Insurance co's rake it in!

Old July 30th 05, 09:24 AM
RichA

Default Insurance co's rake it in!

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
ownership in various a U.S. cities.

Released Friday by Runzheimer International, a management consulting
firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, the survey revealed
that insurance, at $5,162 annually for liability, collision, and
comprehensive coverage, is the biggest single reason that maintaining
a car in the Motor City is so expensive.

Runzheimer calculates costs based on a fully loaded 2006 Ford Five
Hundred SEL with a 3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine. The calculation also
assumes that the car is driven an average of 15,000 miles for four
years within a 50 mile-radius of the city.

Philadelphians would pay nearly as much, $10,672 with $4,142 going to
pay for insurance, as would Los Angelenos, at $10,361, including
insurance costs of $3,225.

The same car would cost just $7,399 a year in Knoxville, Tennessee., a
savings of $4,445 compared with Detroit.

Maintenance costs also vary quite widely, from a high of 7.35
cents-per-mile in San Francisco to a low of 4.19 cents-per-mile in
Charlottetown, Pennsylvania.

Car ownership costs:

Detroit -- $11,844

Philadelphia -- $10,672

Los Angeles -- $10,361

Boston -- $9,660

Miami -- $9,216

Baltimore -- $9,125

Denver -- $8,949

Houston -- $8,467

Topeka, KS -- $8,078

Grand Forks, ND -- $7,423

Sioux Falls, SD -- $7,401

Knoxville, TN -- $7,399
Old July 30th 05, 06:21 PM
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:24:27 -0400, RichA > wrote:

>NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
>amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
>in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
>ownership in various a U.S. cities.
>
>Released Friday by Runzheimer International, a management consulting
>firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, the survey revealed
>that insurance, at $5,162 annually for liability, collision, and
>comprehensive coverage, is the biggest single reason that maintaining
>a car in the Motor City is so expensive.

I refuse to believe that an average driver in Detroit pays over $400 a
month for full coverage insurance. Anybody here in Rock City?

>Runzheimer calculates costs based on a fully loaded 2006 Ford Five
>Hundred SEL with a 3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine. The calculation also
>assumes that the car is driven an average of 15,000 miles for four
>years within a 50 mile-radius of the city.
>
>Philadelphians would pay nearly as much, $10,672 with $4,142 going to
>pay for insurance, as would Los Angelenos, at $10,361, including
>insurance costs of $3,225.
>
>The same car would cost just $7,399 a year in Knoxville, Tennessee., a
>savings of $4,445 compared with Detroit.
>
>Maintenance costs also vary quite widely, from a high of 7.35
>cents-per-mile in San Francisco to a low of 4.19 cents-per-mile in
>Charlottetown, Pennsylvania.

Seems that they missed some other core components to car ownership.
We here in the south pay an annual personal property tax on our
vehicles. Other states such as California have pretty steep
registration fees, and of course there is also the sales tax on the
initial purchase. It also seems that the maintenance costs on a new
vehicle are pretty damn steep in their calculations unless they are
including fuel costs as part of maintenance.

--

Please Don't Steal - The Government Hates Competition

ZombyWoof
(take the dogs when replying via e-mail)
Old July 30th 05, 08:14 PM
Spike

Maybe they mean pay that much for a brand new car, for a driver under
age 20, with stacks of moving violations and accidents......

In 1971, one of my friends in tacoma, WA owned a Corvette. Buying
insurance, he paid for the car again every 4-5 years. As I recall, the
insurance on my then 5 year old 65 Mustang was $129 per month as a
rider on my father's policy. The payments on the Mustang were $101 per
month.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:21:00 -0400, ZombyWoof >
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:24:27 -0400, RichA > wrote:
>
>>NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
>>amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
>>in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
>>ownership in various a U.S. cities.
>>
>>Released Friday by Runzheimer International, a management consulting
>>firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, the survey revealed
>>that insurance, at $5,162 annually for liability, collision, and
>>comprehensive coverage, is the biggest single reason that maintaining
>>a car in the Motor City is so expensive.
>>

>I refuse to believe that an average driver in Detroit pays over $400 a
>month for full coverage insurance. Anybody here in Rock City?
>
>>Runzheimer calculates costs based on a fully loaded 2006 Ford Five
>>Hundred SEL with a 3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine. The calculation also
>>assumes that the car is driven an average of 15,000 miles for four
>>years within a 50 mile-radius of the city.
>>
>>Philadelphians would pay nearly as much, $10,672 with $4,142 going to
>>pay for insurance, as would Los Angelenos, at $10,361, including
>>insurance costs of $3,225.
>>
>>The same car would cost just $7,399 a year in Knoxville, Tennessee., a
>>savings of $4,445 compared with Detroit.
>>
>>Maintenance costs also vary quite widely, from a high of 7.35
>>cents-per-mile in San Francisco to a low of 4.19 cents-per-mile in
>>Charlottetown, Pennsylvania.
>>

>Seems that they missed some other core components to car ownership.
>We here in the south pay an annual personal property tax on our
>vehicles. Other states such as California have pretty steep
>registration fees, and of course there is also the sales tax on the
>initial purchase. It also seems that the maintenance costs on a new
>vehicle are pretty damn steep in their calculations unless they are
>including fuel costs as part of maintenance.
>
>>Car ownership costs:
>>
>>Detroit -- $11,844
>>
>>Philadelphia -- $10,672
>>
>>Los Angeles -- $10,361
>>
>>Boston -- $9,660
>>
>>Miami -- $9,216
>>
>>Baltimore -- $9,125
>>
>>Denver -- $8,949
>>
>>Houston -- $8,467
>>
>>Topeka, KS -- $8,078
>>
>>Grand Forks, ND -- $7,423
>>
>>Sioux Falls, SD -- $7,401
>>
>>Knoxville, TN -- $7,399

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Old July 30th 05, 09:31 PM
RichA

wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:24:27 -0400, RichA > wrote:
>
>>NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
>>amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
>>in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
>>ownership in various a U.S. cities.
>>
>>Released Friday by Runzheimer International, a management consulting
>>firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, the survey revealed
>>that insurance, at $5,162 annually for liability, collision, and
>>comprehensive coverage, is the biggest single reason that maintaining
>>a car in the Motor City is so expensive.
>>

>I refuse to believe that an average driver in Detroit pays over $400 a
>month for full coverage insurance. Anybody here in Rock City?

In Toronto, it's about right. I have an unblemished record and was
quoted $11,000/yr for my Mustang by one company. The lowest was was
$5,200. I doubt I'd get even a domestic sedan (one of the least
expensive cars to insure) for under $3000.
-Rich

Old July 31st 05, 03:45 AM
Spike

As if the price of fuel wasn't bad enough.... Makes ya wonder how
heavily invested in the ricer car market the insurance companies
are....

Old July 31st 05, 03:16 PM
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:14:21 -0700, Spike > wrote:

>Maybe they mean pay that much for a brand new car, for a driver under
>age 20, with stacks of moving violations and accidents......
>
>In 1971, one of my friends in tacoma, WA owned a Corvette. Buying
>insurance, he paid for the car again every 4-5 years. As I recall, the
>insurance on my then 5 year old 65 Mustang was $129 per month as a
>rider on my father's policy. The payments on the Mustang were $101 per
>month.

Ok, my current licensed & registered stable includes a 2005 F-150,
2001 Mustang ragtop, 2002 Chevy Astro, 2002 Chevy S-10 and a `99 HD
FXSTC. The insured drivers on all vehicles are two 50 year olds with
clean records, a 21 yo female with a pretty shabby record, and a 17yo
with a clean record. For all of this I pay $1900 every six months for
full coverage with $250 deductibles and $100/300K liability.

The bike is $300 a year on top of that. The most expensive of the
herd is the `01 Mustang which is assigned to the 17 yo at $750 every
six months. The `05 F-150 with me as the assigned driver is $305
every six months.

Now that is four insured drivers on five vehicles at less then the
quoted $5k a year.

Old July 31st 05, 03:17 PM
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:31:43 -0400, RichA > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:21:00 -0400, ZombyWoof >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:24:27 -0400, RichA > wrote:
>>
>>>NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
>>>amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
>>>in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
>>>ownership in various a U.S. cities.
>>>
>>>Released Friday by Runzheimer International, a management consulting
>>>firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, the survey revealed
>>>that insurance, at $5,162 annually for liability, collision, and
>>>comprehensive coverage, is the biggest single reason that maintaining
>>>a car in the Motor City is so expensive.
>>>

>>I refuse to believe that an average driver in Detroit pays over $400 a
>>month for full coverage insurance. Anybody here in Rock City?

>In Toronto, it's about right. I have an unblemished record and was
>quoted $11,000/yr for my Mustang by one company. The lowest was was
>$5,200. I doubt I'd get even a domestic sedan (one of the least
>expensive cars to insure) for under $3000.
>-Rich

Well two things; First that isn't the US, and second, that is insane.

Old July 31st 05, 03:18 PM
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:45:23 -0700, Spike > wrote:

>As if the price of fuel wasn't bad enough.... Makes ya wonder how
>heavily invested in the ricer car market the insurance companies
>are....

Actually I never wondered about that. Investments by insurance
companies has everything to do with return on investment and little to
do with anything else.

Old July 31st 05, 04:15 PM

RichA wrote:

> NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It costs more to own a car in Detroit, an
> amazing $11,844 a year for a mid-sized sedan, than in any other city
> in the country, according to a new report comparing the cost of car
> ownership in various a U.S. cities.

Blah, blah, blah. What the **** do you expect? Someone has to pay for
the insurance payouts related to 9/11.
Old July 31st 05, 09:32 PM
Spike

Sorry. Apparently the sentiment didn't come through. I actually do
understand how insurance companies work. They rake it in and hope to
hell they don't have to pay anything out. Of course they do, but the
goal is always to pay out much less than they take in.