HID conversion

Old October 23rd 05, 04:48 PM
JohnV@nn

Default HID conversion

Not too long ago, HID headlight conversion kits were over $1000 (and
some were $2000). Now there are kits on eBay for under $400 and some
under $300. They even claim to do high- and low-beams. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bi-xe...015 270QQrdZ1

Does anyone know if such a conversion is legal on an older car? And
how much difference does it really make over the conventional
(filament-type) bulbs?

Thanks,
John
93 GT

Old October 23rd 05, 06:57 PM

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Not too long ago, HID headlight conversion kits were over $1000 (and
> some were $2000). Now there are kits on eBay for under $400 and some
> under $300. They even claim to do high- and low-beams. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bi-xe...onversion-Kit-
50W_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8008015 270QQrdZ1

You might want to zip over to rec.autos.tech, and run a search for this.
Daniel Stern has posted about it fairly recently. He runs some sort of
lighting
business, and is very knowledgeable about kits, legality, etc. He can be
very
helpful, or a bit of a prick if he is having one of his ego moments.

Old October 23rd 05, 07:44 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

JohnV@nn wrote:
> Not too long ago, HID headlight conversion kits were over $1000 (and
> some were $2000). Now there are kits on eBay for under $400 and some
> under $300. They even claim to do high- and low-beams. For example:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bi-xe...015 270QQrdZ1
>
> Does anyone know if such a conversion is legal on an older car? And
> how much difference does it really make over the conventional
> (filament-type) bulbs?
>
> Thanks,
> John
> 93 GT

Do NOT buy any kits from Ebay. That said, the cheap kits are just
that and they mearly replace the low beam bulb with an HID pod. The only
way you can do HID high and low beam properly is with two bulbs or with
a projector assembly like the one used by Nissan, Toyota or Mecedes etc.

--
I try hard to help newbs with understanding blocklists,
but frankly I think first we should demand that they
Old October 23rd 05, 08:02 PM
JohnV@nn

Wow, you were right. Here's what Mr. Stern has to say on the subject:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

John

HID Conversion in a 2002 Passat SW Nate Nagel Technology 3 August 8th 05 06:14 PM
Disc Brake Conversion on C2 StingRay Corvette 13 June 22nd 05 05:34 PM
1200 flywheel conversion haridev VW air cooled 2 April 29th 05 09:31 PM
12V conversion question N8N Technology 1 February 9th 05 01:01 AM
Car conversion notes, addendum 2 David Dalton General 3 June 22nd 04 02:25 PM