Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

Old May 22nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
KC

Default Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

> **** safety, Drive right and you won't need it. Safety is just a
> protection scheme invented by the American car companies to keep out the
> competition. They WILL NOT make fuel efficient vehicles. Hybrids should
> get over 100mpg by rights. Americans don't make a single car that gets
> 50mpg. Europe makes several, every car company makes 2 or 3 that get 50
> to 80mpg. Diesel hybrids get 120 to 150mpg. The US will avoid these.
> Give me a choice, my motorcycle don't have air bags, seat belts or crash
> test and works just fine. I want a car WITHOUT seat belts and air bags.
> I want to choose my safety devices, I don't want you to. We don't need
> forced communist compliance at all.

You can "drive right" as much as you like, but it won't necessarily
save you from the dope who isn't.

Old May 22nd 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Broderick Crawford wrote:
> Michael Pardee wrote:
>
>>"Broderick Crawford" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Don't worry, the US will ban it. They do not want to sell less oil.
>>>

>>What on earth makes you think that? Zero consumption vehicles, like
>>bicycles, are popular and encouraged in the US. I have owned several myself
>>over nearly half a century and have never encountered a "not enough oil"
>>goon squad.
>>
>>The consumption would not be an issue, but crash-worthiness and emissions
>>are showstoppers. ZEV and P-ZEV vehicles are in great demand by regulators,
>>especially in California, but AFAIK diesels are still not available in
>>passenger cars there because of the emissions. The safety info in the
>>referenced article is not encouraging either; side impact standards
>>(mandatory in the US) appear to be lacking: "as safe as a GT sports car
>>registered for racing". That's damning with faint praise; if they could say
>>it met US safety standards they certainly would have said so. Fuel economy
>>really doesn't matter to grieving families.
>>
>>Mike
>>

> **** safety, Drive right and you won't need it. Safety is just a
> protection scheme invented by the American car companies to keep out the
> competition. They WILL NOT make fuel efficient vehicles. Hybrids should
> get over 100mpg by rights. Americans don't make a single car that gets
> 50mpg. Europe makes several, every car company makes 2 or 3 that get 50
> to 80mpg. Diesel hybrids get 120 to 150mpg. The US will avoid these.
> Give me a choice, my motorcycle don't have air bags, seat belts or crash
> test and works just fine. I want a car WITHOUT seat belts and air bags.
> I want to choose my safety devices, I don't want you to. We don't need
> forced communist compliance at all.

I tend to agree as all the regulation that currently exists has totally
got out of hand.

Life has risks. It's that simple.

When one looks at the weight of today's cars, one common fact comes out;
Weight gain is due mostly to safety considerations.

My old '83 Honda Civic FE gets over 40 mpg in mixed driving, has
functioning brakes, seat belts, horn, wipers and lights. That's all the
"safety" related equipment that's really needed.

The BIG problem is the NUT behind the wheel. Hard to fix that...

JT

Old May 22nd 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Broderick Crawford > wrote:
>

>>Give me a choice, my motorcycle don't have air bags, seat belts or crash
>>test and works just fine. I want a car WITHOUT seat belts and air bags.
>>I want to choose my safety devices, I don't want you to.

> hehe Yeah, but when you're sitting there with a broken neck, breathing
> and eating through a tube, you'll want the Nanny State to take care of
> you at no cost--which means taxpayers like me funding the rest of your
> miserable life.
>
> **** you.

In this case, the need is to get rid of the nanny guv'ment. Sometimes,
I wish we could turn the clock back to 1970 with regard to what guv'ment
spends money on...

JT

(Abused Taxpayer)
Old May 22nd 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Eeyore wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
>

>>need another example? firestone vs. frod on the exploder rollover
>>fiasco. frod won that one, miraculously.

> I thought it was Ford's idea to run the tyres with an absurdly low presure? How
> can Firestone be liable for a design defect by the car maker ?
>
> Graham

It was and it just made the problem worse by hastening the failure of
tires while not fixing the real culprit, vehicle design.

Better ideas from Ford??? Not likely...

JT

Old May 22nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eric Gisin

"Eeyore" > wrote in message

>> I know of many older vehicles where the manual transmissions have not been
>> serviced during the lifetime of the vehicle. Has this been changed for
>> modern day manual transmissions?

> I've *never* seen a maintenance requirement for a manual transmission.

Check the seals for leaks, change oil every 10 years.

Old May 22nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
jp2express

Tomato -vs- (whatever you Brits use)

Old May 22nd 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Art[_1_]

Here is the proper link:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/gw/vw1litre.htm

ps.com...

Old May 22nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
EdV

A/T are more expensive right at the point you purchase the car.

Manual transmissions need some gear oil as well but not as particular
as an automatic

Old May 22nd 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
EdV

which european car goes 150 mpg? i can't find it in google and
intrested to know more.
is diesel banned in the US or just discouraged due to emissions and
taxes? and you can't buy any in the market

Old May 22nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

Eeyore > wrote in
:

> I've *never* seen a maintenance requirement for a manual transmission.

Fluid must be replaced at regular intervals. This will be specified in the
maintenance table for your car.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ