood before. Nobody has gotten enough to ID them yet, but I
> suspect they're cruising through casing the area fairly often, since
> they always seem to be ready to jump out, do their damage, and get
> gone quickly. Having a better idea of what to watch for may be
> enough to narow it down and be ready for them next time.

Actually, I realized there is another car that closely matches the
pictures. I just have to remember what it's called. Ford something.
Hold on...
http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyer...ocus_ext_1.jpg
Yeah, the Focus hatchback has the same outline, same roof, similar
headlights and tail lights...

I'm still confused though. In one of the pictures, it appears that the
car might be a five-door. I'm still stuck on that. Does anybody else
see 5-door config, or is it just me?

I mean, other than the 5-door thingie, it looks just like a mid-90's
(ish) Civic hatchback or a relatively new Focus hatchback.

Not to confuse the issue too much, but I think Hyundai makes something
similar? I still like the Civic though, as far as a close match for
that picture goes. -Dave