Price fixing among tire manufacturers

Old January 15th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Price fixing among tire manufacturers

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

<snip>

> If they were to decide they had a point to make to the west, they
> could, with present reserves, stop selling ANYTHING to the west for
> long enough to bring the west to their knees, while continuing to pay
> all idled chinese workers the same as they are being paid today, and
> still have money left over.( Hint - it wouldn't take long)

Even easier, stop buying US Treasuries, putting the US into deep yogurt
indeed. As of Oct, 2007, the Chinese held $388 billion in US Treasuries,
about 17% of the outstanding bonds, notes & bills. The Japanese held
$592 billion, about 25%.
Old January 15th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>> My Name Is Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure with your attitudes, the blatant thievery going on in Russia's
>>> newly privatized energies industries is perfectly acceptable to you
>>> too... Sheesh...

>> That's quite a jump of logic. What do you base that on? Are we talking
>> Russian mafia (also called "thieves in the law" when translated into
>> English)? Why do you equate stealing with business profit?
>>
>>> Where do the many billions of dollars in US tax payer provided OIL
>>> industry subsidies fit into your accounting scheme?

>> What "scheme" are you talking about!?

> Your big oil is not ripping the American public of "scheme".
> Did you follow the Enron market manipulation insanity? That was a so called
> "price controlled" utilities market.

What are you talking about here? The CFTC (Commodities Futures Trading
Commission) is charged with providing oversight on markets where Enron
and other "energy trading" companies traded their contracts. However, in
1993 Ken Lay suggested to the Chair of the CFTC, Wendy Gramm, that he
thought they didn't need any oversight. Ms Gramm agreed and pushed thru
an exemption for Enron and its trading partners, so those trades had no
oversight at all. Shortly after this Ms Gramm resigned from the CFTC and
took a seat on Enron's board. Ms Gramm is (or was) married to former
Senator Phil Gramm, R.TX, who was a heavy hitter in those days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...2/enron/31.stm
Old January 15th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Bill Putney wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Bill Putney wrote:
>>>
>>> Well - once again, someone who wants to kick dust up about the oil
>>> company profits disappear when you ask them to talk *PERCENTAGES* (or
>>> margin) instead of raw dollars. I'm no fan of the oil companies
>>> either, but regardless of the subject or what "side" you're on, at
>>> least be honest.

>> Note to Mr Putney: some of us have other things to do than to spend
>> all day arguing BS in Usenet.

> So that's how you "win" the argument? Pretty lame.

You're admitting I won the argument? Thanks.
Old January 15th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Bill Putney wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Bill Putney wrote:

>>> Two answers to that:
>>> (1) Ask Mr. Harding what "profits" he was talking about - ask him to
>>> provide percentage profits in the context he was talking in. (you
>>> snipped his original comment).
>>> (2) Ask all the people that keep talking about "record profits" to
>>> define what they mean by that (they won't because they are just
>>> repeating whatever they are told on the blogs about that and have no
>>> concept of running a business or whay you talk in terms of
>>> percentnage and not dollars to have any relative meaning).

>> You must work for the API or AEI or some other rightwingnut organization.

> And if the answer to that is 'no' (and it indeed is 'no', maybe your
> thought processes are flawed (generally if a person's conclusions based
> on assumptions they make are nowhere near accurate, it is a safe bet
> that their main premise(s) is(are) faulty).

Sorry, I'd forgotten how humorless you rightwingnuts truly are. Would
you have felt better if I'd included a smiley?

> Let's see - this is how much "connected" with the API and AEI a API =
> American Petroleum Institute - that's the logo or whatever you see for
> certification of motor oil? Did I get that right? AEI = American
> Energy Institute - that's my SWAG - I'd have to Google it to see if I
> got it right, but won't waste the time.

Setting standards is one aspect of the API (you guessed right, the
American Petroleum Institute). It's a major industry group which
represents the interests of petroleum & related companies. Here's a link
to their Media Contacts page:

http://www.api.org/Newsroom/contacts/

Setting API standards is hardly their primary function.

>> I'm not the one who described ExxonMobil's profits as "record",
>> virtually everyone has:
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...xonmobil_x.htm

> Yes - and they make the mistake that you either are or pretend to be
> blind to: Never stating the profits in percent but only in raw dollars.

Dude, take it up with the AICPA. I don't make the rules here and neither
do the news media.

<repeated horse**** snipped>
Old January 15th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Bill Putney

Tony Harding wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>> Tony Harding wrote:

>>> Note to Mr Putney: some of us have other things to do than to spend
>>> all day arguing BS in Usenet.

>> So that's how you "win" the argument? Pretty lame.

> You're admitting I won the argument? Thanks.

Yes - it's all about you. Grow up.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 15th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Bill Putney

Tony Harding wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:

>> Yes - and they make the mistake that you either are or pretend to be
>> blind to: Never stating the profits in percent but only in raw dollars.

> Dude, take it up with the AICPA. I don't make the rules here and neither
> do the news media.
>
> <repeated horse**** snipped>

CPA's don't recognize the significance of percentage profits vs. raw
dollars? You are delusional. You're still intentionally missing the
point. In your case, it appears to be more a case of dishonesty than
lack of intelligence, but probably some of both. I do find they often
go hand in hand.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')