From the AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Files.

Old November 19th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default From the AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Files.

<Rant>

Flash back to earlier in the week when I had to have the water pump and
serpentine belt replaced in my car. Not a big deal - both were the
originals on a 10YO car.

Flash forward to about 2 hours ago (from the time of this post). I'm
pulling over to the side of the road, no power (save for the battery)
and no power steering. Pop the hood and through the smoke I see the
idler pulley that attaches to the alternator (which would have had to be
removed to get to the water pump) resting on one of the A/C lines. Can
you say shoddy workmanship on the part of the mechanic??? I knew you
could.

</Rant>

My telling this story doesn't change anything, but if nothing else, It
let me blow off some steam (pardon the pun)...

necromancer

Official Overseer Of Kooks And Trolls In rec.autos.driving
Old November 19th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

necromancer wrote:
> <Rant>
>
> Flash back to earlier in the week when I had to have the water pump and
> serpentine belt replaced in my car. Not a big deal - both were the
> originals on a 10YO car.
>
> Flash forward to about 2 hours ago (from the time of this post). I'm
> pulling over to the side of the road, no power (save for the battery)
> and no power steering. Pop the hood and through the smoke I see the
> idler pulley that attaches to the alternator (which would have had to be
> removed to get to the water pump) resting on one of the A/C lines. Can
> you say shoddy workmanship on the part of the mechanic??? I knew you
> could.
>
> </Rant>
>
> My telling this story doesn't change anything, but if nothing else, It
> let me blow off some steam (pardon the pun)...

> necromancer
>
> Official Overseer Of Kooks And Trolls In rec.autos.driving

Do you suspect the mechanic was ensuring that your car was ready for
Aunt Judy?

Old November 19th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), MLOM said in
rec.autos.driving:

> necromancer wrote:
> > <Rant>
> >
> > Flash back to earlier in the week when I had to have the water pump and
> > serpentine belt replaced in my car. Not a big deal - both were the
> > originals on a 10YO car.
> >
> > Flash forward to about 2 hours ago (from the time of this post). I'm
> > pulling over to the side of the road, no power (save for the battery)
> > and no power steering. Pop the hood and through the smoke I see the
> > idler pulley that attaches to the alternator (which would have had to be
> > removed to get to the water pump) resting on one of the A/C lines. Can
> > you say shoddy workmanship on the part of the mechanic??? I knew you
> > could.
> >
> > </Rant>
> >
> > My telling this story doesn't change anything, but if nothing else, It
> > let me blow off some steam (pardon the pun)...
> >
> > --
> > --
> > necromancer
> >
> > Official Overseer Of Kooks And Trolls In rec.autos.driving

> Do you suspect the mechanic was ensuring that your car was ready for
> Aunt Judy?

I'm wondering if it *was* Aunt Judy working on it.....

--
"If a pastor buys meth, does that make
him a Methodist?"
Old November 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
GK

necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), MLOM said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>
>>necromancer wrote:
>>
>>><Rant>
>>>
>>>Flash back to earlier in the week when I had to have the water pump and
>>>serpentine belt replaced in my car. Not a big deal - both were the
>>>originals on a 10YO car.
>>>
>>>Flash forward to about 2 hours ago (from the time of this post). I'm
>>>pulling over to the side of the road, no power (save for the battery)
>>>and no power steering. Pop the hood and through the smoke I see the
>>>idler pulley that attaches to the alternator (which would have had to be
>>>removed to get to the water pump) resting on one of the A/C lines. Can
>>>you say shoddy workmanship on the part of the mechanic??? I knew you
>>>could.
>>>
>>></Rant>
>>>
>>>My telling this story doesn't change anything, but if nothing else, It
>>>let me blow off some steam (pardon the pun)...
>>>
>>>--
>>>--
>>>necromancer
>>>
>>>Official Overseer Of Kooks And Trolls In rec.autos.driving

>>Do you suspect the mechanic was ensuring that your car was ready for
>>Aunt Judy?

> I'm wondering if it *was* Aunt Judy working on it.....

Many times an idler pulley may fall apart on its own after going through
the removal/replacement process associated with repairs.

BTW, all please boycott Google since they are censoring information for
over a year now in the USA. I avoid it whenever possible and use
alternate search engines.

GK
Old November 19th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), GK said in
rec.autos.driving:
> Many times an idler pulley may fall apart on its own after going through
> the removal/replacement process associated with repairs.

To the best of my knowledge, the pulley is still in one piece - though
when I talk to the mechanic, I may just tell him to go ahead and replace
it. I'm damn lucky that the pulley came to rest against that A/C line
and didn't fall deeper into the engine compartment.....

Old November 20th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article et>, necromancer wrote:
> pulling over to the side of the road, no power (save for the battery)
> and no power steering. Pop the hood and through the smoke I see the
> idler pulley that attaches to the alternator (which would have had to be
> removed to get to the water pump) resting on one of the A/C lines. Can
> you say shoddy workmanship on the part of the mechanic??? I knew you
> could.

Is the idler pully separated from the vehicle or is it's adjustment arm
loose? Is it just an idler or is the tensioner?

Old November 20th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
rec.autos.driving:
> Is the idler pully separated from the vehicle or is it's adjustment arm
> loose? Is it just an idler or is the tensioner?

Its just an idler. The belt goes from the steering pump around the idler
and to the alternator. The earlier Tauruses that I have owned had the
tensioner buried deep in the engine compartment, so I'm guessing this
one is no different. The pulley was the only thing that I pulled from
the engine compartment after I pulled over. It was just the wheel and
the bolt that attached to the alternator. Fortunately, the bolt didn't
appear to be broken, so hopefully it will be a quick fix for the
mechanic.

--
"My tars have been bald for two years.
Every month i glue some sandpaper to them and

--Laura Buch murdered her boyfriend
/ laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE 10/25/05

Message ID:
http://tinyurl.com/7p7xq
Old November 20th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article et>, necromancer wrote:

> the engine compartment after I pulled over. It was just the wheel and
> the bolt that attached to the alternator. Fortunately, the bolt didn't
> appear to be broken, so hopefully it will be a quick fix for the
> mechanic.

If the bolt is fine then someone didn't tighten it for certain....

Couldnt tell from your story if it was loose bolts or the thing had
sheared.

Old November 21st 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
rec.autos.driving:
> In article et>, necromancer wrote:
>
> > the engine compartment after I pulled over. It was just the wheel and
> > the bolt that attached to the alternator. Fortunately, the bolt didn't
> > appear to be broken, so hopefully it will be a quick fix for the
> > mechanic.

> If the bolt is fine then someone didn't tighten it for certain....
>
> Couldnt tell from your story if it was loose bolts or the thing had
> sheared.

Just got the car back a couple of hours ago. Closer examination of the
bolt revealed the bolt was fine, but the bearings in the pulley had
seized. When that happened, the belt grabbed the pulley and backed it
out of the hole. Guess that's better than having the belt snatch the
pulley and either burn up the belt or torque the bolt down so hard that
it has to be tapped out.

Oh, well, I guess that's the price of driving a 10YO car with 133 000
miles on the odometer.....

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar