New Noise - Engine noise while in Drive - '02 1.8T Quattro

Old August 21st 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

Default New Noise - Engine noise while in Drive - '02 1.8T Quattro

Hello All,

2002 Audi 1.8T Quattro, Auto with Triptronic Transmission

New problem. Just back from having the engine serviced. Notice now
that while in drive (and only in drive - mind you I haven't tried it in
reverse yet) when the RPMs get to just over 2000 - there is a very
high-pitched "whirring" sound emitting from the engine (it is difficult
to pinpoint exactly where as this only happens when the car is in
drive). It seems as though it is emitting from the upper portion of
the engine but again it is very difficult to tell.

The "Whirring" noise increases in pitch and intensity as the RPMs
increase from 2000 to about 3500 (reducing as the gears shift and RPMs
decrease). If the car is in park or neutral this noise does not occur
even when the engine is brought to between 2000 and 3500 RPMs

I have run the car with the radio off - eliminating static interference
on the radio as one culprit. I have shut off all other electrical
components and the noise still persists

I just got the car back from major engine work due to sludge. I would
like to understand what this could be before I get "jammed" by the
dealer.

Thanks

Old August 21st 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

Thought about it some more - the noise almost sounds like a vacuum
cleaner motor (but much higher pitch) when the vacuum hose is clogged
or blocked.

Old August 21st 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

The sound you describe could be due to low power steering fluid but I do not
know why it would be related to the transmission. Still worth checking.

Old August 22nd 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

Thanks Tony. I am also puzzled. Incidentally, MIL illuminated as I
was driving home last night. Performance (acceleration) seems "soft" -
noise is still occuring.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

My 1.8TQM with APR 1 bar chip had another issue due to the wast gate actuator on
the K03 Turbo failing. When that happens you loose boost >> loss of power :-( It
is typical to hear a rattling in mid range engine RPM. I wouldn't call the sound
a buzzing but more of a high pitched rattle.

You can test this by looking beside the engine and above the turbo to see a
shiny rod running parallel to the length of the engine. It is quite difficult to
see or reach but can be done (when engine is cool). If you can reach it try to
move it with a stick to see if it is loose. If it is this may be your problem.
The K03 turbos have this happen quite often at 60 - 100 K. Fix is to either
replace the turbo or the just the waste gate assy can be found for around $200.
Labor will be three or four hours. DIY is possible but a bit challenging.

If this is your problem, you could also think of it as an opportunity to justify
a K04 / chip upgrade for more smiles.

Old August 22nd 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

Thanks Tony,

I am bringing it in tonight. I will have them scan the ECU (I think
that is what it is referred to) to get the code (since the MIL is
illuminated there should be a problem code associated with this). I
will also mention checking the Waste Gate Actuator.

Incidentally, I have never worked on cars (other than a 1980 Chevy
Citation) so a lot of the terms that are used are a little foreign to
me.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Old August 23rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

BTW - Turbo is shot - being replaced under extended engine warranty
(phew).

Now being told that the evaporator unit is acting up - what is this and
what does this mean? Can it be related to the Oil Sludge problem that
was supposed to be fixed last week?

What are these "chips" you mentioned. I am assuming this is an
"aftermarket" part - in this cased something to do withthe on-board
computer system that flashes the system and removes some of the
restrictions the stock system puts on the engine. How do I go about
looking into this and are there any good online resources?

Thanks

Old August 24th 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

You are lucky that the warranty covers it.

Evaporator is a component in the air conditioning system that cools the interior
air when the gas evaporates. It is located in the area below the windshield. Not
related to the sludge issue. Still the condenser part of the system is loosened
and swung down under the engine when major work is performed on the engine. Any
stress on the AC components risks causing a leak but not likely where they are
claiming. They are probably looking at an AC oil leak at a joint in the system.
Ask them to test with a 'sniffer' to confirm the problem. I would be suspicious
that they are just looking to get more $$$ from you to cover some of the
warranty costs.

Chips: various after-market performance parts companies sell chips that replace
the stock ones in the ECU. They reverse engineer the factory algorithm than
controls boost level, fuel mapping and ignition timing to optimize various
things including hp / torque. The stock chips are rather conservative and an
after market one can make a very impressive difference.

My chip is rated at one bar which increases boost from 7 - 10 up to 15 - 18. It
is available from APR performance parts.

If you are thinking of this you need to realize that it will void the remainder
of you warranty but will increase your enjoyment. Decisions. Decisions...

Old August 24th 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
CDN_THNK_TNK

Thanks for the info Tony.

Interesting story on the Warranty. When I purchased the car I was told
that the 1.8T engines have a problem with oil sludge but the engine was
to be covered by an 8 year warranty (i.e. on an '02 this would take the
warranty period to 2010). To me this sounded great. I did not
anticipate any problems and my mechanic said the car seemed in great
shape (obviously didn't look into the engine). About 200KMs into my
ownership of the car - it died - oil sludge.

Downside - I did not have the service records for the vehicle. Upside
was that the local Audi dealer/service center provided this information
and certified it in the Service Manual. Downside is that the previous
owner lapsed a few thousand kilometers on a couple of oil changes and
Audi was not honoring the warranty (initially) - after some heated
discussion and a very useless call to Audi Customer Advocacy center
(HAHAHAHA), VAG is now covering the car under the warranty. I would
have been screwed if they did not.

The turbo should be done by today.

This vap thing sounds a little fishy to me and I do wonder if it is the
center trying to recoup some margin off me since all of the work done
on my car to date is under warranty.

I may consider a mod chip in the future but at this point I want to
keep the warranty intact. It sounds like I will need it!

Cheers