X5 off road?

Old August 12th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tim H

Default X5 off road?

Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the beaches
and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my Ford
Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much rather
drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach driving.

The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
mode of transportation to and from the Cape.

Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.

I appreciate any feedback the group may have.

Thanks!

T/

Old August 12th 08, 01:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:12:01 -0400, "Tim H" > wrote:

>Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the beaches
>and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my Ford
>Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much rather
>drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach driving.
>
>The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
>perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
>mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>
>Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
>possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
>PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>
>I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>
>Thanks!
>
>T/

Cripes, I see old clapped-out Chevy sedans on Cape beaches.
It ain't no thing.
Even an X5 ought to be able to deal with mere sand...
Old August 12th 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob[_7_]

Tim H wrote:
> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the beaches
> and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my Ford
> Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much rather
> drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach driving.
>
> The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
> perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
> mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>
> Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
> possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
> PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>
> I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>
> Thanks!
>
> T/

I am sure the X5 can handle it without issue but on the other hand why
not get a 540iX and have an even nicer ride?

Cheers, Bob
Old August 12th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Bob" > wrote
> Tim H wrote:
>> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
>> beaches and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my
>> Ford Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much
>> rather drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach
>> driving.

> I am sure the X5 can handle it without issue but on the other hand why not
> get a 540iX and have an even nicer ride?

Uhh, because we don't get anything but a 528xi or 535xi in the US,
and the only V8 is the 4.8L (550i)? And the clearance of the 5-series
is not really great and easy to high-center?

FloydR

Old August 12th 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Tim H" > wrote in message
> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
> beaches and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my
> Ford Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much
> rather drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach
> driving.
>
> The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
> perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
> mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>
> Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
> possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
> PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>
> I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>
> Thanks!
>
> T/

The X5 is OK for light off road, but it isn't in the same league as a Range
Rover.

OTOH although I wouldn't describe it as a bad drive (better than most
American cars!) it is not in the league of a 5 series sports saloon.

As seen elsewhere in this thread, why not get a 535iX? I am not sure
exactly what the US spec' is or the model year, but my current 735i is a V8,
and it should easily outperform a 4l X5 in almost every department.

Old August 12th 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:00:33 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>"Tim H" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
>> beaches and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my
>> Ford Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much
>> rather drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach
>> driving.
>>
>> The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
>> perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
>> mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>>
>> Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
>> possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
>> PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>>
>> I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> T/
>>

>The X5 is OK for light off road, but it isn't in the same league as a Range
>Rover.
>
>OTOH although I wouldn't describe it as a bad drive (better than most
>American cars!) it is not in the league of a 5 series sports saloon.
>
>As seen elsewhere in this thread, why not get a 535iX? I am not sure
>exactly what the US spec' is or the model year, but my current 735i is a V8,
>and it should easily outperform a 4l X5 in almost every department.

Well its obvious that you guys have not yet seen the X6 range then -
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 12th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:00:33 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tim H" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
>>>

>>The X5 is OK for light off road, but it isn't in the same league as a
>>Range
>>Rover.
>>
>>OTOH although I wouldn't describe it as a bad drive (better than most
>>American cars!) it is not in the league of a 5 series sports saloon.
>>
>>As seen elsewhere in this thread, why not get a 535iX? I am not sure
>>exactly what the US spec' is or the model year, but my current 735i is a
>>V8,
>>and it should easily outperform a 4l X5 in almost every department.
>>

> Well its obvious that you guys have not yet seen the X6 range then -

Well I said a 5 series exceed the X5 in almost every department, but of
course not in interior space as the X5 is a wheeled barn. The X6 manages to
me cramped than a 5 series as well.

> --
>
> Sir Hugh of Bognor

OK I suppose if you are a British short-ar*e as most of the minor nobility
are...
Most German cars are fortunately made for tall Germans - so I can fit in
them.

Old August 12th 08, 10:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:12:37 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:00:33 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
>> > wrote:

>>>The X5 is OK for light off road, but it isn't in the same league as a
>>>Range
>>>Rover.
>>>
>>>OTOH although I wouldn't describe it as a bad drive (better than most
>>>American cars!) it is not in the league of a 5 series sports saloon.
>>>
>>>As seen elsewhere in this thread, why not get a 535iX? I am not sure
>>>exactly what the US spec' is or the model year, but my current 735i is a
>>>V8,
>>>and it should easily outperform a 4l X5 in almost every department.
>>>

>> Well its obvious that you guys have not yet seen the X6 range then -

>Well I said a 5 series exceed the X5 in almost every department, but of
>course not in interior space as the X5 is a wheeled barn. The X6 manages to
>me cramped than a 5 series as well.
>
>> --
>>
>> Sir Hugh of Bognor
>>

>OK I suppose if you are a British short-ar*e as most of the minor nobility
>are...
>Most German cars are fortunately made for tall Germans - so I can fit in
>them.

Don't be such an arsehole - I am related to the Danish Crown and your cars are
so big due to the amount of high cholesterol fatty food you eat that turns you
into Michelin Men of at least 300lb+

Now back to being serious - if space and comfort are that important then you
should be looking at a Hummer or maybe a GMC semi tractor unit!

But the Range Rover (now Indian owned - TATA) is another proposition.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Old August 14th 08, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tim H[_2_]

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:12:01 -0400, "Tim H" > wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
>>beaches
>>and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my Ford
>>Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much rather
>>drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach driving.
>>
>>The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
>>perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more comfortable
>>mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>>
>>Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
>>possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
>>PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>>
>>I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>T/

> Cripes, I see old clapped-out Chevy sedans on Cape beaches.
> It ain't no thing.
> Even an X5 ought to be able to deal with mere sand...

Thanks for the observation, daytripper.

I'm not sure what Cape beaches you've been to. I go down to High Head in
Truro, and Race Point in Provincetown. I have to get over and across some
pretty steep parabolic dunes in the process. It's not heavy-duty
off-roading, certainly, but it's also not mere sand. Even in a Jeep, if you
don't drop your tire pressure to 10PSI or less, you aren't going to get
thru.

Thanks,

T/

Old August 14th 08, 05:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tim H[_2_]

"Bob" > wrote in message
newsW4ok.6271$%b7.5072@edtnps82...
> Tim H wrote:
>> Has anyone had an X5 off road on the beach? I frequently go on the
>> beaches and sand dunes of Cape Cod, and in the process I have to take my
>> Ford Excursion down since it's my only 4-wheel drive vehicle. I'd much
>> rather drive my 540 to the Cape, but that would rule out any beach
>> driving.
>>
>> The 540 is due for replacement this year, and it crossed my mind that
>> perhaps an X5 would work on the beach, as well as being a more
>> comfortable mode of transportation to and from the Cape.
>>
>> Basically, I'm looking at soft, white, "sugar" beach sand. It's not
>> possible to drive on this stuff without airing-down the tires to about 10
>> PSI, but that's not a problem - I have a compressor handy.
>>
>> I appreciate any feedback the group may have.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> T/

> I am sure the X5 can handle it without issue but on the other hand why not
> get a 540iX and have an even nicer ride?
>
> Cheers, Bob

Thanks, Bob. A 5-series iX would be way too low to the ground to get thru
the dunes. It would be high-centered almost immediately.

T/