89 civic keeps on dying when engine stars

Old July 23rd 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john

Default 89 civic keeps on dying when engine stars

I have a problem with my 89 civic hatch. Everytimes i start the engine
i need to press on the gas to keep it on. if i let go then the iddle
drops down all the way to the 0 rpm then the engines dies...do you guys
might know the problems..?Is it the fuel pump or the plug wires otr the
distributor..? please help me...

Old July 23rd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

john wrote:
> I have a problem with my 89 civic hatch. Everytimes i start the engine
> i need to press on the gas to keep it on. if i let go then the iddle
> drops down all the way to the 0 rpm then the engines dies...do you guys
> might know the problems..?Is it the fuel pump or the plug wires otr the
> distributor..? please help me...

could be things like poor ignition system, a slipped timing belt or a
faulty idle air control valve. when it's running and you have your foot
on the gas, how does it run? rough or ok? if ok, suspect the valve.
with the engine on, pull it's electric control plug and you should hear
it clicking. if not, the valve is faulty. but check the ignition and
timing first - they're more likely.
Old July 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

When was the last time a tuneup (plugs, wires, distributor
cap and maybe rotor, air filter, fuel filter, check the
timing) was done? Were OEM parts used for the tuneup? When
was the last time the cooling system was purged of air? Has
the coolant been changed recently? How many miles are on the
car?

"john" > wrote

Old July 23rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john

Well i'm not sure what happen to the car. It was running perfect until
my friend took it to a test drive...He said he reved it pretty bad,all
the way to red line..the car just started doing that after he did
that...
when the car runs and i have my foot on the gas, the car runs
mormal...its just that when you stop and you have to let go of the gas
then the car iddles down and dies.and the rpm is very low.almost always
to ythe 0 rpm...

Old July 23rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john

thanks for replying...I just had the tune up couple weeks ago...new
plugs, new oil, new filter...the cars has over 200k miles on it...but
it was running good until i had my friend test drive it...he said he
reved it pretty bad...ever since he did that to the car, the car just
started dying...like there's not enough gas cuming or like the car is
having hard time breathing, like it chokes a little before it actually
start...

Old July 23rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john

what do you mean valve...which valve should i take the electric plug
from?

Old July 23rd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

john wrote:
> Well i'm not sure what happen to the car. It was running perfect until
> my friend took it to a test drive...He said he reved it pretty bad,all
> the way to red line..the car just started doing that after he did
> that...

ok, definitely check into the timing belt. it's very common for belts
to be tensioned incorrectly if the procedure mandated in the shop manual
is not followed to the letter, and they skip when stressed. it's not
your friend's fault - the motor should be able to red line and beyond
without this kind of occurrence, and it never does if the belt's done right.

get or borrow a timing light and check the ignition timing. if the belt
has skipped, the timing will be out.

if you're planning on keeping this car for any time and you're
interested in doing repairs yourself, invest in the factory repair
manual from helm.com. it'll save you a ton of time and money in
allowing you to quickly diagnose and fix a multitude of problems.
haynes & chiltons are very poor quality and often either wrong or
misleading.

Old July 23rd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john

thank you very much jim...i very appreciate your help...