rFactor INI Management

Old January 12th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default rFactor INI Management

Has anyone created an INI management program for rFactor?

This silly INI thing is the main thing keeping me from really enjoying this
program to it's fullest. I just don't have time to futz with it!

I just wanna race dammt

If there was a front-end written to manage these things it would be
extremely useful.

Hell, it SHOULD be in the game itself!

ISI has been guilty of this for years.

-Larry

Old January 12th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Larry (The Other Larry)" > wrote in message
> Has anyone created an INI management program for rFactor?
>
> This silly INI thing is the main thing keeping me from really enjoying
> this program to it's fullest. I just don't have time to futz with it!
>
> I just wanna race dammt
>
> If there was a front-end written to manage these things it would be
> extremely useful.
>
> Hell, it SHOULD be in the game itself!
>
> ISI has been guilty of this for years.
>
> -Larry

I've only changed a couple of things. This sim has required very little
tweaking from me compared to others actually. How many have you chnaged
Larry?

--
David G Fisher

Old January 13th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Modman v5 will install any mods/updates while still preserving all of the
original files so you can easily un-install then easily re-install any mod
at any time in a couple clicks.

It was originally for Lomac but the author has migrated to other sims
including rFactor.

I dont have a link but www.lomacfiles.com is a place to start.

Mitch

Old January 13th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Well, first I don't know exactly what _needs_ to be changed.

That's also part of the problem.

Everything should be in the _interface_.

I just don't have time for this tinkering. Is this a Simulation or a model
airplane?

-Larry

Old January 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Cool!

-Larry

Old January 13th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Well, first I don't know exactly what _needs_ to be changed.

> That's also part of the problem.
>
> Everything should be in the _interface_.
>
> I just don't have time for this tinkering. Is this a Simulation or a
> model airplane?
>
> -Larry

Nothing *needs* to be changed. Just go othrough the UI, decide what you
want, and then race. :-)

I sure wouldn't want the Papy approach where you get a MUCH smaller number
of options, and only available through the interface. rFactor has a larger
UI than Papy's, but you can then do some simple text editing if you want
even more control. No one's putting a gun to your head to use them though.
:-)

--
David G Fisher

Old January 16th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I wonder how much of an advantage people can gain by 'tweaking' the INI
files that the online system doesn' recognize as changes.

Old January 16th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I wonder how much of an advantage people can gain by 'tweaking' the
> INI files that the online system doesn' recognize as changes.
>
> -Larry

Right off the top of my head, I can't think of any performance tweeks
in the ini or plr files with the exception of the high level vs standard
physics calculations. Most of the changes are items like do you want the
lap counter to start at lap zero or lap 1. Do you want to see smoke and
sparks flow over the tires. Do you want to see the rear wing in the
mirrors, Do you want the AI to take over the car once you cross the s/f
line.
Most of the items are probably fps degraders and thus might be
considered handicaps rather than advantages.
dave henrie
Old January 16th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Larry \(The Other Larry\)" > wrote in

> Well, first I don't know exactly what _needs_ to be changed.
>
> That's also part of the problem.
>
> Everything should be in the _interface_.
>
> I just don't have time for this tinkering. Is this a Simulation or a
> model airplane?
>
> -Larry

This post of yours has been festering inside me poor noggin for a day or
so. And suddenly BOOM! I figured out why. But first let me tell you a
story.

Several years ago, I was watching some Speedchannel thing on Mark
Martin. And he described a time when Jack Rousch was gonna fire him.
The reason was Davey Allison. Davey and Mark both drove Fords, And both
had similar power. Yet DA was whupping Mark week after week. Presure was
building from the top and nobody seemed to have an answer. Then one of the
crew began to notice funny little buldges in the fenders or sometimes some
extra flare in front of the tires. They began to compare their bodies to
the bodies on Allison's cars and noticed many tiny differences. You might
say it was the 2nd dawning of the Aero wars. Once the Rouch fabricators
figured out the Aero tweeks then Mark was able to race on par with Davey.
So while the PRESSURE was squarely on Mark, it really wasn't his fault.
The moral of the story is...how badly do you want to win? You have to
want to dig deeper, to get under the obvious and look for the teeny tiny
things that will separate you from your competitors.

The fact is....to enjoy the sim and to drive fast, you don't need to do
ANY ini tweeking. The ability to change subtle things however, is an
option for you to explore. Just because there is a GUI slider does still
not mean you will understand or exploit any paticular setting. For
instance, to this day, I have no idea what the extra sliders in the
advanced controllers section in Nr2k3 do. (Except the linearity slider) I
see a name for the slider and I may guess at what the purpose is, but I
have never seen nor heard of any explanation as to their function.

There may be, contrary to my earlier post, some performance enhancements
in the ini and plr files. But you have to first have the skill to exploit
those changes and then, the knowledge to find them. Go read the plr file
and the controller ini file. The comments for many of the lines may open
your eyes to some new posibilities. And for those frightened of wrecking
their sim, just back up the original file before you begin tweeking. Then
if you change some setting that causes disaster, you can just rename your
old file again.

dave henrie
Old January 16th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Has anyone fully documented these things yet? Thats the other problem. If
I do decide I want to tinker with the 'model airplane', I first have to
decode the grain in the balsa

-Larry

. 97.136...