Sat Radio

Old September 10th 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Sat Radio

Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>Except that I am sure I read that the two are merging. Maybe the 'system'
>will arrive in Europe then. DAB (digital audio broadcasting) radio may not
>progress much further and will probably be overtaken by internet radio
>(though that's not helpful to motorists).

Yes, the two satellite providers in the US are merging, but there are
other satellite radio providers in other parts of the world.

For the most part the audio quality of the satellite radio systems IS
pretty awful, because they compress the crap out of everything (lossy
digital compression, I mean, not dynamic range compression). People want
more channels, not better-sounding channels, so that's what they get.

I am sorry to hear DAB isn't doing well... sadly we didn't get DAB in the
US because the available L-band frequencies were taken by the military who
didn't want to give them up. Instead we got an in-band digital format that
is called Ibiquity IBOC and sold as "HD Radio." It works but it's not very
elegant and range is not as good as with the European standard.

>BTW, just ignore hsg (Hugh) of Bognor. We have good food in England now
>(thanks to French chefs). Maybe he can't cook/lives with someone who can't
>cook/there's no decent food in his small town... ;-)

There has been good food in England for years. Why, you can get a good
vindaloo... and lamb dansak... and tikka masala.... and all kinds of great
traditional English foods like that.
--scott
Old September 10th 08, 08:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:16:12 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling" >
wrote:

>Except that I am sure I read that the two are merging. Maybe the 'system'
>will arrive in Europe then. DAB (digital audio broadcasting) radio may not
>progress much further and will probably be overtaken by internet radio
>(though that's not helpful to motorists).
>
>BTW, just ignore hsg (Hugh) of Bognor. We have good food in England now
>(thanks to French chefs). Maybe he can't cook/lives with someone who can't
>cook/there's no decent food in his small town... ;-)

We only have good food in England now because Tesco import 90% from everywhere
else in the world. Strawberries at Christmas?

French Chefs ????? Doubt it!

>http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...oller/Tourisme
>
>There is only one pub with notable food and that's 12 km from Bognor and the
>one Michelin-starred establishment is 20 km away.

Pray tell me where this "PUB" is as it's only 7 miles away --------- I thought
I'd tried all the pubs around here and only one is sociable enough to stay for
longer than 1/2 hour and 2 are Ok for a meal occasionally.

A friend of mine owns the Swan at Fittleworth - nice food but so expensive!

Hugh

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 10th 08, 12:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

To wit: Roux Bros and others. They set the tone, and now many British chefs
have achieved international acclaim. Of course food critics such as Egon
Ronay (not French) have helped.

Even the food at motorway service stations is passable, something that could
not safely be said maybe 20 - 30 years ago.

The pub is the Royal Oak Inn, Chichester.

Sorry, I did not check what the link opens. I thought it went straight to
the local restaurant selection.

At left hit "restaurants" the enter location, i.e. UK and Bognor Regis.

DAS

---
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:16:12 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"
> >
> wrote:

[...]
> French Chefs ????? Doubt it!
>

>>http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...oller/Tourisme
>>
>>There is only one pub with notable food and that's 12 km from Bognor and
>>the
>>one Michelin-starred establishment is 20 km away.

> Pray tell me where this "PUB" is as it's only 7 miles away --------- I
> thought
> I'd tried all the pubs around here and only one is sociable enough to stay
> for
> longer than 1/2 hour and 2 are Ok for a meal occasionally.
>
> A friend of mine owns the Swan at Fittleworth - nice food but so
> expensive!
>
> Hugh
>>
>>DAS

[...]

Old September 10th 08, 12:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

I understand that in Europe there is no service provider like Sirius/XM.

DAB has a number of tech difficulties with reception. I have not tried in a
car but I bought a portable receiver for home. Could not get reception of
more than a handful of obscure stations (and none of the BBC Radio stations
I listen to frequently) and then with difficulty. The area I live in has
some reception problems even with regular terrestial TV (though in central
London I am in a slight dip) but I might have been able to improve reception
with a rooftop antenna, as for TV. However, that would negate the
advantages of a portable. Gave the radio back to the shop.

I subsequently read that even the Beeb -- which spent millions on the
project -- might throw in the towel at some stage. Receiver take-up is not
high despite falling prices and with the rise of cheap wireless internet
connections dedicated internet radios are becoming widely available.

Why would I bother to switch away from good-quality FM to flaky, hissing
DAB?

To overcome the problem of large-area coverage for FM (e.g. for national
radio stations) while driving (changing frequencies) car radios have been
programmed for years to latch onto the strongest local signal for a
particular station. Works in large chunks (if not all) of (at least
western) Europe.

I tried the XM service when I last hired a car in the US in Dec 06. Once I
got the hang of the basics I thought it was quite good for the purpose. In
general, when listening to the radio, I like stations offering
general-purpose news, comment and entertainment -- such as BBC Radio 4, BBC
World Service, Deutsche Welle or similar regional programming -- rather
than dedicated niche-music stations, and we already pay for that via a
Licence Fee in a number of countries. (Well, in Britain the separate radio
fee was abolished may years ago.)

DAS

---

Old September 10th 08, 01:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:23:11 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling" >
wrote:

>To wit: Roux Bros and others. They set the tone, and now many British chefs
>have achieved international acclaim. Of course food critics such as Egon
>Ronay (not French) have helped.
>
>Even the food at motorway service stations is passable, something that could
>not safely be said maybe 20 - 30 years ago.
>
>The pub is the Royal Oak Inn, Chichester.

Not exactly Chichester more Lavant/Goodwood. This area is rather like a
"stockbroker" belt of £££££££££ although Lavant itself is/was more a place for
farm workers and has a good many "Council" houses and the cheaper range of Wimpy
type homes.

The town was initiated for workers on the Goodwood estate (Lord March the
present encumbrant)

Will try it next time we go "out".

Hugh

>Sorry, I did not check what the link opens. I thought it went straight to
>the local restaurant selection.
>
>At left hit "restaurants" the enter location, i.e. UK and Bognor Regis.
>
>DAS
>
>To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
>---
.. .