1996 Explorer XLT AWD headlight replacement

Old September 14th 05, 05:37 AM
To Arms!!

Default 1996 Explorer XLT AWD headlight replacement

"Bob" > wrote in message
> 1996 Explorer XLT AWD - 147,000 miles
>
> My driver's side headlight (low beam only) is not working. What
> does
> it take to replace it? Is it a sealed beam or can I just replace
> the
> bulb? If just a bulb, will my local NAPA or Kragen's store probably
> carry it? In any case, any advice on it's removal and replacement?
>
> Thanks!
> Bob

On my 1996 Explorer V8 ~18k miles, there are some "flaps" on each side
(and just foward) of the radiator that you can accesss you headlight
bulbs. Lift the hood, lift the flaps, twist the bulb holder and
replace the bulb. Don't touch the new bulb with you hands.

The only time I have ever been stopped by a cop in my Explorer was
when it have ~500 miles on it and a cop stopped me for a burned out
headlight. That has been the only headlight that I have had to
replace. I carry a spare in my jack compartment. You should be able
to get these bulbs at your local auto parts store.

Old September 18th 05, 03:56 PM
Ed Mann

You need a 9007 bulb, available at any auto store or Wal-Mart.

It may be easier to replace if you remove the battery. I've done it
without, but it wasn't easy.

Old September 18th 05, 08:10 PM
johanb

Howbout checking voltage.......

Switch your lite switch on/off rapidly a couple of times

Do the same with high/low beam and see if that will clean the contacts
inside switch

Also if you have adjustable steering wheel, turn lites on and adjust
steering wheel high/low, some times a wire gets pushed outta the multi
function switch and will make contact again when adjusting it

Old September 18th 05, 08:15 PM
Vito

Voltage is 10.88 with engine off to L highbeam and R H/Lbeams.

I'll try try the tilt wheel and switch wiggling..

Vito

Old September 18th 05, 08:40 PM
Vito

Well...the jiggling didn't do anything...still no current to the lowbeam
wire.

Gonna start at the switch and work towards the headlight. There's gotta be
a reason why there's no current

Old September 18th 05, 10:59 PM
Vito

OK
I tested for continuity between Fuse 4 (wht/lt grn) and the left headlamp
socket by taking the back off the fusebox to get directly at the wire. Got
NO CONTINUITY.

This leads me to believe there is a break in that wire somewhere between the
fusebox and the lamp socket.

So I'll now try a jumper wire from the fusebox to the portion of accessible
wire that I know has continuity...be back shortly.

Vito

Old September 18th 05, 11:12 PM
johanb

Do you have autolamps ?????

Old September 18th 05, 11:18 PM
johanb

Look in your mailbox, hope that helps

Old September 21st 05, 03:20 AM
Ed Mann

Don't the EB's have a lamp out module that goes bad and causes this problem?