Replacing battery in an '04 Explorer

Old December 11th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sid

Default Replacing battery in an '04 Explorer

If I replace the battery in an '04 Explorer, I am fairly sure I will
have to re-program the radio, but will I also have to re-set the
keyless entry security codes as well ?

Thanks
Old December 11th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

sid wrote:
> If I replace the battery in an '04 Explorer, I am fairly sure I will
> have to re-program the radio, but will I also have to re-set the
> keyless entry security codes as well ?
>
> Thanks

Go buy a memory saver that plugs into the cigar lighter and you won't
have to worry about it. It's a 9 volt battery connected to a cigar
lighter plug. Holds the memory while you swap the battery.
I have one that I made out of a plug and a special 12 volt photo battery.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old December 12th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Steve W. wrote:
> sid wrote:
>> If I replace the battery in an '04 Explorer, I am fairly sure I will
>> have to re-program the radio, but will I also have to re-set the
>> keyless entry security codes as well ?
>>
>> Thanks

> Go buy a memory saver that plugs into the cigar lighter and you won't
> have to worry about it. It's a 9 volt battery connected to a cigar
> lighter plug. Holds the memory while you swap the battery.
> I have one that I made out of a plug and a special 12 volt photo battery.

I wonder why car radios don't use nvram for stations settings?
Old December 16th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sid

On Dec 12, 9:31*am, Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
> > sid wrote:
> >> If I replace the battery in an '04 Explorer, I am fairly sure I will
> >> have to re-program the radio, but will I also have to re-set the
> >> keyless entry security codes as well ?

> >> Thanks

> > Go buy a memory saver that plugs into the cigar lighter and you won't
> > have to worry about it. It's a 9 volt battery connected to a cigar
> > lighter plug. Holds the memory while you swap the battery.
> > I have one that I made out of a plug and a special 12 volt photo battery.

> I wonder why car radios don't use nvram for stations settings?

Went ahead and swapped the battery w/o a memory saver of any type.
Found one at the local Auto store, but they wanted $20 for a unit that
accepted a 9v as well as leads for another batter. Didn't do it, not
for one swap every 4 yrs.

Did not loose the security settings, did loose the radio stations,
clock and the trip-odometer.

Thanks