'01 M3 Diff oil

Old September 9th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default '01 M3 Diff oil

"Bob Smitter" > wrote
> "Floyd Rogers" > wrote:
> Ahh ... The experts at roadfly - always trust them. BTW, they are
> completely WRONG.

Ah. Then you're a BMW tech or expert, have read all the roadfly forum posts
and assert that they're always wrong. Get real here. Your say-so is just
as
"bad" as theirs.

All I'm saying is: the OP would be foolish to just go out and buy something
and throw it into their M3's diff. It's quite clear that the wrong fluid
will toast
the diff. Personally, I don't see why the OP doesn't just go to the dealer
and buy the OEM oil - yeah, it costs more but you won't have to worry.

Of course, there have been stories about dealer techs putting the wrong
oil in M3 diffs, too... ;-(

FloydR

Old September 9th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

I think I agree with you, Floyd. To be safe I'll get the lube at the dealer.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

acquisition...

Old September 9th 08, 08:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:08:44 -0400, "Planar1" > wrote:

>Thanks!
>

>"Bob Smitter" > wrote in message
>> "Planar1" > wrote:
>>> BTW, how much fluid does the diff hold? So I can buy the correct amount.

>> Naturally it takes about 1 1/4 quarts so that you have to buy 2.

Be careful with LSD oil/fluid.

I know this is a BMW list but in the OLD days (1965 - 1980) I used to race
various European FORDS - Lotus Cortina was one such machine - and the Salisbury
LSD available for the cars required a special oil.

The FORD spec was labeled - EM2C22B as a part number and being cynical as usual
we tried the basic spec of EP90. Oops! EP90 gave us Crunch, grunch, click click
on running whereas EM2C22B gave us a quiet smooth LSD operation and faster lock
up and release on the clutch plates.

Stick to the factory stuff..................

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 9th 08, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Sep 8, 6:25*pm, "Planar1" > wrote:
> I think I agree with you, Floyd. To be safe I'll get the lube at the dealer.
> Thanks to everyone for your input.

Whatever fluid you choose, don't forget to remove/loosen the filler
plug BEFORE opening the drain plug. Good Luck!
Old September 9th 08, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Bought the "real" stuff at the dealer. $97 for 3 liters! OUCH!!!

Old September 9th 08, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Sep 9, 12:52*pm, "Planar1" > wrote:
> Bought the "real" stuff at the dealer. $97 for 3 liters! OUCH!!!

Yow! Did you really need 3 liters worth? No matter, the key is you'll
be able to sleep at nights. Good Luck!
Old September 10th 08, 12:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Actually, it's even worse. Turns out the bottles were just 1/2 liter! Used
just about all of it.

"bfd" > wrote in message
On Sep 9, 12:52 pm, "Planar1" > wrote:
> Bought the "real" stuff at the dealer. $97 for 3 liters! OUCH!!!

Yow! Did you really need 3 liters worth? No matter, the key is you'll
be able to sleep at nights. Good Luck!

What paint for diff? [email protected] Technology 4 March 20th 07 04:37 PM
Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover... Doug Jeep 11 May 7th 05 06:21 AM
E36 Diff Problem? mOOnEyEs BMW 4 April 19th 05 02:55 AM
diff Ossie Carter Technology 1 April 6th 05 02:37 PM
BMW diff? LPG systems BMW 4 January 1st 05 11:17 AM