USPits gone forever...

Old January 3rd 05, 12:16 AM
rms

>With RSC in limbo the
> race sim community looks to be flying apart at the seams,

Well, the error msg implies they will be up as soon as they can. Did
they suffer a catastrophic data loss or what?

rms

Old January 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
Byron Forbes

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
> "Darus" wrote...
> > Quoted from their website forum:
> >
> > "After 9 years, 1 month, and 11 days, we had finally
> > had enough. <snip>

> > Why? We finally grew too tired of the bitching, whining,
> > complaining, bashing, and so on. We work for free here.
> > We do this because we like to. We want to enjoy editing
> > and racing, and when ingrates and crybabies start their
> > incessant griping, it gets very aggravating. We get to
> > where we don't enjoy this and it becomes a tedious job.

> Excuse me for being dense, but if you own the website, the mods and the
> forum, why do you put up with whining and bitching in the first place? -If

> had a site like that, things would be run as I saw fit and that would be
> that. And, should one come to a point where one's exhausted reasonable
> argument and the other party simply doesn't want to give it a rest, one
> simply bans him/her from the forum. Just about the only advantage of

forums
> over usenet I can think of.

Sounds to me like someone needed a holiday and probably should have
taken one first, re-assessed the situation and made a decision then. The
U.S. Pits has been around ever since I began simming back in 1996/97 and
it's a real shame if it ceases to be completely. Hopefully Jan and co will
indeed have a break now and come back with new enthusiasm that will outweigh
their present focus on the negative. Maybe they should go commercial?

> I hardly ever used "The Pits" (basically just to get the PWF stuff after
> they folded), so I'm not being put out by this situation, but I'm
> dissapointed Jan & Co didn't crush these bad apples instead of folding.

I'd like a bit more info on exactly what issues are being spoken of
here. I doubt it's particularly relevent though. Like I said, sounds like
someone needs a good break!

Old January 3rd 05, 12:49 AM
Mike Horton

One of the problems Jan was people posting stuff, without permission, on
their own websites and there's not much Jan, Goy, and company can do. But
when they mention it they get bitched out because of the "When you post
something on the internet it becomes public domain." bull**** and then
attempting to make the Pits look like the bad guys. I can't say that I blame
them and I'm glad they're going to slowly restore the N2003 stuff but
there's a truckload of useful things on the site.

Having used their site from pretty much the day after I got the internet and
doing a search for N1 files I can honestly say I'm going to miss them
greatly and I also wish them luck in their re-incarnation.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:52 AM
Mike Horton

I sent Jan an email prior to his forum posting offering to host the files
(not sure how my ISP would feel about it but screw 'em <g>). But you're
right John. The Pits was always the go to place. If they didn't have it they
had a link to whoever did.

Mike Horton
GSCL League Admin
http://gscl.cta-racing.com

Old January 3rd 05, 12:59 AM
Mitch_A

John DiFool wrote:

> I can only hope someone comes forward to fill this huge
> void.
>
> John DiFool

Well life goes on. All we can do now is thank the Pits for all the
contributions they have made over the years and wish them the best of luck.

Thanks fellas!

BTW John I never did recieve an email about that momo part.

Mitch

--

KNode enabled _____
Old January 3rd 05, 01:04 AM
Rusty Unger

On 2 Jan 2005 13:00:33 -0800, "Darus" > wrote:

>Quoted from their website forum:
>
>"After 9 years, 1 month, and 11 days, we had finally had enough.
>Sometimes you just have to say "that's it!" We did. We decided we were
>going to put up with it no more. The file areas, the archives, the
>tools, the forums...gone. And 90% of it will not return. Ever. Period.

This is so sad to see....a great community and great website is now
gone, and the people to blame are the idiots within our own community.
It was ashame, and the days were being counted on the wall, when
people posted and said, "Hey, I'm building a new mod, don't have a
release date, it is just in the works." Immediately following this
post in the USPITS and else where would be posts similiar to this,
"Cool man, when will it be released?" These posts would pile up for
weeks and months, and the people actually making the mod's would get
disgusted, can you blame them? Jan, and everyone else, I for one hate
to see you go, your site had more resources by far than any other, but
we have only the idiots in our community to blame, and frankly Jan, I
can't blame. I do believe you deserve the biggest pat on the back
though, for keeping up with the site all these years, and providing us
with more resources than we could ever wish for! We in this community
just need to have more patience, and learn to wait, because as most
have figured out, it is well worth it.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:37 AM
Don Wilshe

100% agree.. Been there done that.. about 6 years at the IVGA and
all the crap from thankless people. I dont blame you Jan you lasted
5 more years that I.. you are a great sim person..

Don Wilshe

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Quoted from their website forum:

"After 9 years, 1 month, and 11 days, we had finally had enough.
Sometimes you just have to say "that's it!" We did. We decided we were
going to put up with it no more. The file areas, the archives, the
tools, the forums...gone. And 90% of it will not return. Ever. Period.

Why? We finally grew too tired of the bitching, whining, complaining,
bashing, and so on. We work for free here. We do this because we like
to. We want to enjoy editing and racing, and when ingrates and
crybabies start their incessant griping, it gets very aggravating. We
get to where we don't enjoy this and it becomes a tedious job.

For those of you who have been great members of the sim racing
community...we apologise that we've decided to take this action.
However, all is not lost. Many of the editors and league admins will
not lose our support. We are not just going to take our toys and go
home. Over the next few weeks, we'll be bringing some stuff back
online, and the tutorials will remain up. We will put our N2003 mods
back online for racing leagues, the Ferrari 330 mod will also be
reposted.

But our focus on N2003 is gone, and will not return. We have a few
things that are still being worked on that will probably be posted, but
that will be about it. When we fully reopen down the line, it will be a
very streamlined editing-only US Pits that you see, and with tools and
toys for a much different mod...
Cheers!
_________________

Old January 3rd 05, 03:38 AM
Don Wilshe

Jan:

How much you figure your time as to do this for these people. I know
you have invested well over $100,000.

Don

Ill miss your service...

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 03:57 AM
J. P. Hovercraft

Geez! What a shame. That's where I got everything when I started in GPL.
They were the guys who treated my little repaints as real add-ons. Thanks,
guys, for everything and best of luck. You'll be missed.

J. P. Hovercraft

Old January 3rd 05, 05:09 AM
Tiny Lund

"Geez! What a shame. That's where I got everything when I started in GPL.
They were the guys who treated my little repaints as real add-ons. Thanks,
guys, for everything and best of luck. You'll be missed"

I agree thanks for being a pillar of the community. Having said that, I look
forward to the forums and sites that respond to the new breed of sims.
Long Live GPL! Now let's move on.