It's all the snow's fault! Blame the SNOW!!

Old November 20th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John B.

Default It's all the snow's fault! Blame the SNOW!!

We got the first measurable snow today in northern New England and, as
usual, many people completely forget how to drive in the funky white stuff.
I mean, come on now --- it's only been around seven months since we had to
deal with it last. Anyway, getting ****ed off at the media, as I often do,
because Channel 9's headline at noon was "Snow blamed for several accidents
in the region". No! Wrong! Buzzer sound, please!! It should be "LOUSY
DRIVERS blamed for accidents driving on snow-covered roadways". Get it
RIGHT!!! Sheesh!

One of my neighbors easily falls into that category. Walking past her
parked car after the snow had let up, I noticed a bit of front end damage on
her fairly new Hyundai sedan. A bit of the "grille" was pushed in which
sort of buckled the left side of the hood. I've seen her drive and she
can't. But judging by the damage of the Korean P.O.S., I wouldn't imagine
she was going over 10 mph. Doesn't take much.

While on the subject, do you notice that you rarely ever see driving
students on the road during a snowstorm? "Driver's Ed cancelled today due
to storm." Uhm, excuse me? Isn't that the best time to TEACH them how to
drive in the snow? And before hitting the roads, let them loose in a large,
empty snow-covered parking lot. Eh, but why do they need that? Let them
learn when they're out on the snowy roads with the REST of us - yeah!

John B.

Old November 20th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, John B. wrote:
> We got the first measurable snow today in northern New England and, as
> usual, many people completely forget how to drive in the funky white stuff.
> I mean, come on now --- it's only been around seven months since we had to
> deal with it last. Anyway, getting ****ed off at the media, as I often do,
> because Channel 9's headline at noon was "Snow blamed for several accidents
> in the region". No! Wrong! Buzzer sound, please!! It should be "LOUSY
> DRIVERS blamed for accidents driving on snow-covered roadways". Get it
> RIGHT!!! Sheesh!

My own snow driving abilities are becoming less because I simply now
refuse to drive in the snow unless I absolutely must. Why? Not because of
the snow, but because of the fear someone will slam into my car and the
horrible backups the idiot drivers cause. Oh, and then there is the
frustration caused by these asshats that don't understand momentum while
driving in snow and insist that stopping (and doing it frequently) is a good
thing... idiots.

If the roads are empty and I've got good tires, I enjoy driving in the
snow.

Old November 20th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John B.

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, John B. wrote:
> My own snow driving abilities are becoming less because I simply now
> refuse to drive in the snow unless I absolutely must. Why? Not because of
> the snow, but because of the fear someone will slam into my car and the
> horrible backups the idiot drivers cause. Oh, and then there is the
> frustration caused by these asshats that don't understand momentum while
> driving in snow and insist that stopping (and doing it frequently) is a

good
> thing... idiots.
>
> If the roads are empty and I've got good tires, I enjoy driving in the
> snow.

Ditto here worrying more about the other drivers than the actual snow
itself. And yes, best fun time to drive in the snow is after a minor
snowstorm at about 1 or 2 in the morning. Yee-ha! Worst time to drive in
the snow is DURING a MAJOR snowstorm at about 1 or 2 in the morning.

John B.

Old November 20th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Nov 20, 3:07 pm, "John B." > wrote:
> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > In article >, John B. wrote:
> > My own snow driving abilities are becoming less because I simply now
> > refuse to drive in the snow unless I absolutely must. Why? Not because of
> > the snow, but because of the fear someone will slam into my car and the
> > horrible backups the idiot drivers cause. Oh, and then there is the
> > frustration caused by these asshats that don't understand momentum while
> > driving in snow and insist that stopping (and doing it frequently) is a

> good
> > thing... idiots.

> > If the roads are empty and I've got good tires, I enjoy driving in the
> > snow.

> Ditto here worrying more about the other drivers than the actual snow
> itself. And yes, best fun time to drive in the snow is after a minor
> snowstorm at about 1 or 2 in the morning. Yee-ha! Worst time to drive in
> the snow is DURING a MAJOR snowstorm at about 1 or 2 in the morning.
>
> John B.

Around here, after everyone scurries home, the roads are mostly
deserted after a snowfall. So if the snow has been on the ground for
more than a couple hours you can generally make better time than you
could under ideal conditions. I love snow!

nate

(gotta get the snow tires on the Fabulous BeaterPorsche soon... we're
a little ways behind you weather-wise, but I'll probably need them in
a month or so.)
Old November 21st 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

N8N wrote:

> (gotta get the snow tires on the Fabulous BeaterPorsche soon... we're
> a little ways behind you weather-wise, but I'll probably need them in
> a month or so.)

With the way the weather is, it'll probably we a while before I switch
over to snow tires. It was 70 degrees today (perfect for riding)
Old November 21st 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On Nov 20, 6:06 pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > (gotta get the snow tires on the Fabulous BeaterPorsche soon... we're
> > a little ways behind you weather-wise, but I'll probably need them in
> > a month or so.)

> With the way the weather is, it'll probably we a while before I switch
> over to snow tires. It was 70 degrees today (perfect for riding)

Depending on your location, expect the unexpected. In KC we had 73
today. The temp dropped 40 degrees in about an hour, and we're
looking at a chance for snow tomorrow. Accumulation is doubtful due
to warm ground. Not that I'm worried, I have 4WD available and plenty
of ground clearance (in a Jeep). I worry more about the other drivers
whose skills are bad enough in good conditions and even worse in
snow. Most of the time in the winter we've been more likely to get
ice than snow.
Old November 21st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

MLOM wrote:
> On Nov 20, 6:06 pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>> With the way the weather is, it'll probably we a while before I switch
>> over to snow tires. It was 70 degrees today (perfect for riding)

> Depending on your location, expect the unexpected. In KC we had 73
> today. The temp dropped 40 degrees in about an hour, and we're
> looking at a chance for snow tomorrow.

Looks like the cold front won't be here (WV/VA location) for another two
days. High will be close to 70 tomorrow and 60 on Thursday (though we
have a 60% chance of showers on Thursday). Then the temperature will drop.

I'll just ride as much as I can tomorrow and enjoy the warm weather
while it lasts
Old November 21st 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Nov 20, 11:49 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, John B. wrote:
> > We got the first measurable snow today in northern New England and, as
> > usual, many people completely forget how to drive in the funky white stuff.
> > I mean, come on now --- it's only been around seven months since we had to
> > deal with it last. Anyway, getting ****ed off at the media, as I often do,
> > because Channel 9's headline at noon was "Snow blamed for several accidents
> > in the region". No! Wrong! Buzzer sound, please!! It should be "LOUSY
> > DRIVERS blamed for accidents driving on snow-covered roadways". Get it
> > RIGHT!!! Sheesh!

> My own snow driving abilities are becoming less because I simply now
> refuse to drive in the snow unless I absolutely must. Why? Not because of
> the snow, but because of the fear someone will slam into my car and the
> horrible backups the idiot drivers cause. Oh, and then there is the
> frustration caused by these asshats that don't understand momentum while
> driving in snow and insist that stopping (and doing it frequently) is a good
> thing... idiots.
>
> If the roads are empty and I've got good tires, I enjoy driving in the
> snow.

Also ditto. What amazes me is that they do not even _begin_ to grasp
the concept of "slow down" but even worse they ignore the 'increase
following distance'. I am used to being tail-gated in good
conditions. It really makes me nervouse in bad conditions as it
eliminates a whole lot of safety/maneuvering options.

Worse one was going up-canyon during a snow storm. About 4" on the
ground with just the two tire tracks. Fine while in them but get out
and it got dicey. Guy right on my ass up until I lost it a bit and
did some fishtailing. He dropped back (wonder of wonders) but as soon
as I was straightened out again, right back on my ass again.

Harry K
Old November 21st 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Harry K wrote:

> Worse one was going up-canyon during a snow storm. About 4" on the
> ground with just the two tire tracks. Fine while in them but get out
> and it got dicey. Guy right on my ass up until I lost it a bit and
> did some fishtailing. He dropped back (wonder of wonders) but as soon
> as I was straightened out again, right back on my ass again.

When the torqueless wonder car was knocked out I got caught with summer
tires on the mustang. I was doing ok on I294 until I got near my exit and
had to enter the unplowed right lane. I enter the lane and the tail
starts to wag. I had a few oscillations while getting it under control
but this is when an asshat decides to pass me with a few inches of
spacing.... I've also had the tailgaters.

Once it slow traffic I just punched (I am lacking a better word here,
maybe throttle blip is better) it so the rear tires would fling snow
on to his windshield as I started moving. Worked perfectly... a couple good
sized clumps of snow and slush hit his windshield. He stopped
tailgating. I have never had the perfect conditions to pull that off
again. Everything sort of just game together with the type of snow, the
right sort of stop and go, and the space and road where the car could
wiggle a bit safely.

Old November 21st 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On Nov 20, 9:35 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, Harry K wrote:
> > Worse one was going up-canyon during a snow storm. About 4" on the
> > ground with just the two tire tracks. Fine while in them but get out
> > and it got dicey. Guy right on my ass up until I lost it a bit and
> > did some fishtailing. He dropped back (wonder of wonders) but as soon
> > as I was straightened out again, right back on my ass again.

> When the torqueless wonder car was knocked out I got caught with summer
> tires on the mustang. I was doing ok on I294 until I got near my exit and
> had to enter the unplowed right lane. I enter the lane and the tail
> starts to wag. I had a few oscillations while getting it under control
> but this is when an asshat decides to pass me with a few inches of
> spacing.... I've also had the tailgaters.
>
> Once it slow traffic I just punched (I am lacking a better word here,
> maybe throttle blip is better) it so the rear tires would fling snow
> on to his windshield as I started moving. Worked perfectly... a couple good
> sized clumps of snow and slush hit his windshield. He stopped
> tailgating. I have never had the perfect conditions to pull that off
> again. Everything sort of just game together with the type of snow, the
> right sort of stop and go, and the space and road where the car could
> wiggle a bit safely.

Priceless. We're not worthy!

"I love it when a plan comes together." -- Col. Hannibal Smith (The A-
Team)

Blame the dead guy.... MLOM Driving 0 November 13th 06 04:59 PM
Why is the blame not being placed where it belongs? N8N Driving 42 June 22nd 06 01:22 AM
blame this one on crackwhore KATE [email protected] Corvette 1 June 14th 05 05:57 AM
C5 Tip of the Day (Don't blame CL) aRKay Corvette 0 March 21st 05 10:05 PM
Blame OPEC! Blame the environuts Dusty General 4 April 20th 04 03:13 AM