C3 mech tach question?

Old November 15th 07, 05:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Robert in Ridgecrest, CA

Default C3 mech tach question?

C3 question. Could someone with a mechanical tach drive tell me where
the oil pressure sending unit is located? I'm trying to restore the
mechanical tach drive a previous owner removed. The oil sending unit
is now located next to the distributor, right where the tach drive
cable looks to run. Should the oil sending unit be mounted on the
driver side of the block?

Any help would be appreciated,
Robert
Old November 15th 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Robert in Ridgecrest, CA" > wrote in message
> C3 question. Could someone with a mechanical tach drive tell me
> where
> the oil pressure sending unit is located? I'm trying to restore the
> mechanical tach drive a previous owner removed. The oil sending unit
> is now located next to the distributor, right where the tach drive
> cable looks to run. Should the oil sending unit be mounted on the
> driver side of the block?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Robert

What year? My '72 has room enough to throw a mad cat through there. On
the other hand the '64 (C2) is a bit more congested with the plug
wires indexed one position to get a better shot at the cable
connection.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old November 16th 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PDDeen

On Nov 15, 10:33 am, "Dad" > wrote:
> "Robert in Ridgecrest, CA" > wrote in ...
>
> > C3 question. Could someone with a mechanical tach drive tell me
> > where
> > the oil pressure sending unit is located? I'm trying to restore the
> > mechanical tach drive a previous owner removed. The oil sending unit
> > is now located next to the distributor, right where the tach drive
> > cable looks to run. Should the oil sending unit be mounted on the
> > driver side of the block?

> > Any help would be appreciated,
> > Robert

> What year? My '72 has room enough to throw a mad cat through there. On
> the other hand the '64 (C2) is a bit more congested with the plug
> wires indexed one position to get a better shot at the cable
> connection.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

I don't know what year you are working on but 63' - 67' have
mechanical gauges thus only a 1/16" oil line to the gauge. No sending
unit. Don't remember what my 72' or 79' had.

PDDeen
Old November 28th 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:26:50 -0800 (PST), "Robert in Ridgecrest, CA"
> wrote:

>C3 question. Could someone with a mechanical tach drive tell me where
>the oil pressure sending unit is located? I'm trying to restore the
>mechanical tach drive a previous owner removed. The oil sending unit
>is now located next to the distributor, right where the tach drive
>cable looks to run. Should the oil sending unit be mounted on the
>driver side of the block?
>
>Any help would be appreciated,
>Robert

My 64 had a mechanical gauge with just the small oil line to the
guage. When I added an idiot light (race car) I added right angle
fitting and a tee to give me room for the sender and the oil line.