How to stop rust on chrome wheels?

Old August 1st 05, 04:35 PM
Steve

Default How to stop rust on chrome wheels?

I have a 2004 300m with the plastic coated chrome rims. I think I may have
damaged them with a wheel cleaner I was using. Now I have small rust spots
on the wheels. I can scratch most of it off but not all.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to slow the process. I was
thinking of cleaning the wheels and covering the spots with clear enamel or
something else that is transparent and strong.

Thanks

Old August 1st 05, 11:02 PM
maxpower

"Steve" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have a 2004 300m with the plastic coated chrome rims. I think I may have
> damaged them with a wheel cleaner I was using. Now I have small rust

spots
> on the wheels. I can scratch most of it off but not all.
>
> I was wondering if there is anything I can do to slow the process. I was
> thinking of cleaning the wheels and covering the spots with clear enamel

or
> something else that is transparent and strong.
>
> Thanks

Im am told to use soap and water on those wheels. I am seeing so many of
these wheels being cleaned with an after market type cleaner which is an
acid, it does a really good job on the wheels but the owners don't realize
what they are doing to the axles, axle nut and rear bearing cups, it is
literally eating the metal up.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 2nd 05, 04:19 AM
MoPar Man

maxpower wrote:

> Im am told to use soap and water on those wheels. I am seeing so
> many of these wheels being cleaned with an after market type
> cleaner which is an acid, it does a really good job on the
> wheels but the owners don't realize what they are doing to
> the axles, axle nut and rear bearing cups, it is
> literally eating the metal up.

It's not because of any cleaner that people use.

I've only used soap and water on my 17" crome wheels (2000 300m with
no plastic coating on the wheels). When I change between the chrome
wheels and winter steel rims I get a good look at the hub/nut and rear
cup. Very rusty. The aluminum wheel in close contact with the
close-fitting rear hub has made it hard to get the wheel of on one
occassion.

Those components will rust no matter what you do.
Old August 2nd 05, 10:25 AM
damnnickname

I will have to disagree with you on that, some rust is normal, but the ones
that I have run across and I dont mean all of em. I have mentioned it to
the owners about it, And yes they say are using a steel wheel cleaner.
When the cleaner gets behind the wheel and puddles on the axle nut and the
rear bearing cup cover it will corrode it.
I believe there was also a TSB on this mater at one time.

Old August 2nd 05, 09:55 PM
Art

I never clean the chrome wheels on my 99 300M except for the occassional car
wash. They still look brand new.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 3rd 05, 10:29 AM
NJ Vike

Hmm,

I have always used chrome polish (DuPont) on my wheels and have never had a
problem with the 300M and the Cirrus I had before. It's those friggin
aftermarket wheels that haven't lasted. Never again will I purchase
aftermarket wheels again!

Ken

.. .

Old August 11th 05, 05:56 AM
Eugene Blanchard

Paint the inside of the rim with a rust proof paint like rustoleum. The rust
proof paints have extra zinc in them (and here's the chemistry) which
donates excess electrons instead of using the iron's electrons. Rust is
iron oxide - combination of oxygen + iron and extra electrons. The zinc
donates the electrons and stops the iron oxide (rust) from forming.
Ideally, you would want to stick a 5 lb chunk of zinc attached to your
frame but that's not practical.

T&C chrome wheels bad? Zork Chrysler 1 June 8th 05 12:43 AM
300C Chrome Wheels Peter A. Stavrakoglou Chrysler 3 May 9th 05 07:12 PM
Aluminum ALLOY WHEELS RUST NOT!! Mark Levitski Technology 10 April 4th 05 01:37 PM
Ebay listing # 7937748787 for chrome 17" TSW Hockenheim "R" wheels mounted on Michellin Sport Pilots BMW 0 November 30th 04 10:52 PM
mercedes chrome wire wheels don Antique cars 0 November 7th 03 03:51 AM