Where to buy SVT Shelby GT 500 without 20k markup?

Old March 5th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Where to buy SVT Shelby GT 500 without 20k markup?

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Brent P wrote:
>> In article >, Michael
>> Johnson, PE wrote:
>>
>>> I think the initial rush for the GT500 will drive the price up to
>>> $50k-$60k but if they build 7,000+ this model year, like I was told
>>> at the DC Auto Show, I think the price will level out to a few
>>> thousand over sticker. Then next year if they do another 7,000 unit
>>> run the price might even get below sticker. Then again I might be
>>> full of $hit.

>> It's all in how ford distributes them and how many suckers there are.
>> Way too many people out there with more money than brains.

> I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them. The
> Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when they
> first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off
> substantially.

What are they going for now? The price of a house?

> I think there are just so many buyers at a certain
> price point and spreading the cars around to many dealers won't
> increase that number. Plus, if Ford makes over 14,000 in a two year
> run the Shelby just won't be that rare.

Bet me that Ford doesn't make 14,000 in two years. I think we'll be
lucky to see 5,000 a year if that.

> The Cobra R is not a good
> comparison because they truly made that a limited production run
> vehicle (around 300 units, IIRC). Personally, my limit is $45k-$50k
> for a loaded convertible. Anymore than that will make me look hard at
> other cars from Mercedes, Lexus, Corvette etc. No matter how Ford
> wants to spin it they are still selling a Mustang and I bet the
> general public won't let them forget that fact. Sure there will be
> the buyers that will pay any price but they will fade out quick. IMO,
> patient will be rewarded when buying a GT500.

To a point, I think you're right, Michael. But I also think that Ford
will realize that they can't go above that $50k line, and to jack up the
price they'll cut production. They might just be able to make more
money by selling fewer cars.
Old March 5th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Brent P wrote:

>>> It's all in how ford distributes them and how many suckers there are.
>>> Way too many people out there with more money than brains.

>> I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them. The
>> Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when they
>> first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off
>> substantially.

> What are they going for now? The price of a house?

Last I heard it is now a little over sticker or about $160k. Still a
bargain though when you consider it can kick the butt of a $400k Ferrari.

>> I think there are just so many buyers at a certain
>> price point and spreading the cars around to many dealers won't
>> increase that number. Plus, if Ford makes over 14,000 in a two year
>> run the Shelby just won't be that rare.

> Bet me that Ford doesn't make 14,000 in two years. I think we'll be
> lucky to see 5,000 a year if that.

Even 5,000/year is quite a few. My guess is they will have to sell
several thousand a year just to recoup their investment.

>> The Cobra R is not a good
>> comparison because they truly made that a limited production run
>> vehicle (around 300 units, IIRC). Personally, my limit is $45k-$50k
>> for a loaded convertible. Anymore than that will make me look hard at
>> other cars from Mercedes, Lexus, Corvette etc. No matter how Ford
>> wants to spin it they are still selling a Mustang and I bet the
>> general public won't let them forget that fact. Sure there will be
>> the buyers that will pay any price but they will fade out quick. IMO,
>> patient will be rewarded when buying a GT500.

> To a point, I think you're right, Michael. But I also think that Ford
> will realize that they can't go above that $50k line, and to jack up the
> price they'll cut production. They might just be able to make more
> money by selling fewer cars.

I also think they know their price limit is in the $45k-$50k range. I'm
sure they have probed the market to find the sweet spot. Over $50k and
there are just too many other cars that become competitors. Under $50k
and they have a free reign in that segment and nothing can touch that
car for the value. I have no doubt Ford dealers will rape the first few
Mustang/Shelby maniacs that hit the showrooms and I really don't blame
them for doing it. Hell, I would do it if I owned a dealership.

Here are a few cars I will consider if Ford thinks I will spend more
than $50k on a Mustang:

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?...=MODELSELECTOR
http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/index.html
http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...olet/indetail/

..... and my personal favorite as runner-up

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/#corvette-z06

Plus there are many, many kit cars offered nowadays that are really
quite good and can perform right up with the best from the major auto
makers. Heck, maybe in a year, or so, a slightly used Ford GT might be
possible.

Old March 5th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:
> Zombywoof > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:00:36 -0600,
>> (Brent P) wrote:

>>> I got one answer from the guy at the chicago autoshow and another
>>> answer when I called SVT.
>>>
>>> The former said the cars would goto SVT dealers based on how many '04
>>> cobras they sold in an effort to stop the mark up. The later said the
>>> cars will be split up amung all ford dealers based on sales.
>>>
>>> If the later, odds are 20K mark ups will be rampant as most
>>> stealerships will just mark up their one GT500 and sit on it until
>>> some sucker pays it. If they really do put the preference on high
>>> volume SVT dealers then there is hope, because the ones that sell the
>>> most cobras are probably not doing the mark up BS.
>>>
>>> I just get the feeling Ford doesn't want me buying anything from them
>>> sometimes.
>>>

>> Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for
>> the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price
>> point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often
>> wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country
>> shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

> I don't know, but I see a helluva lot of 'em on the roads down here.
> Lots of SSRs riding around, too.

I see one or two around here during the summer but haven't seen one SSR.
IMO, the SSR is a decent bargain. Especially with the newer 400 hp
engine.
Old March 5th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Joe wrote:
>> Ford is blowing it again - they put out a simply fabulous car but nobody
>> except the elite few can get one. End result - a lot of ****ed off
>> almost-but-not-quite customers.

> They expect us to buy lesser mustangs and tauri. If I can't get a GT500 or don't
> like it I'm buying something German, something old, or nothing at all.

Don't forget about the Z06. It is an absolute beast.
Old March 5th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:41:07 -0500, Zombywoof
> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:00:36 -0600,
>(Brent P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Anthony Watters wrote:
>>> I realize that these cars are not currently available but does anyone here
>>> know any SVT dealers that abide by a 'no-markup' policy?
>>> Looking to order & purchase the new SVT Shelby GT 500 without paying a 20k
>>> markup. Any ideas?

>>I got one answer from the guy at the chicago autoshow and another answer
>>when I called SVT.
>>
>>The former said the cars would goto SVT dealers based on how many '04
>>cobras they sold in an effort to stop the mark up. The later said the
>>cars will be split up amung all ford dealers based on sales.
>>
>>If the later, odds are 20K mark ups will be rampant as most stealerships
>>will just mark up their one GT500 and sit on it until some sucker pays
>>it. If they really do put the preference on high volume SVT dealers then
>>there is hope, because the ones that sell the most cobras are probably
>>not doing the mark up BS.
>>
>>I just get the feeling Ford doesn't want me buying anything from them
>>sometimes.
>>

>Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for
>the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price
>point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often
>wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country
>shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

I remember people were paying $40K when the first PT Cuisers came out.
Bet they feel like chumps. I paid just under the sticker for my 98
cobra. It still runs good. I am interested in the GT500, but when I
think it thru I don't really want one that badly.

1. I don't like the stripes. If I opt out of the stripes (if that's
possible) the car won't look genuine.

2. I can't imagine why I would need a 450+ HP car.

3. That's a lot of money for a Mustang. I would tend to look closer at
the Corvettes if the price is gonna be near the base price of a
Corvette.

4. I actually would like to have an automatic trans. I have been
driving sticks forever and a automatic sounds kinda nice. I live in
the heart of Pinellas County FL and so 99% of my driving is in heavy
traffic with 45MPH speed limits.

Old March 5th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them. The
> Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when they
> first hit the showrooms.

Most of the first production was _reserved_ for special people like Jay
Leno and the host of Top Gear. So take a limited production and squeeze
it further.

> Pricing for them has leveled off
> substantially. I think there are just so many buyers at a certain price
> point and spreading the cars around to many dealers won't increase that
> number.

That is true of cars that cost as much as real estate, but as the price
drops to that of a corvette or less it becomes less and less true.

> Plus, if Ford makes over 14,000 in a two year run the Shelby
> just won't be that rare.

It depends on how many people understand that and if they make that many.

> The Cobra R is not a good comparison because
> they truly made that a limited production run vehicle (around 300 units,
> IIRC).

I wasn't using it as a basis of comparison.

> Personally, my limit is $45k-$50k for a loaded convertible.
> Anymore than that will make me look hard at other cars from Mercedes,
> Lexus, Corvette etc.

That's my point as well.

> No matter how Ford wants to spin it they are still
> selling a Mustang and I bet the general public won't let them forget
> that fact. Sure there will be the buyers that will pay any price but
> they will fade out quick. IMO, patient will be rewarded when buying a
> GT500.

With some luck. But playing the games just turns me off entirely. My
guess is dealers will still act like the GT500 is special if they are
built to demand. If demand is less 7,000 a year then we are set, if it's
greater well then forget about it.

Old March 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Joe wrote:

> To a point, I think you're right, Michael. But I also think that Ford
> will realize that they can't go above that $50k line, and to jack up the
> price they'll cut production. They might just be able to make more
> money by selling fewer cars.

Dealers make the above MSRP part, not ford... the stealerships are as big
of a problem as Ford itself, maybe more.

Old March 5th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On 4 Mar 2006 13:20:40 -0800, "croaker68" > wrote:

>Does SAMS still have that option to buy new Ford Vehicles? I think I
>read here that people were able to get a mustang GT @ retail back when
>they were being marked up a lot.

Not a Mustang GT, a Ford GT,
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/home.asp.
--

December 9, 2005 (CNN) While interviewing an anonymous
US Special Forces soldier, a Reuters News agent asked

The soldier shrugged and replied, "Recoil." (Possible Urban Legend)
Old March 5th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Mort Guffman wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:41:07 -0500, Zombywoof
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:00:36 -0600,
>> (Brent P) wrote:

>>> I got one answer from the guy at the chicago autoshow and another answer
>>> when I called SVT.
>>>
>>> The former said the cars would goto SVT dealers based on how many '04
>>> cobras they sold in an effort to stop the mark up. The later said the
>>> cars will be split up amung all ford dealers based on sales.
>>>
>>> If the later, odds are 20K mark ups will be rampant as most stealerships
>>> will just mark up their one GT500 and sit on it until some sucker pays
>>> it. If they really do put the preference on high volume SVT dealers then
>>> there is hope, because the ones that sell the most cobras are probably
>>> not doing the mark up BS.
>>>
>>> I just get the feeling Ford doesn't want me buying anything from them
>>> sometimes.
>>>

>> Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for
>> the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price
>> point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often
>> wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country
>> shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

> I remember people were paying $40K when the first PT Cuisers came out.
> Bet they feel like chumps. I paid just under the sticker for my 98
> cobra. It still runs good. I am interested in the GT500, but when I
> think it thru I don't really want one that badly.
>
> 1. I don't like the stripes. If I opt out of the stripes (if that's
> possible) the car won't look genuine.
>
> 2. I can't imagine why I would need a 450+ HP car.
>
> 3. That's a lot of money for a Mustang. I would tend to look closer at
> the Corvettes if the price is gonna be near the base price of a
> Corvette.
>
> 4. I actually would like to have an automatic trans. I have been
> driving sticks forever and a automatic sounds kinda nice. I live in
> the heart of Pinellas County FL and so 99% of my driving is in heavy
> traffic with 45MPH speed limits.

I am with you on this. I really hope Ford has an option for an
automatic. Something tells me they won't due to the after market tuning
potential and high torque output of the engine. I doubt they have a
tranny in their arsenal that can take the abuse.
Old March 5th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Mort Guffman" > wrote in message

> I remember people were paying $40K when the first PT Cuisers came out.
> Bet they feel like chumps. I paid just under the sticker for my 98
> cobra. It still runs good. I am interested in the GT500, but when I
> think it thru I don't really want one that badly.
>
> 1. I don't like the stripes. If I opt out of the stripes (if that's
> possible) the car won't look genuine.

I'm with you on this. Black, no stripes for me.
I don't really care about it looking "genuine".

> 2. I can't imagine why I would need a 450+ HP car.

I can't imagine _not_ needing 450+ HP.

> 3. That's a lot of money for a Mustang. I would tend to look closer at
> the Corvettes if the price is gonna be near the base price of a
> Corvette.

If a 2-seater will suffice, why even look at the Mustang?
The Corvettes are very nice for the money.

> 4. I actually would like to have an automatic trans. I have been
> driving sticks forever and a automatic sounds kinda nice. I live in
> the heart of Pinellas County FL and so 99% of my driving is in heavy
> traffic with 45MPH speed limits.

Yep, look at the 'Vette. I doubt you'll see an auto from Ford, behind that
motor.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.