2000 Civic P0135 heated HO2S

Old May 18th 05, 10:27 PM
someone

Default 2000 Civic P0135 heated HO2S

My stock `00 Civic needs a O2 sensor, is a special tool needed (question
two, should I replace both O2 sensors (matched set?) even though only
one of um is bad) ?
--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

spam the Federal Trade Commission thats
Old May 18th 05, 11:22 PM
TeGGeR®

someone > wrote in
:

> My stock `00 Civic needs a O2 sensor, is a special tool needed

Not to remove, but to replace. You need a special socket (about $5) that
has a slot down the side for the wires. To remove you just cut the wires of
the old one and use a normal deep socket, unless you plan on keeping it...

Go to your local auto parts store and look for an Oxygen Sensor Socket. The
size is 7/8", like a large-sized spark plug.

> (question
> two, should I replace both O2 sensors (matched set?) even though only
> one of um is bad) ?

No need to replace now. When the downstream is bad, you'll get another MIL
illumnation. The two sensors are used for different purposes and do not
depend on each other.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 19th 05, 01:15 AM
SoCalMike

someone wrote:
> My stock `00 Civic needs a O2 sensor, is a special tool needed (question

not necessarily. when my upper one in the manifold took a dump, i knew
it was bad. if it hadnt come off normally, i woulda snipped the wire and
put a 1/2" drive socket on it. to reinstall, a regular open end wrench
was all that was needed.

if the area is too tight to wrench, then id go with an O2 sensor socket
to install.

> two, should I replace both O2 sensors (matched set?) even though only
> one of um is bad) ?

hell no. i did change the bad one same day, because i didnt want an
overly rich default mixture ruining the catalyst and/or the secondary O2
sensor.
Old May 19th 05, 01:56 AM
someone

Thanks, I looked at (and bookmarked) the FAQ at
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ - one thing I didn't see mentioned but
am curious about, OEM or after market O2 sensor ? My local auto parts
store (Autozone) gets $ 72. for a generic, $ 85. for "OEM", Honda dealer
wants $ 190.00 and thats for the part only.

Old May 19th 05, 02:01 AM
someone

> i did change the bad one same day, because i didnt want an

I'm driving around with the idiot light on, error is heater
element failure (or something like that) so should be okay ?

Old May 19th 05, 07:15 AM
SoCalMike

someone wrote:

>> i did change the bad one same day, because i didnt want an

> I'm driving around with the idiot light on, error is heater
> element failure (or something like that) so should be okay ?

thats what mine was too. i was able to reset it a few times, but it got
worse and worse. good for a week, then 2 days, then a day, then on all
the time. thats when it started stalling at idle.

no one had a proper OEM sensor in stock, and i didnt want to
cut/crimp/solder wires to get a generic bosch to fit, so i bit the
bullet and shelled out bout $220 for an OEM one from the local dealer.
coulda got it cheaper online, but i really didnt want to wait. its been
the only non scheduled maintenance in 7 years, so im still happy with
the car.
Old May 19th 05, 07:17 AM
SoCalMike

someone wrote:
> Thanks, I looked at (and bookmarked) the FAQ at
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ - one thing I didn't see mentioned but
> am curious about, OEM or after market O2 sensor ? My local auto parts
> store (Autozone) gets $ 72. for a generic, $ 85. for "OEM", Honda dealer
> wants $ 190.00 and thats for the part only.

whatta deal! mine was like $220, but i think that included 8.25% tax. id
look online to slhonda.com, manhonda.com, or another online alternative
if you want the real deal at a fair price.