'05-'06 i-VTEC HP: Any real change?

Old April 17th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '05-'06 i-VTEC HP: Any real change?

I understand that horsepower number are being generated differently
between the two years for this engine, but what I don't know is this:

Was there any actual change AT ALL to the engine or the program that
tells the engine how to make it's horsepower?

Listing as new the "high performance intake and exhaust valve timing"
seems like something has in fact changed.

I'm also interested that the RPM where peak torque is generated is now
down by 500 rpm.

Comments?

> The 2.4-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine's output increases to 166
> horsepower @ 5800 rpm and 160 lbs.-ft of torque at 4000 rpm; new
> features include Drive-By-Wire (DBW) throttle control and high
> performance intake and exhaust valve timing. (Horsepower and
> torque calculations reflect new SAE J1349 procedures revised
> August 2004.)

| Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping |
| 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St |
| cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 |
Old April 17th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Charles Lasitter" > wrote in message
>I understand that horsepower number are being generated differently
> between the two years for this engine, but what I don't know is this:
>
> Was there any actual change AT ALL to the engine or the program that
> tells the engine how to make it's horsepower?
>
> Listing as new the "high performance intake and exhaust valve timing"
> seems like something has in fact changed.
>
> I'm also interested that the RPM where peak torque is generated is now
> down by 500 rpm.
>
> Comments?
>
>> The 2.4-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine's output increases to 166
>> horsepower @ 5800 rpm and 160 lbs.-ft of torque at 4000 rpm; new
>> features include Drive-By-Wire (DBW) throttle control and high
>> performance intake and exhaust valve timing. (Horsepower and
>> torque calculations reflect new SAE J1349 procedures revised
>> August 2004.)

> +-----------------------------------------+
> | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping |
> | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St |
> | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 |
> +-----------------------------------------+

Yes this engine did receive changes to the intake and exhaust. There is also
a new method of measuring an engines horsepower that Honda and several other
manufacturers have started using. If last years engine was tested using the
new method, It's rated output would have been about 3 to 4 horsepower less
than the 160 rating. The performance changes to the 2006 engine allow it to
make about 10 horsepower more with the torque peak about 500 rpm lower than
before the changes.

V6 24v belt change interval SteveH Alfa Romeo 1 October 31st 05 04:30 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
If REAL crashes aren't real, what crashes ARE real? Carl Taylor Driving 7 July 5th 05 08:16 AM
Jeep transmission filter/fluid change Eve Howard Jeep 4 February 7th 05 03:50 AM
Need ingition control module (ignitor in distributor) for 1995 Civic In2hoppn Honda 17 January 30th 05 10:25 AM