burning oil...?

Old February 20th 14, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default burning oil...?

I drive a 96 Saturn sc2. 2 door voup. Black.
I recently changed out the radiator, water pump, belt and plugs/wires and I noticed the other day that I'm putting oil in it. Betweek oil changes and this leads me to be almost certain that I am in fact burning oil. I've got about 130,000 miles on it and I will most likely keep this car forever. I love it. I don't want to have to do any serious/ week long tinkering.. but what can I do (other than soak it in some wonder fluid and change out the valve cover gasket) to ease up the oil consumption?
Any suggestions?
Old February 20th 14, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

My bad 2 door coup* and putting oil between oil changes*
Old February 25th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

I assume that it is not leaking anywhere?
Possibilities are something in the PCV system where oil is getting sucked
back into the intake, worn valve stem seals where the oil gets into the
intake or bad oil control piston rings.

Try a good motor flush in the oil for a few oil changes and see what
happens. With any luck, there is some crud around the piston rings and oil
control ring that is preventing them from seating properly.

If you have alternate transportation, pulling the engine and having it
rebuilt may be an option. I've done that in the past. Dropping off the block
(after stripping it down to the basics myself) at a rebuilder was $1500. Far
less than a rebuilt exchange engine.

Burning Oil Elle[_4_] Honda 42 September 16th 09 04:28 AM
Burning smell Captain Coleman Ford Explorer 4 September 28th 06 03:39 AM
93 SL-1 oil burning help Chris Saturn 1 March 11th 05 03:23 PM
99 M3 burning oil? Kanwar Dhaliwal BMW 2 January 6th 05 09:25 PM
Burning oil smell cp Audi 14 June 1st 04 02:51 PM