High rpm on S4

Old May 24th 05, 11:36 PM
S4fan

Default High rpm on S4

Hi,

It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even
though it has a 4.2L V8.
The 6sp version goes to 3100rpm at 80mph.

Is it any different for automatic ones?

--S

Old May 25th 05, 08:38 AM
Pete

"S4fan" wrote

> It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even
> though it has a 4.2L V8.
> The 6sp version goes to 3100rpm at 80mph.

That's not really that high revving, unless you're used to some old american
pushrods. My 1.8T is at 3000 rpm @ 65 mph in last gear (5th).

> Is it any different for automatic ones?

Yes, the gearing is different:
http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/04/s4avant.pdf

If my math is correct, you should be at around 90 mph at 3000 rpm with
automatic in last gear (6th).

Cheers,

Pete

Old May 25th 05, 09:32 AM
Peter Bell

In message .com>
"S4fan" > wrote:

> It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even
> though it has a 4.2L V8.

.... and the 4.2L V8 in the new RS4 is rev-limited at 8250rpm!

Old May 25th 05, 01:06 PM
Ronny

Pete wrote:
> "S4fan" wrote
>>
>> It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even
>> though it has a 4.2L V8.
>> The 6sp version goes to 3100rpm at 80mph.

> That's not really that high revving, unless you're used to some old
> american pushrods. My 1.8T is at 3000 rpm @ 65 mph in last gear
> (5th).
>

>> Is it any different for automatic ones?

> Yes, the gearing is different:
> http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/04/s4avant.pdf
>
> If my math is correct, you should be at around 90 mph at 3000 rpm with
> automatic in last gear (6th).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

I hate my 1.8TQ on the motorway, at 60-65mph its at 3000 rpm which is far
too high, I just wish I got the 6 speed version.

Should be geared better imo, my 2.6 was only slightly better, I have driven
a 1.3 fiesta that cruised at a lower rpm at 65.

Old May 25th 05, 02:10 PM
Pete

"Ronny" > wrote
> I hate my 1.8TQ on the motorway, at 60-65mph its at 3000 rpm which is far
> too high, I just wish I got the 6 speed version.

Yup, that's definitely a high revving engine. The upside is - you don't
have to downshift to pass at that speed.

> Should be geared better imo, my 2.6 was only slightly better,

Some people have swapped the 2.8 tranny into the 1.8T (B5), but I guess it's
not worth doing unless your tranny is dead and you need to get a new one
anyway.

Cheers,

Pete

Old May 25th 05, 02:40 PM
JP Roberts

Don't know the answer to your question but I read the new RS4 is going to
rev past 8,000 rpm...

oups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 07:00 PM
S4fan

Pete wrote:
> "S4fan" wrote
> >
> > It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even
> > though it has a 4.2L V8.
> > The 6sp version goes to 3100rpm at 80mph.

> That's not really that high revving, unless you're used to some old american
> pushrods.

Thanks.
Well, a friend of mine told me his 330i does less than 3000 at 80mph.

My 1.8T is at 3000 rpm @ 65 mph in last gear (5th).

Really?? I recently drove a 2005 1.8T automatic. I remember it was
doing 3000rpm at 80mph (100rpm less).

> > Is it any different for automatic ones?

> Yes, the gearing is different:
> http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/04/s4avant.pdf
>
> If my math is correct, you should be at around 90 mph at 3000 rpm with
> automatic in last gear (6th).

This explains the higher fuel efficiency with an automatic.

> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Thanks,

--S

Old May 26th 05, 06:22 PM
Dano58

My 1.8t turns 2800 rpm at 80 mph - the 6-speed is wonderful! 38 mpg
then too!

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA