What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bunghole threaded neck problem

Old September 12th 14, 09:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Default What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bunghole threaded neck problem

Today, I drive down to Costco, to fill my trunk with 50 gallons of gas:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3892/1...7df1c083_b.jpg

When, lo and behold, I smell strong gas fumes while driving.
So, I pull over, and open the trunk, and what do I see?

Yet another plastic spout cap broke along the perimeter:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5559/1...47f6daf7_b.jpg

So, I stop by Lowes to pick up a replacement 5-gallon portable storage can:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5557/1...91f0eeca_b.jpg

Resigning myself to transferring the gas from the old can to the new
can, lo and behold, I find that the new cap seemingly fits the old
threaded neck, yet, the converse isn't true.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3882/1...71ae219f_b.jpg

The old spout doesn't seem to fit the new can's threaded neck. Huh?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3868/1...2b1332bd_b.jpg

I ask: How can it be that the new spout fits the old can, but that
the old spout doesn't fit the new can?
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3894/1...38b485eb_b.jpg

One reason it matters is that I have more than a few of these
one or two year old gas cans where all the spouts break the same!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3924/1...4ce3cb93_b.jpg
Old September 12th 14, 10:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Danny D. wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:58:00 +0000:

> One reason it matters is that I have more than a few of these
> one or two year old gas cans where all the spouts break the same!
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3924/1...4ce3cb93_b.jpg

BTW, if anyone knows where I can get *just* the cap, instead
of having the replace the entire year or two old 5-gallon gas
can every time one of these caps breaks, that would be helfpul:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3894/1...38b485eb_b.jpg

I never use the spout, as I siphon the gasoline out, so, I have
no need for anything other than a one-piece cap, if I could find it.

Old September 12th 14, 01:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

http://ezpourspout.com/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old September 12th 14, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/12/2014 4:02 AM, Danny D. wrote:
>> Danny D. wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:58:00 +0000:
>>
>>> One reason it matters is that I have more than a few of these
>>> one or two year old gas cans where all the spouts break the same!
>>> https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3924/1...4ce3cb93_b.jpg

>> BTW, if anyone knows where I can get *just* the cap, instead
>> of having the replace the entire year or two old 5-gallon gas
>> can every time one of these caps breaks, that would be helfpul:
>>
>> https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3894/1...38b485eb_b.jpg
>>
>> I never use the spout, as I siphon the gasoline out, so, I have
>> no need for anything other than a one-piece cap, if I could find it.
>>

> http://ezpourspout.com/

YUP. You can buy them at many stores. In some states they are sold as
"water container only" items (NY being one) BUT the only difference
between the "water" spout and the "gas/kero" spouts is color...

Tractor Supply sells them and I have about 6 hanging in the shop. Just
in case they are suddenly shut down.

--
Steve W.
Old September 12th 14, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

AMuzi wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 07:59:42 -0500:

> http://ezpourspout.com/

I apologize for not making my key point clear.

To my knowledge, NOBODY sells just the bung cap, at least,
not for the purpose of sealing a portable gasoline container.

The advantage of a bung cap (for lack of a better name), is
that it would seal as well as the god-awful contraptions you
pointed to, but it would be nice and simple and not break
like this all the time:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5559/1...47f6daf7_b.jpg

Someone suggested we kluge together a cap from separate
components, but, really, there's no reason the cap shouldn't
simply be a single molded piece of plastic, with maybe only
one second part, which would be the rubber gasket.

I'm looking for a cap ... sort of like this:
http://www.oatey.com/img/sku/093432.jpg

Only the best will be able to find it on the net because
the *threads* for a gas can are ... um ... what?
Old September 12th 14, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Steve W. wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:40:09 -0400:

> YUP. You can buy them at many stores. In some states they are sold as
> "water container only" items (NY being one) BUT the only difference
> between the "water" spout and the "gas/kero" spouts is color...
>
> Tractor Supply sells them and I have about 6 hanging in the shop. Just
> in case they are suddenly shut down.

If you can buy a cap like this at many stores, why can't I find one?
http://www.oatey.com/img/sku/093432.jpg
Old September 12th 14, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2014 1:10 PM, Danny D. wrote:
> Steve W. wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:40:09 -0400:
>
>> YUP. You can buy them at many stores. In some states they are sold as
>> "water container only" items (NY being one) BUT the only difference
>> between the "water" spout and the "gas/kero" spouts is color...
>>
>> Tractor Supply sells them and I have about 6 hanging in the shop. Just
>> in case they are suddenly shut down.

> If you can buy a cap like this at many stores, why can't I find one?
> http://www.oatey.com/img/sku/093432.jpg

On the page I linked earlier:

http://ezpourspout.com/ez-pour-produ...ase-cap-black/

comes in colors too!

Old September 12th 14, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:10:11 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>Only the best will be able to find it on the net because
>the *threads* for a gas can are ... um ... what?

Threads are either fine or course. There were many molds made for
various manufacturers. Good luck.
Old September 12th 14, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Danny D.:
>To my knowledge, NOBODY sells just the bung cap, at least,
>not for the purpose of sealing a portable gasoline container.

aMuzi had my hopes up with
http://ezpourspout.com/ez-pour-produ...ase-cap-black/, but
the description seems to say it won't fit most cans:
"Black cap is fine thread and typically fits older Briggs and Stratton,
Rubbermaid, essence, and Gott cans."

i.e. there's nothing even remotely "fine" about the thread on my
jammed-up Scepter can.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old September 12th 14, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 09/12/14 02:41 pm, AMuzi wrote:

>>> YUP. You can buy them at many stores. In some states they are sold as
>>> "water container only" items (NY being one) BUT the only difference
>>> between the "water" spout and the "gas/kero" spouts is color...
>>>
>>> Tractor Supply sells them and I have about 6 hanging in the shop. Just
>>> in case they are suddenly shut down.

>> If you can buy a cap like this at many stores, why can't I find one?
>> http://www.oatey.com/img/sku/093432.jpg
>>

> On the page I linked earlier:
>
> http://ezpourspout.com/ez-pour-produ...ase-cap-black/
>
> comes in colors too!

I have one of these

> http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=17070506

that I bought at Lowe's for less money, but they don't seem to sell them
now. Works fine. If the tip is in the mouth of the gas tank -- as it has
to be if the black plastic thingy is to rest on the edge of the opening
to keep the spout open -- how do you manage to spill the gas?

new != bad

Perce