Okay gearheads, need some advice. (again) lol

Old July 16th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

Default Okay gearheads, need some advice. (again) lol

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message ...
JohnV@nn wrote:
> BradandBrooks wrote:
>> I have a 93 GT with pretty low mileage (about 40,000 miles).
>>
>> It's totally stock with a 5-spd and 2.73s. Oh, I do have an X-pipe, exhaust, subs, and timing bump. All the usual little things.
>>
>> Today, it got pretty warm here (and being way up in the foothills of the Rockies where the air is thin), the car was a real dog. Well, not a dog, but just not what you expect when you see the 5.0 on the side of a Mustang.
>>
>> So, I was driving by an SVT dealer and stopped in. That was my first mistake. (Grin.)
>>
>> I've decided to do one of two things. I only have money for one or the other, and I'd like your thoughts.
>>
>> First scenerio is get a 9lb supercharger from Ford. That's what I want, the Ford model, and there are no emissions testing where I live. What kind of hp and tq increases would a 9lb give me? And, more importantly, would I have to change the fuel pump and head gaskets, unlike the 6lb. This will just add to the cost, but I'm not sure how much.
>>
>> When I asked an SVT tech how many hours to do this he said, "I haven't done a 5.0 in years... why would you want to do that." Okay, so minus the prick (which also scares the crap out of me) how many hours on the 6 and 9 do you think it would take? Also, thought about this after, if I had a speed shop install it, would that void warranty? Anyone know?
>>
>> The other option is to go with some 3.73s out back and some Ford Racing "c" springs and long tubes (again, no emissions). Maybe there would be some money left over for some pulleys.
>>
>> Both routes would be good, one car would be more powerful, but the other would be more complete. But I can't do both. I do love to corner the car hard (got some really sticky and wide Yokohamas on her) and that's a blast. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just do the SC while I have the cash, and add other things later. But option #2 is pretty enticing too.
>>
>> Help me out guys. Summer is running out.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Brad

> What point in the power band do you want the power? Would you want to
> feel full boost at, say, 2000 rpm or would you want the boost to roll
> on gradually and peak out at about 5000 - 5500? If you answered 2000
> rpm then you want a twin screw-type blower like the Kenne Bell.
> Granted it is quite a bit more money but you know what they say.
>
> BTW the centrifugal blower that Ford sells is a rebadged Powerdyne
> part; I just did a quick search and found the Powerdyne 9psi unit for
> $1599 and the FRPP-badged version at $2074 (same retailer).

One thing I forgot to add was that the Powerdyne (aka Ford Motorsport
brand) units use a belt to drive the impeller which has a tendency to
break quite often. Especially on the 9 psi units since they spin
faster. It costs about $500 a pop to rebuild them so they may not be as
economical as they appear.

Also, you are right about power delivery. I personally don't want to
spin the engine to 5,000+ rpm every time I want to get some horsepower.
In third gear I can accelerate like I was shot out of a canon from
2,500 rpm to redline. With a centrifugal, in third gear, I would have
to be running near 90 mph to be in the power band or be down shifting
like a lunatic to keep the boost up. for awhile I had my Kenne Bell
blower pullied for 16 psi and right of idle I had all 16 psi available
at the slightest blip on the throttle. High rpm horsepower is OK but
big torque is what makes driving REALLY fun, IMHO.

True True True. torque is fun!!! I love torque. But I find the 325 or so my 5.0 has is lots (what is the 2006 Vette, 400?) It's the horsepower I want to build. Highway stuff. Am I not reading this right?

So then what is the hp and tq increase from a 6 or a 9lb? Any idea?

And okay, let me ask you another question... for the price of the blower, Ford offers heads, rollers, headers a few other pieces that equal the price of the blower and Ford says dynos at 305hp. So, that's about a wash... Pros, cons to this? I'd really like your guys thoughts.

Brad

Old July 16th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"Nicholas Anthony" > wrote in message ...

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> BradandBrooks wrote:
>> I have a 93 GT with pretty low mileage (about 40,000 miles).
>>
>> It's totally stock with a 5-spd and 2.73s. Oh, I do have an X-pipe,
>> exhaust, subs, and timing bump. All the usual little things.
>>
>> Today, it got pretty warm here (and being way up in the foothills of the
>> Rockies where the air is thin), the car was a real dog. Well, not a dog,
>> but just not what you expect when you see the 5.0 on the side of a
>> Mustang.
>>
>> So, I was driving by an SVT dealer and stopped in. That was my first
>> mistake. (Grin.)
>>
>> I've decided to do one of two things. I only have money for one or the
>> other, and I'd like your thoughts.
>>
>> First scenerio is get a 9lb supercharger from Ford. That's what I want,
>> the Ford model, and there are no emissions testing where I live. What
>> kind of hp and tq increases would a 9lb give me? And, more importantly,
>> would I have to change the fuel pump and head gaskets, unlike the 6lb.
>> This will just add to the cost, but I'm not sure how much.
>>
>> When I asked an SVT tech how many hours to do this he said, "I haven't
>> done a 5.0 in years... why would you want to do that." Okay, so minus
>> the prick (which also scares the crap out of me) how many hours on the 6
>> and 9 do you think it would take? Also, thought about this after, if I
>> had a speed shop install it, would that void warranty? Anyone know?
>>
>> The other option is to go with some 3.73s out back and some Ford Racing
>> "c" springs and long tubes (again, no emissions). Maybe there would be
>> some money left over for some pulleys.
>>
>> Both routes would be good, one car would be more powerful, but the other
>> would be more complete. But I can't do both. I do love to corner the car
>> hard (got some really sticky and wide Yokohamas on her) and that's a
>> blast. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just do the SC while I have the
>> cash, and add other things later. But option #2 is pretty enticing too.
>>
>> Help me out guys. Summer is running out.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Brad

> What point in the power band do you want the power? Would you want to
> feel full boost at, say, 2000 rpm or would you want the boost to roll
> on gradually and peak out at about 5000 - 5500? If you answered 2000
> rpm then you want a twin screw-type blower like the Kenne Bell.
> Granted it is quite a bit more money but you know what they say.
>
> BTW the centrifugal blower that Ford sells is a rebadged Powerdyne
> part; I just did a quick search and found the Powerdyne 9psi unit for
> $1599 and the FRPP-badged version at $2074 (same retailer).
>
> John

Yes they are Powerdynes. I purchased the 6lb kit as a small boost for my car
so I don't harm my engine and no oil line taps and its quieter then most.
You can find them around the $1500 price check Ebay. They also come with a
FMU which saves you a few hundred bucks. If you go for a larger pulley you
need a by pass valve and a larger in tank fuel pump. Ask them which head
unit you are getting with the kit. The BD11-a is the newer model so make
sure that is what you are getting. The next step up is a the XB-1A which can
handle upto 18psi and are fine at low levels but cost allot more. IMO I say
go for the Ford Powerdyne if money is an issue. Its a great entry way into
the world of s/c the belts are rated for 50k miles and you can have it
rebuilt down the road for just over $300-500 with kevlar belts and other
improvements.

As far as centrifugal vs roots blowers also keep in mind the centrifugal
(ex: Powerdyne, Procharger) will be cooler and allow a denser air flow then
the roots (ex: Whipple, Kenne Bell). Henceforth you can have the two types
of blowers producing 6psi but the centrifugal will give more power cause of
the denser air flow. Just some more food for thought.

Nick

Thanks Nick. That's a lot of info to digest. I'm just going to print out all these messages and hand them to the SVT guys. lol!

So, how much power does a 6lb Powerdyne produce? Ford says a 9lb is about 40%. That's a lot. So, is a 6 about 25%? Care to offer thoughts on the NA route instead?

Thx!

Brad

Old July 16th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> One thing I forgot to add was that the Powerdyne (aka Ford Motorsport
> brand) units use a belt to drive the impeller which has a tendency to
> break quite often. Especially on the 9 psi units since they spin
> faster. It costs about $500 a pop to rebuild them so they may not be as
> economical as they appear.
>
> Also, you are right about power delivery. I personally don't want to
> spin the engine to 5,000+ rpm every time I want to get some horsepower.
> In third gear I can accelerate like I was shot out of a canon from
> 2,500 rpm to redline. With a centrifugal, in third gear, I would have
> to be running near 90 mph to be in the power band or be down shifting
> like a lunatic to keep the boost up. for awhile I had my Kenne Bell
> blower pullied for 16 psi and right of idle I had all 16 psi available
> at the slightest blip on the throttle. High rpm horsepower is OK but
> big torque is what makes driving REALLY fun, IMHO.

Mr. Johnson,
What R&P ratio do you have in this torquey-horsey car of yours?

Old July 16th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

BradandBrooks wrote:
> John,
> Is that really true? And you can get one for $1600? I can get the FRPP for $2000. That;s the cost of a new fuel pump and the gasket. Hmmmm... very interesting.
> I would like the low end power, but really, don't you guys find that the 5.0 has enough power from idle to 3,500 rpm? I find it lacks after that. Plus then, does traction become an issue?
> I'm starting to get confused here. But that's a good thing - means I'm learning something.
> Thanks!
> Brad

do a web search on "powerdyne supercharger".

I also have a 93 GT (although with a lot more miles than yours). I
have done quite a bit of research on the issues you bring up. I would
summarize it like this: The centrifugals are best for the track (where
you're "winding out" every gear as a rule), and the twin screws like
Whipple and Kenne Bell are best for the street because, let's face it,
how often do you really hit 5500 rpm driving around town. A lot of
people say the KB on the 5.0 feels like a big block; they say it feels
more like big displacement than forced induction.

I have also researched doing a NA build up as you mentioned. Lots of
people get big power without a traditional "power adder". The question
is, what gives you the most bang for the buck. For most of us, that's
a power adder.

John

Old July 16th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

JohnV@nn wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>> One thing I forgot to add was that the Powerdyne (aka Ford Motorsport
>> brand) units use a belt to drive the impeller which has a tendency to
>> break quite often. Especially on the 9 psi units since they spin
>> faster. It costs about $500 a pop to rebuild them so they may not be as
>> economical as they appear.
>>
>> Also, you are right about power delivery. I personally don't want to
>> spin the engine to 5,000+ rpm every time I want to get some horsepower.
>> In third gear I can accelerate like I was shot out of a canon from
>> 2,500 rpm to redline. With a centrifugal, in third gear, I would have
>> to be running near 90 mph to be in the power band or be down shifting
>> like a lunatic to keep the boost up. for awhile I had my Kenne Bell
>> blower pullied for 16 psi and right of idle I had all 16 psi available
>> at the slightest blip on the throttle. High rpm horsepower is OK but
>> big torque is what makes driving REALLY fun, IMHO.

> Mr. Johnson,
> What R&P ratio do you have in this torquey-horsey car of yours?

I have 3.55s which are really too high (numerically) for the torque it
puts out. I wish I had kept the stock 3.08s or maybe went with 3.27s.
Old July 16th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

BradandBrooks wrote:

> [...]

> economical as they appear.
>
> Also, you are right about power delivery. I personally don't want to
> spin the engine to 5,000+ rpm every time I want to get some horsepower.
> In third gear I can accelerate like I was shot out of a canon from
> 2,500 rpm to redline. With a centrifugal, in third gear, I would have
> to be running near 90 mph to be in the power band or be down shifting
> like a lunatic to keep the boost up. for awhile I had my Kenne Bell
> blower pullied for 16 psi and right of idle I had all 16 psi available
> at the slightest blip on the throttle. High rpm horsepower is OK but
> big torque is what makes driving REALLY fun, IMHO.
>

> True True True. torque is fun!!! I love torque. But I find the 325
> or so my 5.0 has is lots (what is the 2006 Vette, 400?) It's the
> horsepower I want to build. Highway stuff. Am I not reading this right?

The torque you are seeing at the wheels is probably much less,
especially with the altitude in your area. I can tell you that 460
ft-lbs at the rear wheels is light years ahead of the stock output.

> So then what is the hp and tq increase from a 6 or a 9lb? Any idea?

A rule of thumb for a car near sea level is 8-12 horsepower per psi of
boost depending on any other modifications you have made. Substantial
torque increases with a centrifugal blower will be limited to
4,500-5,000 rpm and above. The power band of a centrifugal is narrow
where a twin screw's is across the entire rpm range.

> And okay, let me ask you another question... for the price of
> the blower, Ford offers heads, rollers, headers a few other pieces
> that equal the price of the blower and Ford says dynos at 305hp. So,
> that's about a wash... Pros, cons to this? I'd really like your
> guys thoughts.

If you were at sea level I would definitely recommend going with a
head/cam/intake swap. It would give you about the same hp/tq (280
rwhp/rwtq) improvement as a supercharger at 6-8 psi and it would be much
more reliable. Since you are at a higher altitude I think a blower is a
better choice. Since you are at a higher altitude you can probably run
higher boost without the temperature penalty you would see at sea level.
I really suggest you try and get a ride in two cars, one with each
tyoe of blower. The twin screw will feel like you have a strong
running, high revving 500 cubic inch engine under the hood. The
centrifugal will feel almost stock until 4,500-5,000 rpm and then the
power comes on fast and furious.
Old July 16th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Nicholas Anthony wrote:
> [...]

> unit you are getting with the kit. The BD11-a is the newer model so make
> sure that is what you are getting. The next step up is a the XB-1A which can
> handle upto 18psi and are fine at low levels but cost allot more. IMO I say
> go for the Ford Powerdyne if money is an issue. Its a great entry way into
> the world of s/c the belts are rated for 50k miles and you can have it
> rebuilt down the road for just over $300-500 with kevlar belts and other
> improvements.
>
> As far as centrifugal vs roots blowers also keep in mind the centrifugal
> (ex: Powerdyne, Procharger) will be cooler and allow a denser air flow then
> the roots (ex: Whipple, Kenne Bell). Henceforth you can have the two types
> of blowers producing 6psi but the centrifugal will give more power cause of
> the denser air flow. Just some more food for thought.

For the 5.0L engines there are no current Roots kits offered. He would
have to go with a Kenne Bell kit. The twin screws are more efficient
than the centrifugals and make less heat from compression. They also
take much less hp to drive them at the same boost levels. The down side
of the twin screw is there are no intercooler options for the 5.0L
engines. I get around this by using water injection that is just as
effective as an intercooler and in many respects is better.
Old July 16th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

JohnV@nn wrote:
> BradandBrooks wrote:
>> John,
>> Is that really true? And you can get one for $1600? I can get the FRPP for $2000. That;s the cost of a new fuel pump and the gasket. Hmmmm... very interesting.
>> I would like the low end power, but really, don't you guys find that the 5.0 has enough power from idle to 3,500 rpm? I find it lacks after that. Plus then, does traction become an issue?
>> I'm starting to get confused here. But that's a good thing - means I'm learning something.
>> Thanks!
>> Brad

> do a web search on "powerdyne supercharger".
>
> I also have a 93 GT (although with a lot more miles than yours). I
> have done quite a bit of research on the issues you bring up. I would
> summarize it like this: The centrifugals are best for the track (where
> you're "winding out" every gear as a rule), and the twin screws like
> Whipple and Kenne Bell are best for the street because, let's face it,
> how often do you really hit 5500 rpm driving around town. A lot of
> people say the KB on the 5.0 feels like a big block; they say it feels
> more like big displacement than forced induction.

The power curve of a twin screw is very similar to a N/A one except it
is amplified across the rpm range for both torque and horsepower. If I
put someone in a car with a twin screw and they couldn't hear the blower
whining they would be hard pressed to tell whether it had a big block or
a small block with the blower. I can modulate the power very easy with
the throttle. If I want more power I just press the accelerator down
more and let up for less. I can accelerate and easily keep the tires at
the edge of traction or if I want send them up in a cloud of smoke.

You definitely right about the twin screw being a very good blower for a
street driven car. I can enjoy the power it makes in just about any
driving situation. One of the best times is coming out of a curve in
third gear and accelerating like a rocket from 2,500 rpm to redline. It
never fails to put a smile on my face.

> I have also researched doing a NA build up as you mentioned. Lots of
> people get big power without a traditional "power adder". The question
> is, what gives you the most bang for the buck. For most of us, that's
> a power adder.

One other thing I have learned is that trying to make big horsepower
increases on the cheap usually ends up costing most than doing it right
from the beginning. As the old saying goes, "You have to pay to play".
Another is "Horsepower costs money. How fast do you want to go?"
Old July 17th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

Okay guys. Thanks for ALL the information!

I got tons to think about now. lol

You are all very knowledgeable and helpful and I thank you for taking the time to help!

Brad

Old July 23rd 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in message

"Nicholas Anthony" > wrote in message

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]

the world of s/c the belts are rated for 50k miles and you can have it
rebuilt down the road for just over $300-500 with kevlar belts and other
improvements.

As far as centrifugal vs roots blowers also keep in mind the centrifugal
(ex: Powerdyne, Procharger) will be cooler and allow a denser air flow then
the roots (ex: Whipple, Kenne Bell). Henceforth you can have the two types
of blowers producing 6psi but the centrifugal will give more power cause of
the denser air flow. Just some more food for thought.

Nick

Thanks Nick. That's a lot of info to digest. I'm just going to print out all
these messages and hand them to the SVT guys. lol!

So, how much power does a 6lb Powerdyne produce? Ford says a 9lb is about
40%. That's a lot. So, is a 6 about 25%? Care to offer thoughts on the NA

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I am at my max of multi tasking
atm lol. I showed a gain of 50hp with the 6lb pulley. I am happy with it but
will certainly add an Anderson pipe, upgraded the fuel pump to a 255lb,
bought an 11lb pulley which is really cutting it close to max for rpm, may
have the computer redone, and a by pass valve. I am hoping to see much
improved results so I dont have to do aluminum heads, intake, and cam right
away. Power is addicting for sure.