FOR SALE: Thomas Steering Wheel

Old January 15th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default FOR SALE: Thomas Steering Wheel

For the last 6 months I have been under going retina eye surgery in a attempt to correct the distorted vision in my left eye. While the doctors have been able to stop the spread of the disease and return some useful vision to that eye, the disease has now been detected in my right eye as well. To say the least, the effects of the disease makes computer racing difficult. So I'm selling my Thomas Steering wheel: TSB2 for $200 plus shipping. The wheel is approximately 5 years old and is in perfect condition. It has a serial port plug as well as their USB external adapter which works perfectly. All the pots have been changed to the 100 Ohm units as recommended.

The price is non-negotiable.

Interested parties please email me at:

Joel Willstein

Old January 16th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Joel Willstein" > wrote in
:

> For the last 6 months I have been under going retina eye surgery in a
> attempt to correct the distorted vision in my left eye. While the
> doctors have been able to stop the spread of the disease and return
> some useful vision to that eye, the disease has now been detected in
> my right eye as well. To say the least, the effects of the disease
> makes computer racing difficult. So I'm selling my Thomas Steering
> wheel: TSB2 for $200 plus shipping. The wheel is approximately 5
> years old and is in perfect condition. It has a serial port plug as
> well as their USB external adapter which works perfectly. All the
> pots have been changed to the 100 Ohm units as recommended.
>
> The price is non-negotiable.
>
> Interested parties please email me at:
>
> Joel Willstein

Oh man Joel, THAT is terrible. but now I see how you started beating me
in TPTCC races back in the day. lol....
Take care man, keep us apprised of your situation. I hope users all over
the world can pray and/or think warm fuzzy thoughts for you.
Best of luck.
dh
Old January 16th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thanks guys for the support.

I've been going to the eye surgeon every two months and like I said, they have stopped the spread of the disease in my left eye. Unfortunately for me, the affected area of the retina is dead center, so it distorts my vision. Since they've stopped the bleeding over a period of 2 months, the retina has started to clear up some, but I'm never going to have normal vision in that eye. I accepted the whatever the vision will be is ok with me, since you can get along just fine with one eye. But when they found the disease in the other eye, I wasn't exactly thrilled. Fortunately, it's in the right corner of the retina, so I don't see it most of the time. The key is to keep it there. hence the bi-monthly trips for whatever is needed. Thank goodness for health insurance.

The problem that I have with trying to race, is that as my eyes scans the screen the parts of the images distort like a fun mirror in a side show, which makes it nearly impossible to concentrate on driving. And you guys know how much I use to crash. At least now I have an excuse.

Joel

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message . 97.136...
"Joel Willstein" > wrote in
:

Old January 16th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I don't even know you but your in our prayers. Keep up the good attitude and it will pay off!

Lannie

Old January 17th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Uwe you should be able to pick that up at any general electronics store (ie:
Radio Shack). I'm not home right now to check who the manufacturer of it is
but it's pretty generic.

Old January 17th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:14:38 GMT, Michael Horton wrote:
>> Uwe you should be able to pick that up at any general electronics
>> store (ie: Radio Shack). I'm not home right now to check who the
>> manufacturer of it is but it's pretty generic.
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> I'm currently using a rockfire usb adapter with high spec pots
> installed in my TSW2mod (the wood model). While I am not unhappy with
> this solution, the axis resolution leaves a bit to be desired (64
> values on the pedals, around 128-140 on the steering). Do you think
> that switching to a different USB adapter might improve the axis
> resolutions? The one I bought cost aroune 10 Euros if I remember
> correctly.

Uwe, you've heard this before but I'll repeat it. Do NOT waste you time
with the Radio Shack USB adapter, I'd send you mine for free but it would
be a waste of postage. It has a full 20 points of steering resolution.
You can find a lot of very positive feedback on the Beta Innovations /
Plasma Lite USB adapter(aprox 72 Euros plus shipping). I believe it's over
a 1000 points of steering resolution with a ton of software tuneability. If
I hadn't gone for ECCIs Hi Def USB option out of laziness I would have
installed the Plasma Lite. http://www.betainnovations.com/

DonS
Old January 18th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The version I got from TSW with mine was the Rockfire and I've seen them at
Radio Shack.

Old January 18th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Michael Horton" > wrote in

> The version I got from TSW with mine was the Rockfire and I've seen
> them at Radio Shack.

The one I have is Radio Shack part #26-164,
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...tId=&kw=26-164
probably a different animal from the one TSW and ECCI supply.
Old January 18th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:32:57 +0100, Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
>> Thanks Don! I'll check out their site. I assume this product has a
>> proven track record regarding TSW2 compatibility?

It definitely does with ECCI systems, I don't see why it would be any
different with TSWs, it's all about connecting the three pots.

ECCI USB thread:http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=215108

TSW USB thread: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=174175

> Ugh, looks like some soldering / assembly is required, now I know what
> you meant by referring to your laziness. Would a conversion be
> complicated, require soldering and so on? Why can't they put this little
> thing in a box with two sockets?

It's a little bit of wiring and soldering, you can handle it The big
difference when going to ANY hi resolution USB solution is that the third
pot pin, normally unconnected, must be connected to ground with hi res USB,
so it can't be done by just plugging into a box like the Rockfire,
you either replace your wiring harness completely with a prebuilt kit, or
do a bit of wiring yourself. I believe TSW offers a USB upgrade kit which I
assume requires no wiring but probably costs WAY more than the Plasma Lite.
Talk to Edward, our MARA admin, he's totally up on the Plasma Lite as
that's what he used in his home built cockpit.

Whatever you do you'll be glad you got away from the gameport, it's on it's
way out.

DonS