Parking Brake

Old February 10th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
c_cook2007

Default Parking Brake

I have a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. When I drive it and shift into second gear
for the first time while the car is on, my parking brake light on the dash
comes on. I check the parking brake and it is not engaged. What is wrong
with it and what can I do to fix it? The light also stays on basically no
matter what until I shut the car off.

Old February 10th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:04:11 -0500, "c_cook2007"
> wrote:

>I have a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. When I drive it and shift into second gear
>for the first time while the car is on, my parking brake light on the dash
>comes on. I check the parking brake and it is not engaged. What is wrong
>with it and what can I do to fix it? The light also stays on basically no
>matter what until I shut the car off.

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. It might be low and
your shift makes it slosh around and activate the light. I think the
same light is often used for both low fluid warning as well as parking
brake. But I could be wrong.
Old February 10th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:03:31 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:04:11 -0500, "c_cook2007"
> wrote:
>
>>I have a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. When I drive it and shift into second gear
>>for the first time while the car is on, my parking brake light on the dash
>>comes on. I check the parking brake and it is not engaged. What is wrong
>>with it and what can I do to fix it? The light also stays on basically no
>>matter what until I shut the car off.

>Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. It might be low and
>your shift makes it slosh around and activate the light. I think the
>same light is often used for both low fluid warning as well as parking
>brake. But I could be wrong.

You are correct.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old February 10th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scrapper[_41_]

after checking fluid the next thng i'd do is check the switch on brake
pedal..good luck..

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 10th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

It sounds like you are talking about the 'brake failure' warning light.
This means the brakes have failed and the vehicle is not safe to drive
until you find out 'why' the brakes have failed.

If you get stopped by the police for any reason and they see this light
on, you will be on the back end of a tow truck likely with an expensive
ticket to boot. (been there, he would not believe for one second it was
a failure in th park brake cable causing the light to go on.)

The fluid check is the first step to see if one side hasn't got a leak
and emptied out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Parking Brake on 99 TJ silberj Jeep 6 July 17th 06 04:50 PM
Parking Brake Brian Mazda 15 January 22nd 06 08:12 AM
Parking Brake JG Corvette 1 May 20th 05 07:40 PM
Parking brake on C5 C5John Corvette 6 January 13th 05 05:58 PM