Get Ready To Pay Four Bucks A Gallon

Old September 1st 05, 04:56 PM
Spike

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:25:05 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...

>I watched with dismay the looting going on in New Orleans.

Looting, unfortunately, is a normal reaction to a major catastrophe.
In New Orleans it's expected. The times which surprise me are when
people in ghettos burn down their own homes (such as they are) and
loot and burn the only stores which will operate in that environment.
An example is Watts.

>The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30
>cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.

It's kinda like unions. one union goes out on strike and the rest show
support and solidarity by going out on strike even when they didn't
need more benefits or pay. Here you have gas stations doing the same
thing for their brother stations.

>Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station
>owners.

Major difference. Looters are doing something illegal, while what the
gas stations are doing is legal. Looters can be shot legally. Gas
station attendants can't.

>dwight

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be....
Children are obscene but should not be heard
Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!
Old September 1st 05, 05:06 PM
Spike

On 31 Aug 2005 18:39:04 -0700, wrote:

>dwight wrote:
>
>> > NEW YORK - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a

>It's soon going to look like 1974 all over again. You remember,
>dwight. You couldn't give away a "gas guzzler." The old muscle cars
>were pushed out to pasture. It's now set to happen to our latest breed
>too. Not to mention the scores of overweight SUVs.

It's already started. Car manufacturers have already begun downsizing
SUVs models. They say because the price of fuel will really cut sales.
As it was back then, I already see 4X4s and SUVs sitting along the
roads with For Sale signs.

>If gas prices continue to escalate you'll be able to buy any of those
>"big rigs" for the paper money you happen to have in your wallet.
>Imagine a big sign... Hummers, 80% off. And to think, GM recently put
>all their fresh eggs into the SUV market by killing investment in new
>sedans in order to rush a fresh set of big SUVs to market...

Gas prices will continue to rise, but the pundits have already said
the high prices can not be sustained long term because of the impact
on societies around the world, and the changes which would have to
happen. That includes the possibility of world conflict over fuel.

One of the oil company execs just stated that he didn't believe the
price per barrel could be sustained at even $50 per barrel. And OPEC
is already hedging.

Nothing has changed yet, but it likely will. The damage brought by
Katrina were not projected. In fact some believed the hurricane season
was pretty much over. Meteorologists, however, say major hurricanes
should be expected for up to another 40 years, if, as they suspect,
the world is in a cycle of severe weather as has been recorded in the
geological records.

Old September 1st 05, 05:12 PM
Spike

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:50:18 -0700, Quiet Desperation
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
>> Is the modern muscle car era over, and is return of the Mustang II just
>> around the corner?

>Hybrid Mustangs.

better than a Pinto, or an AMC Pacer..... : 0 )

Old September 1st 05, 06:10 PM
Keith Warren

Fox News at noon showed a BP station in Metro Atlanta that was at $6.079 a
gallon today .

oups.com...

Old September 1st 05, 06:53 PM
dwight

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> dwight wrote:
>
>> > NEW YORK - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a
>> > gallon soon, but whether they stay there depends on the long-term
>> > damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts
>> > said Wednesday.

>> > "There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director
>> > of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is
>> > how high will it go and how long will it last?"

>> > Is the modern muscle car era over, and is return of the Mustang II just
>> > around the corner?

>> I watched with dismay the looting going on in New Orleans.

>> The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30
>> cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.

>> Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station
>> owners.

> dwight,
>
> It's soon going to look like 1974 all over again. You remember,
> dwight. You couldn't give away a "gas guzzler." The old muscle cars
> were pushed out to pasture. It's now set to happen to our latest breed
> too. Not to mention the scores of overweight SUVs.
>
> If gas prices continue to escalate you'll be able to buy any of those
> "big rigs" for the paper money you happen to have in your wallet.
> Imagine a big sign... Hummers, 80% off. And to think, GM recently put
> all their fresh eggs into the SUV market by killing investment in new
> sedans in order to rush a fresh set of big SUVs to market...
>
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra

Good thing I just bought the bicycle. I can see myself pedalling to work
next year, when gas hits $6.00.

)

Old September 1st 05, 06:55 PM
dwight

"Quiet Desperation" > wrote in message
> In article >, dwight
> > wrote:
>
>> The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30
>> cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.
>>
>> Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station
>> owners.

> They charge based on what it will cost to *replace* what is already in
> the tank. That's Business 101.

Baloney.

I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she raised
her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."

Look - I understand fair market value and the price that the market will
bear, and all that. But this is thievery. Plain and simple.

When the station pays a higher price for their product, I'll pay a higher
price for what I buy. THAT is business 101.

dwight

Old September 1st 05, 06:58 PM
dwight

"Spike" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:25:05 -0400, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
groups.com...

>>I watched with dismay the looting going on in New Orleans.

> Looting, unfortunately, is a normal reaction to a major catastrophe.
> In New Orleans it's expected. The times which surprise me are when
> people in ghettos burn down their own homes (such as they are) and
> loot and burn the only stores which will operate in that environment.
> An example is Watts.
>>
>>The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30
>>cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.

> It's kinda like unions. one union goes out on strike and the rest show
> support and solidarity by going out on strike even when they didn't
> need more benefits or pay. Here you have gas stations doing the same
> thing for their brother stations.
>>
>>Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station
>>owners.

> Major difference. Looters are doing something illegal, while what the
> gas stations are doing is legal. Looters can be shot legally. Gas
> station attendants can't.

Here is a horrible situation, yet we see innumerable examples of heroism and
neighbors coming together. The looters are the exact opposite - "what's in
this for me?"

The station owners are the same. They see a catastrophe as an excuse to
increase their profits on the gasoline they've already purchased. Sure, it's
legal, but it's still looting. And it's despicable.

dwight

Old September 2nd 05, 02:18 AM
AGuyNamedSteve

> Imagine a big sign... Hummers, 80% off.