Follow-up: Code 43 on 90 A. EX finally cleared!

Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
Slipnfall

Default Follow-up: Code 43 on 90 A. EX finally cleared!

Hello,
I posted a few weeks back about trying to rid of a code 43 on the
above Accord. Since it occured I(for one reason or another), installed
a good distrib(bearing going) with coil/ign, rotor, cap, wires, plugs,
fuel filter, finally an 02 sensor, and cleaned out the EGR valve
itself... Mind you I still have a re-occuring problem with leaky
'spark-plug-well' gaskets.

Nothing helped, as soon as I would get my engine nice and warm, it
would loose power, surge when I compensated, and finally fell into
'limp' mode. Code 43. I ended up re-wiring my 02 sensor(a universal)
because I suspected oil in the shotty splice connector I got. When
reading the voltage in the engine bay, it would not start out at
100-200mV then rise to 0.5V(those were top of my head, don't 'hold
me). Rather the voltage would jump all over the place(not a float,
mind you).

Anyways, somewhere along the line someone suggested the EGR ports
themselves. I dug through some old messages here and didn't think it
would be too bad(really wasn't). BTW, save yourself from buying an
expensive slide hammer if you don't need it! A cheapie dent puller
only cost me $5 at Surplus City.

I called ahead to honda for the plugs. The fill-in for the service
counter had a fun time finding them. I noticed the replacements plugs
were a little different, but worked just as well.

To get to the holes, I had to remove the FPR from the service end
of the fuel rail. I also removed the two emission valves directly
above.

Then just drilled a hole in each(not all the way through), threaded
the screw in, and popped them out. Only one of the six gave me
trouble: my screw broke off in it- no biggie, just drilled another
another.

All in all, $15 parts, ~3hrs(took my time). Car runs great. I cleaned
the throttle body(usually keep it pretty clean) and the response is
instant and once again somewhat exillerating. Sad, I know... but I
give omens to this 185k mule.

Thanks for everyone's help/.rec contributions

-Jamie