Fuel Problem in 1985 F150 302 EFI

Old May 16th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel Problem in 1985 F150 302 EFI

I have just obtained a 1985 Ford F150 with the 302 engine, EFI fuel
system. This vehicle is in a no start condition, I have narrowed the
problem to a fuel problem by squirting gasoline in the intake and
cranking, the engine fires and will run as long as fuel is present.
Upon turning the switch to the "on" position, the high pressure pump
runs continously, not for 2-3 seconds as the "book" states it should.
I am not familuar with the Ford EFI system used in this vehicle so am
looking for hints as to where to start.

Thanks!

Vic

Old May 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

First off is it a throttle body or Multi-port injection. put a fuel
gauge on it and check the pressure. throttle body injection should take
4-9 psi to start. multi port will have the injectors (one for each
cylinder) in the intake. That system needs like 35-45 psi to work. I
think you would have TBI on that system. check your connections to the
injector to make sure it is good if your pressures are good. Also make
sure that you check the ground connections near the battery and at the
terminals. Make sure that you have no green wires (corroded) by lightly
pulling on them to make them break. Don't yank them just pull lightly.
Ford had a big problem with corroded wiring back then. I fixxed many a
vehicle by replacing battery terminal ends and ground wires for
conditions like this. By your description I would look there first.

Old May 16th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I recently ran into a no start with the pump making noise so we pulled
the gas line fitting at the engine to see if gas was flowing. Barely a
trickle came out. The impeller on the pump had come loose from the
shaft so it wouldn't build up pressure.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 17th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

If it was fuel injected it was the port fuel injection. Ford didn't
put a 302 throttle body in the F150, I don't even think they had one.
85 either was carb or mpfi like what the mustag gt had.