Mazda and Fiat to co-develop a roadster based on next-gen MX-5 Miata

Old May 24th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
MummyChunk

Default Mazda and Fiat to co-develop a roadster based on next-gen MX-5 Miata

From AB

Mazda Press Release: Mazda and Fiat announce co-operation program

(23-05-2012) -- Mazda Motor Corporation (Mazda) and Fiat Group
Automobiles S.p.A. (Fiat) have signed a non-binding Memorandum of
Understanding (MoU) for the development and manufacturing of a new
roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo marques based on Mazda's
next-generation MX-5 rear-wheel-drive architecture.

The study calls for both Mazda and Fiat to develop two differentiated,
distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific light weight, roadsters
featuring rear-wheel drive. The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will
each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.

The project assumption is that both vehicles will be manufactured at
Mazda's Hiroshima, Japan, plant with production for Alfa Romeo
envisaged starting in 2015.

"Establishing technology and product development alliances is one
of Mazda's corporate objectives and this announcement with Fiat is an
important first step in that direction. It is especially exciting to
be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo on a new
roadster based on the next-generation MX-5, which is such an iconic
vehicle for Mazda and recognised as the best-selling roadster of all
time." said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director
and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO.

"This agreement clearly demonstrates our commitment to Alfa Romeo
and the determination to grow it into a truly global brand. By
partnering with Mazda, we will be co-operating with the recognised
leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver
an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition. We are
appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to
maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship." said Fiat
CEO Sergio Marchionne.

The Final Agreement is expected to be signed in the second-half of
2012.

Mazda and Fiat have also agreed to discuss further opportunities for
co-operation in Europe.

Old May 24th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Good news for us roadster fans. Should bring more variations on a great
theme! Maybe more style, maybe more power! That would be sweet! I saw this
in Gizmag today also.

cd

news

Old February 3rd 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 5/24/2012 6:29 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Good news for us roadster fans. Should bring more variations on a great
> theme! Maybe more style, maybe more power! That would be sweet! I saw
> this in Gizmag today also.
>

> cd
>

> "MummyChunk" > wrote in
> message news
>> From AB
>>

>> Mazda Press Release: Mazda and Fiat announce co-operation program
>>
>> (23-05-2012) -- Mazda Motor Corporation (Mazda) and Fiat Group
>> Automobiles S.p.A. (Fiat) have signed a non-binding Memorandum of
>> Understanding (MoU) for the development and manufacturing of a new
>> roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo marques based on Mazda's
>> next-generation MX-5 rear-wheel-drive architecture.
>>
>> The study calls for both Mazda and Fiat to develop two differentiated,
>> distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific light weight, roadsters
>> featuring rear-wheel drive. The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will
>> each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.
>>
>> The project assumption is that both vehicles will be manufactured at
>> Mazda's Hiroshima, Japan, plant with production for Alfa Romeo
>> envisaged starting in 2015.
>>
>> "Establishing technology and product development alliances is one
>> of Mazda's corporate objectives and this announcement with Fiat is an
>> important first step in that direction. It is especially exciting to
>> be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo on a new
>> roadster based on the next-generation MX-5, which is such an iconic
>> vehicle for Mazda and recognised as the best-selling roadster of all
>> time." said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director
>> and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO.
>>
>> "This agreement clearly demonstrates our commitment to Alfa Romeo
>> and the determination to grow it into a truly global brand. By
>> partnering with Mazda, we will be co-operating with the recognised
>> leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver
>> an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition. We are
>> appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to
>> maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship." said Fiat
>> CEO Sergio Marchionne.
>>
>> The Final Agreement is expected to be signed in the second-half of
>> 2012.
>>
>> Mazda and Fiat have also agreed to discuss further opportunities for
>> co-operation in Europe.

Or, based upon Fiat's past reputation, a real disaster!
One of the worst cars I've ever driven was a Spanish "copy" of a Fiat,
known as a Siat. Manual gearshift on the dash, no less!
For a company located in a coastal country, the old Fiats sure rusted
out in a hurry!
Old February 6th 13, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 2/3/2013 5:35 PM, SteveH wrote:
> charlie > wrote:
>
>> Or, based upon Fiat's past reputation, a real disaster!
>> One of the worst cars I've ever driven was a Spanish "copy" of a Fiat,
>> known as a Siat. Manual gearshift on the dash, no less!
>> For a company located in a coastal country, the old Fiats sure rusted
>> out in a hurry!

> Nice uninformed ********, then.
>
> Fiat owned Seat at the time, so they mostly produced Seat badged small
> Fiats. Column shift was quite common across many manufacturers in the
> 50s and 60s and all cars used to rust rampantly back then.
>
> But other than that - great post!

This was in 1979-80, not 50-60s, and a fairly new Seat rental car on
Majorca.
We drove rental Opel's and Mercedes in Germany, Holland, Luxembourg,
Belgium and France. The Seat was not a column or floor shift, it had a
shifter sticking out of the center of the dash! (Manual, not Auto)
One of our ex neighbors, a woman, had a Fiat (Spider?) that mechanically
was in VGC, but the body was rusting
from the inside out.

The worst case of rust I ever saw was my father in law's 71 GMC
HD pickup. The body was lace in five years.
He, some years before, drove a Rambler to work until it just gave out in
the driveway. The car rusted until the middle literally sagged
down to the pavement. That's the Chicago area for you.