New pads with new caliper?

Old August 10th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael Wilson

Default New pads with new caliper?

I'm putting on a new caliper on a 2003 Ford F150. The current brake pads have about 30 percent on them and will need new rotors in the not too distant future. Should I go ahead and put new brake pads in the caliper? Or just put the old ones back in? Thanks.
Old August 10th 14, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:02:22 -0700 (PDT), Michael Wilson
> wrote:

>I'm putting on a new caliper on a 2003 Ford F150. The current brake pads have about 30 percent on them and will need new rotors in the not too distant future. Should I go ahead and put new brake pads in the caliper? Or just put the old ones back in? Thanks.

Depends on when you expect to replace the rotors. If the pads will
last until then, wait until then.
Old August 10th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Michael Wilson wrote:
> I'm putting on a new caliper on a 2003 Ford F150. The current brake pads have about 30 percent on them and will need new rotors in the not too distant future. Should I go ahead and put new brake pads in the caliper? Or just put the old ones back in? Thanks.

Doesn't really matter as long as R and L sides of vehicle are the same.
Old August 10th 14, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-08-10, Michael Wilson > wrote:
> I'm putting on a new caliper on a 2003 Ford F150. The current brake pads have about 30 percent on them and will need new rotors in the not too distant future. Should I go ahead and put new brake pads in the caliper? Or just put the old ones back in? Thanks.

If you're willing to take it apart all over again later to replace
rotors and pads, then do the rotor and pads then. The caliper doesn't
care if the pads are old or new, just should try to keep both sides
even.

Old August 10th 14, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 8/9/2014 3:02 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
> I'm putting on a new caliper on a 2003 Ford F150. The current brake pads have about 30 percent on them and will need new rotors in the not too distant future. Should I go ahead and put new brake pads in the caliper? Or just put the old ones back in? Thanks.

I'd change it. I hate doing a job a second time! OTOH, I'd have to
change the front pads on my dad's Cutlass Ciera once a year. I'm glad he
doesn't have that car. Very substandard brakes!

sticking caliper? Zephyr Honda 16 October 24th 09 12:54 AM
Which Caliper? dprkk Chrysler 0 June 4th 07 12:09 PM
Brake pads not fitting in caliper? Old Wolf Technology 3 March 5th 06 04:22 PM
'95 Lebarron; Do I need to remove the caliper to change the brake pads. mm Chrysler 3 February 17th 06 02:39 AM
99 front brake pads replaced, question on old pads Mikepier Ford Explorer 0 February 4th 05 08:07 PM