2003 Honda CR-V EX headlight problem...help!

Old January 8th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
!yoo!

Default 2003 Honda CR-V EX headlight problem...help!

Headlight problem started about month ago with passenger side
out...closing hood would cause it to come on at first.

Replaced both headlight bulbs and passenger bulb filament was
bad...both headlights now worked.

About a week ago the drivers side went out...ck'd filament good
and swapped out bulb......no go..worked on this for hours
cleaning connectors wiring prongs in plug....no go.....

Plugged bulb in while out of socket touched ground no go....but,
after pulling on wires and plug bulb came on.

Replaced bulb in assy replaced rubber plugged in and again its
does not work.

My guesses or a broken wire bad connector somewhere...ground
etc..

Does anyone know the schematic on this vehicle where the plugs
and connectors are?

Its hard for me to believe a almost new car has a broken wire
or corrosion like you find on 20-30 year cars.

Any input on T/S or anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any help!

DT
Old January 9th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

If pulling on the wire made it come on, all you really need to do is probe
the the anchor points on the wire you pulled because the break is in the
section you moved when you pulled it. Check also that you didn't blow the
fuse when you changed the plug.

Old January 10th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
!yoo!

>If pulling on the wire made it come on, all you really need
>to do is probe the the anchor points on the wire you pulled
>because the break is in the section you moved when you
>pulled it. Check also that you didn't blow the fuse when
>you changed the plug.
>

>On 1/7/07 7:14 PM, in article
, "!yoo!" <Postit>
>wrote:
>
>> Headlight problem started about month ago with passenger
>> side out...closing hood would cause it to come on at
>> first.
>>
>> Replaced both headlight bulbs and passenger bulb filament
>> was bad...both headlights now worked.
>>
>> About a week ago the drivers side went out...ck'd filament
>> good and swapped out bulb......no go..worked on this for
>> hours cleaning connectors wiring prongs in plug....no
>> go.....
>>
>> Plugged bulb in while out of socket touched ground no
>> go....but, after pulling on wires and plug bulb came on.
>>
>> Replaced bulb in assy replaced rubber plugged in and again
>> its does not work.
>>
>> My guesses or a broken wire bad connector
>> somewhere...ground etc..
>>
>> Does anyone know the schematic on this vehicle where the
>> plugs and connectors are?
>>
>> Its hard for me to believe a almost new car has a broken
>> wire or corrosion like you find on 20-30 year cars.
>>
>> Any input on T/S or anyone had this problem?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> DT

Yeah...that makes sense but, for a new car that has not been
worked on I was thinking there was a plug loose or corroded that
cause the same condition when you pull on the wire.

Trouble is you can't see anything cause the eng compartment and
underside is closed in so I was wondering if a Honda tech or
someone with this experience could shed some light on this...

Thanks!
DT
Old January 10th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 1/9/07 10:49 PM, in article , "!yoo!"
<Postit> wrote:

>> If pulling on the wire made it come on, all you really need
>> to do is probe the the anchor points on the wire you pulled
>> because the break is in the section you moved when you
>> pulled it. Check also that you didn't blow the fuse when
>> you changed the plug.
>>

>> On 1/7/07 7:14 PM, in article
>> , "!yoo!" <Postit>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Headlight problem started about month ago with passenger
>>> side out...closing hood would cause it to come on at
>>> first.
>>>
>>> Replaced both headlight bulbs and passenger bulb filament
>>> was bad...both headlights now worked.
>>>
>>> About a week ago the drivers side went out...ck'd filament
>>> good and swapped out bulb......no go..worked on this for
>>> hours cleaning connectors wiring prongs in plug....no
>>> go.....
>>>
>>> Plugged bulb in while out of socket touched ground no
>>> go....but, after pulling on wires and plug bulb came on.
>>>
>>> Replaced bulb in assy replaced rubber plugged in and again
>>> its does not work.
>>>
>>> My guesses or a broken wire bad connector
>>> somewhere...ground etc..
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the schematic on this vehicle where the
>>> plugs and connectors are?
>>>
>>> Its hard for me to believe a almost new car has a broken
>>> wire or corrosion like you find on 20-30 year cars.
>>>
>>> Any input on T/S or anyone had this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>
>>> DT

> Yeah...that makes sense but, for a new car that has not been
> worked on I was thinking there was a plug loose or corroded that
> cause the same condition when you pull on the wire.
>
> Trouble is you can't see anything cause the eng compartment and
> underside is closed in so I was wondering if a Honda tech or
> someone with this experience could shed some light on this...
>
> Thanks!
> DT

Well, I suppose its new compared to a '93, but in reality its four years
old. Plenty of time for corrosion, flex breaks in the wires, etc. to start
happening.

After you put it all back together, does it still work if you play with the
wire? If so, then it pretty much has to be in the wiring at or near the
plug. There's no magic bullet for that, you just have to find it & fix it.

Most of the circuitry is in common with the left headlight. The unique
things are the right headlight fuse, relay, ground & of course the wiring
right at the light. So if the left headlight is still working, just look at
those things.

Does the high beam work on the right side? The same fuse & relay feed the
right side high and low beams: headlight relay 1 and fuse 17 in the under
hood fuse box (large black box immediately behind the battery - the key is
on the underside of the cover). If the high beam works, the fuse is good and
the relay is working (& of course, if the high beam is also out, check those
two things). An easy way to check the relay is to swap it with the one for
the left headlight and see if the problem moves to the other side.

The ground for the right headlight is at the common ground for everything on
the right side of the engine compartment. It is behind the right side of the
front bumper (remove the bumper to get to it). The wires end in eyelets
with a single screw binding them all to the chassis. Unless a bunch of
other stuff is also flakey, its probably not the ground.

Old January 12th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
!yoo!

>On 1/9/07 10:49 PM, in article
, "!yoo!" <Postit>
>wrote:
>
>>> If pulling on the wire made it come on, all you really
>>> need to do is probe the the anchor points on the wire you
>>> pulled because the break is in the section you moved when
>>> you pulled it. Check also that you didn't blow the fuse
>>> when you changed the plug.
>>>

>>> On 1/7/07 7:14 PM, in article
>>> , "!yoo!" <Postit>

>> Yeah...that makes sense but, for a new car that has not
>> been worked on I was thinking there was a plug loose or
>> corroded that cause the same condition when you pull on
>> the wire.
>>
>> Trouble is you can't see anything cause the eng
>> compartment and underside is closed in so I was wondering
>> if a Honda tech or someone with this experience could shed
>> some light on this...
>>
>> Thanks!
>> DT

>Well, I suppose its new compared to a '93, but in reality
>its four years old. Plenty of time for corrosion, flex
>breaks in the wires, etc. to start happening.
>
>After you put it all back together, does it still work if
>you play with the wire? If so, then it pretty much has to
>be in the wiring at or near the plug. There's no magic
>bullet for that, you just have to find it & fix it.
>
>Most of the circuitry is in common with the left headlight.
>The unique things are the right headlight fuse, relay,
>ground & of course the wiring right at the light. So if the
>left headlight is still working, just look at those things.
>
>Does the high beam work on the right side? The same fuse &
>relay feed the right side high and low beams: headlight
>relay 1 and fuse 17 in the under hood fuse box (large black
>box immediately behind the battery - the key is on the
>underside of the cover). If the high beam works, the fuse is
>good and the relay is working (& of course, if the high beam
>is also out, check those two things). An easy way to check
>the relay is to swap it with the one for the left headlight
>and see if the problem moves to the other side.
>
>The ground for the right headlight is at the common ground
>for everything on the right side of the engine compartment.
>It is behind the right side of the front bumper (remove the
>bumper to get to it). The wires end in eyelets with a
>single screw binding them all to the chassis. Unless a
>bunch of other stuff is also flakey, its probably not the
>ground.

Thanks! Are you referring to passenger side as right side?

Do you know where the ground is for the drivers side
headlight?

Thanks so much for your help!

DT
Old January 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 1/11/07 11:28 PM, in article ,
"!yoo!" <Postit> wrote:

>> On 1/9/07 10:49 PM, in article
>> , "!yoo!" <Postit>

>>> Yeah...that makes sense but, for a new car that has not
>>> been worked on I was thinking there was a plug loose or
>>> corroded that cause the same condition when you pull on
>>> the wire.
>>>
>>> Trouble is you can't see anything cause the eng
>>> compartment and underside is closed in so I was wondering
>>> if a Honda tech or someone with this experience could shed
>>> some light on this...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> DT

>> Well, I suppose its new compared to a '93, but in reality
>> its four years old. Plenty of time for corrosion, flex
>> breaks in the wires, etc. to start happening.
>>
>> After you put it all back together, does it still work if
>> you play with the wire? If so, then it pretty much has to
>> be in the wiring at or near the plug. There's no magic
>> bullet for that, you just have to find it & fix it.
>>
>> Most of the circuitry is in common with the left headlight.
>> The unique things are the right headlight fuse, relay,
>> ground & of course the wiring right at the light. So if the
>> left headlight is still working, just look at those things.
>>
>> Does the high beam work on the right side? The same fuse &
>> relay feed the right side high and low beams: headlight
>> relay 1 and fuse 17 in the under hood fuse box (large black
>> box immediately behind the battery - the key is on the
>> underside of the cover). If the high beam works, the fuse is
>> good and the relay is working (& of course, if the high beam
>> is also out, check those two things). An easy way to check
>> the relay is to swap it with the one for the left headlight
>> and see if the problem moves to the other side.
>>
>> The ground for the right headlight is at the common ground
>> for everything on the right side of the engine compartment.
>> It is behind the right side of the front bumper (remove the
>> bumper to get to it). The wires end in eyelets with a
>> single screw binding them all to the chassis. Unless a
>> bunch of other stuff is also flakey, its probably not the
>> ground.
>>

> Thanks! Are you referring to passenger side as right side?

Yes. The service manual talks about left side and right side from the
perspective of someone sitting in the car.

> Do you know where the ground is for the drivers side
> headlight?

There is a similar terminus for all the grounds on the left side behind the
left side of the bumper. The left headlight ground is in that bundle.