Older Tennessee drivers may encounter tougher laws

Old January 17th 12, 11:48 PM posted to alt.politics.usa,soc..culture.usa,misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving
Bob Crachet

Default Older Tennessee drivers may encounter tougher laws

There are enough laws really too too many already on the books and they
do the job.
This is just another case of busy bodies and nanny staters and "there
ought to be a law."
There were over 44,000 new laws in 10. How many more were passed last year?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120117/NEWS01/301170025/Older-Tennessee-drivers-may-encounter-tougher-laws?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Old January 18th 12, 01:22 AM posted to alt.politics.usa,misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving
richard

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:48:15 -0500, Bob Crachet wrote:

> There are enough laws really too too many already on the books and they
> do the job.
> This is just another case of busy bodies and nanny staters and "there
> ought to be a law."
> There were over 44,000 new laws in 10. How many more were passed last year?
>

> http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120117/NEWS01/301170025/Older-Tennessee-drivers-may-encounter-tougher-laws?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

I was upgrading my license at the local DMV office. Grandma was getting her
license renewed. The clerk had to give the instructions 3 times for each
thing. Grandmas responses were not all that clear. Finally out of
frustration, the clerk just handed the woman her license.
If it were me, grandma would be walking or taking a taxi.The cop she has to
deal with isn't gonna be so polite and easy.

According to the story, the lawmakers are looking into creating a law with
more restrictions. There is no new law yet in effect.

My father had to have hand controls installed in his car for the brakes.
There ain't no reason why the old lady in the story couldn't do the same.
I've seen a double amputee drive a car.
Old January 23rd 12, 06:54 PM posted to alt.politics.usa,misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving
Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year

On Jan 17, 6:22*pm, richard > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:48:15 -0500, Bob Crachet wrote:
> > There are enough laws really too too many already on the books and they
> > do the job.
> > This is just another case of busy bodies and nanny staters and "there
> > ought to be a law."
> > There were over 44,000 new laws in 10. How many more were passed last year?

> >http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120117/NEWS01/301170025/Older-Ten...newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

> I was upgrading my license at the local DMV office. Grandma was getting her
> license renewed. The clerk had to give the instructions 3 times for each
> thing. Grandmas responses were not all that clear. Finally out of
> frustration, the clerk just handed the woman her license.
> If it were me, grandma would be walking or taking a taxi.The cop she has to
> deal with isn't gonna be so polite and easy.
>
> According to the story, the lawmakers are looking into creating a law with
> more restrictions. There is no new law yet in effect.
>
> My father had to have hand controls installed in his car for the brakes.
> There ain't no reason why the old lady in the story couldn't do the same.
> I've seen a double amputee drive a car.

Old people would voluntarily give up the keys if they knew they faced
prison time for fatal crashes. But they know they can kill by the
dozens and nothing will be done about it. Remember george russell
weller.
Old January 24th 12, 01:50 PM posted to alt.politics.usa,misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 1/17/2012 8:22 PM, richard wrote:
> I was upgrading my license at the local DMV office. Grandma was getting her
> license renewed. The clerk had to give the instructions 3 times for each
> thing. Grandmas responses were not all that clear. Finally out of
> frustration, the clerk just handed the woman her license.
> If it were me, grandma would be walking or taking a taxi.The cop she has to
> deal with isn't gonna be so polite and easy.

Nor will the first responders and other emergency personnel be so
understanding at the crashes she might have a role in causing.

> My father had to have hand controls installed in his car for the brakes.
> There ain't no reason why the old lady in the story couldn't do the same.
> I've seen a double amputee drive a car.

As did my college roommate, a victim of poliomyelitis. He drives
automobiles fitted out just like F.D.R.'s.

Old February 1st 12, 06:14 AM posted to alt.politics.usa,misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:54:14 -0800 (PST), "Criminal Drivers Murder
35,000 Americans a Year" > wrote:
>Old people would voluntarily give up the keys if they knew they faced
>prison time for fatal crashes.

No they wouldn't. I sure wouldn't, because I don't believe I'm going
to have an accident. And, it would be age discrimination to assign a
harsher penalty to old people than young people for the same crime.

And... we face prison for fatal crashes already, depending on the
circumstances. The circumstances may simply be imagined by the cop,
too, and you get charged for something you couldn't have avoided
without being superman.