Power steering pump removed. How do you hook up a water pump V belt?

Old August 24th 05, 03:12 AM
Dan

Default Power steering pump removed. How do you hook up a water pump V belt?

When removing a power steering pump set up with V belts, How do you hook =
up a belt to turn the water pump? Is there a special eliminator bracket =
or dummy pulley set up?
What is the cheapest way to do this. I'm broke...........again.........
This subject had to come up in the past but I could'nt find it.
This is on a 302 (late 70's vintage) with V belts, Just has an =
alternator on passenger side and a water pump with no way to hook a V =
belt up to it. The lower crank pulley has 4 spaces for belts though.
The car is a 67 Mustang with No power steering, no power brakes, no air, =
no smog pump, nothing ! It just needs a water pump idler pulley set up =
for a V belt.

Please spew forth your knowledge and solutions to this problem.
Thanks

Danford1

Old August 24th 05, 05:04 AM
.boB

Dan wrote:

> When removing a power steering pump set up with V belts, How do you hook up a belt to turn the water pump? Is there a special eliminator bracket or dummy pulley set up?
> What is the cheapest way to do this. I'm broke...........again.........
> This subject had to come up in the past but I could'nt find it.
> This is on a 302 (late 70's vintage) with V belts, Just has an alternator on passenger side and a water pump with no way to hook a V belt up to it. The lower crank pulley has 4 spaces for belts though.
> The car is a 67 Mustang with No power steering, no power brakes, no air, no smog pump, nothing ! It just needs a water pump idler pulley set up for a V belt.
>
> Please spew forth your knowledge and solutions to this problem.
> Thanks
>
> Danford1

Using the correct stock pulley's, you can use a single belt to run the waterpump
and alternator. That's the way they came from the factory.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old August 24th 05, 06:45 PM

As boB says, you've got to run a single belt from crank to alternator
to water pump. The trick is to find a set of pulleys that lines up all
three. You've got to have perfect alignment or you'll get an annoying
squeal. Custom Auto Air in Tampa has a good supply of these kinds of
parts. As another suggestion, it might be easier to find a two row
pulley for the alternator than to find a WP pulley with the correct
offset.

What *I* would do is put that power steering pump back on. You will
not be happy with manual steering, particularly if you have retained
the power steering box (16:1 ratio vs. 22:1 for manual) and the PS
Pitman arm and idler arm (they're longer than the manual steering
units). Unless you're a really strong guy.

On the other hand, if you still want to get rid of the PS pump, ram,
and control valve, I know a '65 Mustang that would give them a good
home.

180 Out