How does a vehicle pass Maryland emissions with the engine light on?????

Old October 30th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

Default How does a vehicle pass Maryland emissions with the engine light on?????

'06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our driver was). Engine light never goes out so codes have to be stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine problems though it does run good.

Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.
Old October 31st 14, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-10-30, m6onz5a > wrote:
> '06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our driver was). Engine light never goes out so codes have to be stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine problems though it does run good.
>
> Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.

Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the
regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.

Old October 31st 14, 07:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2014-10-30, m6onz5a > wrote:
>> '06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has
>> been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our
>> driver was). Engine light never goes out so codes have to be
>> stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine
>> problems though it does run good.
>>
>> Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.

> Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the
> regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.

Only way legally is if they have a waiver. Those are good for 2 years.
BUT you have to spend over $400.00 trying to fix it before they will
grant the waiver!

They have the same "Light is on = automatic fail" rule for light trucks
and cars as NY does so ????

--
Steve W.
Old October 31st 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Brent > wrote:
>On 2014-10-30, m6onz5a > wrote:
>> '06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our driver was). Engine light never goes out so codes have to be stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine problems though it does run good.
>>
>> Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.

>Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the
>regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.

Precisely. To my mind, it goes to show how in his location it's _not_
a scam. Apparently they just test the emissions and let you go if they
meet spec, which is how an emissions testing program would go if the
point was to actually decrease emissions.

When they start checking other things besides actual emissions,
THEN it's clear that a scam is going on and they are doing it to
increase revenue rather than decrease smog.
--scott
Old October 31st 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-10-31, Steve W. > wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>> On 2014-10-30, m6onz5a > wrote:
>>> '06 colorado 4cyl motor. Company vehicle.. The engine light has
>>> been on for over a year. I wasn't there during the test (our
>>> driver was). Engine light never goes out so codes have to be
>>> stored. Goodyear tire center told us we have internal engine
>>> problems though it does run good.
>>>
>>> Just goes to show what a scam emissions is.

>> Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the
>> regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.
>>

> Only way legally is if they have a waiver. Those are good for 2 years.
> BUT you have to spend over $400.00 trying to fix it before they will
> grant the waiver!
>
> They have the same "Light is on = automatic fail" rule for light trucks
> and cars as NY does so ????

If MIL on = automatic fail then there was a screw up.

Old October 31st 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Eric Peters (I think he lives in Virginia) has an article similar to that. http://ericpetersautos.com click on where it says Politics and then click on where it says Inspections.
Old October 31st 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:52:28 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
> On 2014-10-31, Steve W. > wrote:
> > Brent wrote:

> >> Depends on what the code is and what test is being used and what the
> >> regulations are with regards to the MIL in your state.
> >>

> > Only way legally is if they have a waiver. Those are good for 2 years.
> > BUT you have to spend over $400.00 trying to fix it before they will
> > grant the waiver!
> >
> > They have the same "Light is on = automatic fail" rule for light trucks
> > and cars as NY does so ????

> If MIL on = automatic fail then there was a screw up.

I just put a code reader on it. It came up with two codes.

PO017 - Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1 (was replaced)
PO300 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

Old October 31st 14, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-10-31, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:52:28 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>> > Only way legally is if they have a waiver. Those are good for 2 years.
>> > BUT you have to spend over $400.00 trying to fix it before they will
>> > grant the waiver!
>> >
>> > They have the same "Light is on = automatic fail" rule for light trucks
>> > and cars as NY does so ????

>> If MIL on = automatic fail then there was a screw up.

> I just put a code reader on it. It came up with two codes.
>
> PO017 - Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1 (was replaced)
> PO300 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

The second was probably caused by the first. Just clear them and see if
it comes back since the part was replaced otherwise the MIL will stay on
until an entire drive cycle is completed. If it was replaced some time
ago then there's something else going on that makes it think the sensor
isn't working right. But off the top of my head the ones I can think of
would be various sorts of catastropic failures like a broken cam shaft.

Old November 2nd 14, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2014-10-31, m6onz5a > wrote:

>>> If MIL on = automatic fail then there was a screw up.

>> I just put a code reader on it. It came up with two codes.
>>
>> PO017 - Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1 (was replaced)
>> PO300 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

> The second was probably caused by the first. Just clear them and see if
> it comes back since the part was replaced otherwise the MIL will stay on
> until an entire drive cycle is completed. If it was replaced some time
> ago then there's something else going on that makes it think the sensor
> isn't working right. But off the top of my head the ones I can think of
> would be various sorts of catastropic failures like a broken cam shaft.

Don't recall off hand, did that sensor replacement also include a relearn??

--
Steve W.