Starforce again

Old January 15th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Starforce again

>Your sarcasm is not lost on me Uwe, but your assumption is correct.
>> Google "trusted platform module" or "palladium BIOS". Whether any of
>> it becomes accepted/mainstream to the point of "their" intent remains
>> to be seen. But make no mistake, the intent exists, as do the efforts
>> to fulfill that intent.
>>
>> This progresses as per some entities' plans, and Orwell could be
>> proven correct in "1984", save for the title.
>>
>> /tinfoil hat off
>>
>> ...but just within reach here on my desk, along with my favorite Linux
>> distros.
>>
>> Have a great day,
>>
>> Brett

And let's not forget those talented jhackers that can download,
disassemble and modify bios images. Even palladium is vulnerable to user
whims.
So at the end of the day, someone will still find a way around it.

I mean no offense to the real 1%'ers, but because of 1%, 99% will get
screwed?
--
ZZ

<a
href="http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=1">Get
Firefox!</a>

Old January 15th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote
> goes to prove again that now computer is safe that one has physical
> access to. I wonder what "they" will try to do about that? Now where did
> I put that focusin bottle...??
>
> Cheers, uwe

Focusin or Kool-Aid? Enough Uwe, we ALL know you arent able to make a
reasonable judgement on any MS products and thats fine but enough MS bashing
already.

Linux is not a consumer friendly OS know matter what SPIN you throw out.
Reality check, do you really think any of us care who makes our OS? Hell
no, I want what works best, and without a doubt in the consumer arena
Windows is far and away a superior product. When Linux looks and works like
a modern OS (not some shareware mess it currrently is) then Im convinced
everyone would migrate without a second thought.

This isnt the place for this discussion and Ive visited places that do and
they all are nothing more than a stable for the unreasonable kool-aid
drinking activists with more time than sense.

Mitch

Old January 15th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> So at the end of the day, someone will still find a way around it.
>
> I mean no offense to the real 1%'ers, but because of 1%, 99% will get
> screwed?

1%?? Try 40-50%...

Old January 15th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I hate MS as much as anyone and I desperately wish that Linux was a decent
alternative but it just plain isn't. Linux distros that even begin to
approach user-friendliness are 10 times slower and more bloated than Windows
has ever been. Sad but true.

Old January 16th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

What surprises me is that *anyone* at all defends Starforce and MS to
any extent.

I have nothing against MS, as long as I can select applications and turn
off the useless stuff at my choosing.

And I love linux, since it gives me the ultimate power on my own machine.

Comparing the two are comparing two non-comparative things; For one,
linux is free, MS is not. This makes it utterly useless to compare the
two in next to any context.

I don't recognize my current linux distro in any of your assessments,
since it performs magnificently well on an ancient (7 years old) P3, and
it feels like a perfectly modern OS.

Linux is most of all *different*, and attacking something because it is
*different* is the least valid of all possible imaginable arguments.

---A---

Old January 16th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Brett wrote:

> This progresses as per some entities' plans, and Orwell could be
> proven correct in "1984", save for the title.

F Orwell, he stole that book from Ayn Rand.

Don McCorkle
Old January 16th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

It is now common knowledge that Mr. Orwell was a good old-fashioned
arsehole. :-)

---A---

Old January 17th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

First off Im not defending anyone.

Dev's are using copy protection for a reason (Pirates). If they feel they
need it then so be it so long as it is as un-obtrusive as possible, which
Starforce is. It can and will get much worse in our lifetimes. All the
while these lunatic fringe activists are just going to drive dev's to the
consoles leaving us simmers high and dry....

Look at the reverse effect PETA is having on both the activists and the
public. The activists are getting more and more daring doing just about
anything to be heard while the general public for the most part ignores
them. The activists must then go that much farther to make the headlines
and now they are looked at as nothing more than a out of control left wing
terror group.

As far as MS goes Im just sick and tired of the activists and their
unreasonable comments. If you don;t like MS fine but why do so many feel
the need to bash MS at every single opportunity, ad nauseum... No different
than the freaks on the far left and their incessant never ending crying
about Bush or the far rights crying about Clinton.

What does L:inux being free have to do with being comparable? They are
both PC OS's and deserve to be compared to each other.

Every 6 months or so for the past decade Ive installed numerous distro's
(Suse my fav) and while they are improving the pace lags well behind Windows
releases..

You arent going to run Linux in an acceptable manner with a current desktop
manager (KDE or Gnome) on a P3 of any species... It may run but not
acceptably.

Trust me, I also want a free OS and could care less who gives it to me.
Right now Linux isnt it, free or otherwise.

You are misreading my comments if you think Im attacking Linux. I get
questions regarding Linux daily but when the end user can't even install a
printer in XP then what chance does he have with Linux? Not much and that
pretty much sums it up for me..

Mitch

Old January 17th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Every 6 months or so for the past decade Ive installed numerous distro's
> (Suse my fav) and while they are improving the pace lags well behind
> Windows releases..
>
> You arent going to run Linux in an acceptable manner with a current
> desktop manager (KDE or Gnome) on a P3 of any species... It may run but
> not acceptably.
>
> Trust me, I also want a free OS and could care less who gives it to me.
> Right now Linux isnt it, free or otherwise.
>
> You are misreading my comments if you think Im attacking Linux. I get
> questions regarding Linux daily but when the end user can't even install a
> printer in XP then what chance does he have with Linux? Not much and that
> pretty much sums it up for me..

Hear, hear, Mitch. I agree with everything you wrote.

Suse is my favourite distro too but even it tries too hard to be a Windows
clone.

I enjoy tinkering though and my current goal is to setup a MythTV HTPC but
that's a pretty tall order for a non-Linux-guru. Knoppmyth won't even
install on my pretty standard AMD64 system for some reason...

Old January 17th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mitch,

Here's Microsoft's biggest problem...

They went from a crashy, bug-infested operating system (Windows 95 and 98)
to a relatively stable and useable operating system (Win2K and XP) but along
the way picked up so many security holes that the term swiss cheese doesn't
do it justice.

When someone like me has to spend 30-40% of their support time removing
spyware picked up via drive-by silent installs from web pages (an issue
Microsoft STILL has not addressed to this day) then, well, that's just wrong
dammit.

Microsoft deserves a lot of what they get.

-Larry

t...

GTR and Starforce Engineer Simulators 87 January 17th 06 07:51 PM
Starforce again mike Simulators 0 January 11th 06 04:15 AM
SO, GTL? Starforce cause hard reboots? Sting32 Simulators 30 August 22nd 05 09:59 AM
Boycott Starforce reggie white Simulators 8 August 20th 05 05:50 AM
Starforce Mike Beauchamp Simulators 1 October 17th 04 11:55 PM